Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Closed Thread

Old 30-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Dr Leather
Sponsor

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
There is a great deal of conflicting information on leather care being put out by leather experts themselves who use baffling pseudo scientific techno speak as another marketing ploy, which makes it difficult to find a **********, unbiased answer. Here is one ********** truth –you are dealing with the leathers finish, not the hide itself

I’ve always been amazed that such a simple detailing task like the cleaning and care of ethyl carbamate (95% of modern automotive upholstery is finished leather, a hide protected by a covering of urethane) has been made into something so complicated, it seems that the only people who have anything to gain from this have a vested interest in the sale of products.
Yes and it's even worse when certain members try to comment on topics they apparently know little about!!! Ethyl carbamate is not a polyurethane (note the word poly here) used in the finishing of leather. The finish mixtures are essentially made of various components that include polyurethanes, acrylic based binders, silicones, diluents, pigments, etc, etc. Thus your use of ethyl carbamate is VERY inaccurate....... carbamate based chains on the other hand is more correct. The devil is in the detail(ing). You need to consider all of the components in the finishing mixture and how they integrate with each other - therein lies the true skill.

Rgds,

Dr Leather

Dr Leather Ltd
E-mail: darryl@drleather.com

Last edited by Dr Leather; 30-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr Leather For This Useful Post:
ITHAQVA (30-04-2012), sprocketser (06-08-2012), Superspec (07-05-2012)
Old 30-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Aarkonite
Unwashed Member

Garage
vested interests indeed, i am gobsmacked that someone elsewhere on this thread though DR Leather at £24.99 was good value!!!!!

3 times the price of a wee bottle of gliptone i wonder if the difference in results are really worth it. IMHO
Old 30-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
ITHAQVA
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,625 Times in 2,786 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarkonite View Post
vested interests indeed, i am gobsmacked that someone elsewhere on this thread though DR Leather at £24.99 was good value!!!!!

3 times the price of a wee bottle of gliptone i wonder if the difference in results are really worth it. IMHO
I think its good value considering how long the matt finish lasts when using it
The Following User Says Thank You to ITHAQVA For This Useful Post:
Dr Leather (30-04-2012)
Old 30-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
traplin
PC Perfectionist

I was a firm believer in leather creams up until about a week ago when i realised my driver's seat was slowly but surely getting shiney. Im changing tack and certainly looking into whats what but can safely say the cream is a no no!

Im wonderimg though, with the clean and seal method, how is the leather kept nourished? Fogive my ignorance but i dont understand...if the leather is sealed and we are only cleaning the surface layer then how does this work?
Old 30-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
James_R
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Pleased as punch at the quality of the finish on my seats yesterday.

One of the lads at work saw my car for the first time today and had a look inside, thought it was brand spanking new.

Totally clean, non greasy, proper matt finish.

This 500ml bottle will personally last me ages, happy with the price if the product delivers the goods.

Thanks Dr Leather
The Following User Says Thank You to James_R For This Useful Post:
Dr Leather (30-04-2012)
Old 30-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #26
TOGWT

Location: Split between Hampstead, London and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
[Ethyl carbamate is not a polyurethane (note the word poly here) used in the finishing of leather. The finish mixtures are essentially made of various components that include polyurethanes, acrylic based binders, silicones, diluents, pigments, etc, etc. Thus your use of ethyl carbamate is VERY inaccurate....... carbamate based chains on the other hand is more correct]

I have never claimed Ethyl carbamate (also called urethane) is a component of polyurethanes. But then as a Chemical Engineer you'd know this
Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #27
Dr Leather
Sponsor

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
[Ethyl carbamate is not a polyurethane (note the word poly here) used in the finishing of leather. The finish mixtures are essentially made of various components that include polyurethanes, acrylic based binders, silicones, diluents, pigments, etc, etc. Thus your use of ethyl carbamate is VERY inaccurate....... carbamate based chains on the other hand is more correct]

I have never claimed Ethyl carbamate (also called urethane) is a component of polyurethanes. But then as a Chemical Engineer you'd know this
But your inference was that leather has only a coating of ethyl carbamate which is completely inaccurate. As a chemical engineer indeed I do know these things. So your post in truth was rather misleading......

Dr Leather Ltd
E-mail: darryl@drleather.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Leather For This Useful Post:
Walejase (21-12-2013)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
macmaw
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHAQVA View Post
I've done my own tests, if you want a matt finish that lasts ages dont condition , if you want shiny crap looking seats within 2 weeks use a conditioner

Products from LTT or Dr Leather are excellent
Which conditioner?
I use LL conditioner and don't have this problem
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #29
ITHAQVA
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,625 Times in 2,786 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaw View Post
Which conditioner?
I use LL conditioner and don't have this problem
I did use Gliptone leather conditioner before being a member of this great site perhaps the LL isn’t a conditioner in the traditional sense. Which is where some of the confusion lies these days, I’m wondering if the manufacturers of traditional conditioners have changed their products to be totally water based with no oils etc..

To condition or not to condition, I’ve done my tests, i use what works best simple, my leather looks like new, I dont care what's in but what works enough said

Dr Leather & LTT say “You don’t need no shine”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When it comes to cars "Shine on the outside, matt on the inside"
The Following User Says Thank You to ITHAQVA For This Useful Post:
Dr Leather (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
bero1306

Garage
Seems to me that there is no ********** answer on this or these threads would not keep going and going.
Closed Thread