Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
James Bagguley
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,115 Times in 938 Posts
Garage
Sooo Bought another car....

Hey DW folks,

Been out of the loop for a while, a few things to report though.

Having exhausted the possibilities for trying to find mappable engine management for the current Civic, i found there were some rare models produced in late 2003 in the "facelift" shape that run a cable operated throttle.

This is the significant feature, as most affordable ECU mapping solutions do not work with the Drive by wire used in nearly all the facelift Civic Type S models.

Its a Type S fest round my place at the mo...

Would rather have had Vivid Blue, Nighthawk Black, or another Cosmic Grey, but lost out on cars in all those colours.
This was the only example of this rare transitional model for sale in the country at the time, and beggars cant be choosers, so silver it is!

Not perfect, new alloys on the cards, hopefully get these refurbed for winters:

And the age old Honda headlight problem...

...mostly fixed!

Was getting on fine claying and sealing a panel at a time, when some careless so and so pushed past with sacks full of garden clippings and damaged the paint

Pretty much knew that it wouldnt be removed entirely by DA, as rather than cutting through the paint it is impacted into all the layers

Here are a couple of examples on the door:

A general (blurry) shot of the same area, it was plainly obvious from a distance before, but much less so now:

A better example on the roof, before:

After:

And a random scuff:

Gone!

So yeah, getting this beastie fixed up, and the door is wide open for power mods when i can get the cash together, maybe not for a while but at least the foundation is laid...
James Bagguley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Bagguley For This Useful Post:
nicole* (18-05-2015), SBM (17-06-2014), WAZ92 (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
WAZ92
Orbital Oracle

Looking forward to this. Bet your not happy with those scratches! Did you stay calm?
WAZ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WAZ92 For This Useful Post:
James Bagguley (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
James Bagguley

Garage
Relatively calm! Just really gutted TBH, still feel a bit down about it, but at least it is not as obvious now.

Dont want to disappoint, but it will be some serious time before any real mods happen, planning on a K24 swap, and a Rotrex!

Grandadmobile sleeper FTW!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
WAZ92
Orbital Oracle

I bet mate I'd be the same. Looks much better now tho so good job on that. I'm not in a rush lol I can wait. Love the old civic tho. Looks like a good one you got there.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
James Bagguley

Garage
Cheers man! Its got its issues, as with most every day cars that age, but really it is better nick than the grey one in a lot of ways.

Just fell in love with the 7th gen, the space inside for the size of the car is incredible, and the funky dash mount gear stick too!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
WAZ92
Orbital Oracle

That's what always think of. That dash gear stick. Its cool! She should fly when your done with her
Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
James Bagguley

Garage
Hopefully one day... (sigh!)
The Following User Says Thank You to James Bagguley For This Useful Post:
WAZ92 (09-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Kiashuma

Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,197 Posts
Very nice, i like the silver. What did you use on the headlamps they have come up well.

Are you selling your other Civic? Could you swap the alloys over, the other ones on your old car look better condition.
Kiashuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiashuma For This Useful Post:
James Bagguley (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
leon20v
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Looks a good one you got. How are the rear arches ? My mom has a 2004 1.6 executive in vivid blue since it was almost new. The fabric arch liner has made them rust a whole lot. Its the only negative they have with it. They love theirs for all the space it has
leon20v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leon20v For This Useful Post:
James Bagguley (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
James Bagguley

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiashuma View Post
Very nice, i like the silver. What did you use on the headlamps they have come up well.

Are you selling your other Civic? Could you swap the alloys over, the other ones on your old car look better condition.
Hey there guys! And thanks to all for your questions/comments

The Grey Civic will have to go (want to do a few jobs on the Silver one first) will pay the DW fees required before stating if its up for sale, haha!

On the lights used the DA with the M105/205, orange/white pad combo, a little odd maybe, but as i already have them knocking about it was worth a go.
Not a 100% fix, but an improvement, and there is still "meat on the bone" if i want to go more abrasive, sealed up with a couple of coats of 1000P, and C2V3 may get sloshed on too over time.

As for the alloys, the silver car although a facelift version, runs 4 stud hubs not 5, which is a sort of throwback from pre 2004 models.
It poses some issues, as you cant just swap EP3 brakes straight on, but in a perfect world i would be buying Type R knuckles, wishbones, hubs, etc. re-bushing them, and then swap them on with some beefy brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon20v View Post
Looks a good one you got. How are the rear arches ? My mom has a 2004 1.6 executive in vivid blue since it was almost new. The fabric arch liner has made them rust a whole lot. Its the only negative they have with it. They love theirs for all the space it has
Aah Vivid blue! Was really wanting that colour with some nice crisp white alloys, but it would have been less of a sleeper i guess.

Yes the rust is present on the rear arches of both cars so maybe have to look into some Dinitrol or similar.
The other place to watch is round the chrome strip on the tailgate, as it can dig into the paint.
One tiny spot on the silver car, but the Grey one is getting really pretty bad due to the neglect of previous owners

One mod in the pipeline is adding one of these from an Integra DC5:

The relay circuit for the variable intermittent setting is already present in the Civic Multiplex control unit, and its insane that Honda did not fit the variable switch as standard

Fitting requires two more wires to be run from the switch connector to the Multiplex, finding part #'s for the terminal connectors took about a week, and they are on order from Japan (since March! )

Bricking about actually fitting, as space is so tight the Multiplex unit may have to come out, and not being a pro that is a scary prospect.
Got the service manual though, so its all laid out in full, including having the ECU re-learn the engine characteristics etc.

Whoa! Essay there Cheers for looking guys

Last edited by James Bagguley; 11-06-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Stuff...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Bagguley For This Useful Post:
Kiashuma (13-06-2014), leon20v (17-06-2014)

Tags
ev1, honda civic, type s