Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 28-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Clancy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,060 Posts
Clancy's MK3 Golf

Thought i would start a project thread to keep track of everything, might be of interest to some!

A few years back i had a lovely MK3 anniversary edition, came with its share of rust of course, i sorted all that out and fitted some coilovers and a vento front end etc. absolutely loved the car even though it was pretty slow, it was just very fun to drive.

unfortunately the gearbox ate itself on the motorway one day whilst i was 300 miles away from home, resulting in a 12 hour recovery truck journey! I really wanted to fix the car but at the time you couldnt find a gearbox for love nor money so i ended up breaking it for parts and then scrapping it. here a couple of picks of the old one

completely regretted it straight after id done it, so over the next 2 years i kept and eye out looking for a nice 16v. About a year ago 2 popped up at once, went to see the closest one and i just could not resist, id never seen one in such good condition etc

picked up a 1995 16v 3 door gti with 61K miles on the clock, 3 owners. absolute complete service history, every single receipt and MOT and so on literally a huge stack of paperwork. Bodywork was in very good condition and not a spot of rust on it, and after having a previous rust bucket i knew all the hiding places for it and couldnt find any. Car was also a very good price so i snapped it up. only thing wrong with it is it had been jump started a few weeks before i got it which tripped the dash out to read 720k miles, which it clearly hadnt done! and considering all the paperwork which included a full service and cambelt only 2 months before i had no problems, guy was very genuine

now at this point i need to apologise for not having many pictures, i took loads but then i broke my phone and lost a lot.

This is how it was when i picked it up

polished up well, sorry for the poor photos

First thing i did was try to improve the headlights, simply because they are rubbish and you cant see anything at night. i ordered some r32 style projector lamps so i could fit HIDs properly

although they where quite cool as i had wired the orange turn lamps to stay on constantly, i decided pretty quickly they didnt suit the car so i sold them and went back to the standard ones but put some better quality bulbs in

next up i ordered some coilovers, i lost a photo of them out of the box though

but there they are lol. anyway next up i de wipered the rear and sprayed the rear badge black

i then ordered a set of bbs split rims off the anniversary edition, really annoyed that i lost most of these photos as i took loads. they were in a right sorry state, splits the rims. sanded down everything until they were perfectly smooth. sprayed them completely white and lacquered them, most people dont spray the outsides for some reason, in fact i dont think ive ever seen anyone do it but they came up lovely. i did have some really good quality finished shots but all i have now are some during the colour stage

after they were done i put them back together and left them for a while. my friend owns a garage so was going to get him to put some new tyres on as i know he wouldn't damage them, but he lives 100 miles away so these sat in the garage for a bit till i next went to see him

next thing was too spray the front badge to match the rear, i changed the fog lights for a new smoked set as the originals where pretty shabby. i then fly eyed the headlights to match as well. then the coilovers went on and i gave it a good wash and a hand polish

next thing to happen was the bbs got some new tyres and where fitted next time i saw my mate

starting to come together now, dont have any photos but at the same time i had a full stainless system and decat fitted as well as doing the mk3 airbox mod. left both silencers in the system so now the noise balance is perfect, nice and quite until you open it up and then its got a lovely sound to it

Thats where its at so far but ive got a load of bits to do in the near future, ordered another set of 1 piece bbs alloys which im in the process of refurbishing at the minute

to do list:

re finish the headlining as its starting to sag

change the side repeaters for smoked ones to match the front end

need to change the sill trim on one side as its snapped recently

finish and fit the other set of alloys

needs new discs and pads, going to be refitting all the suspension bushes at the same time

throttle body needs cleaning as its hunting on idle

wants a full detail, recently got a new DA so thats all waiting ready to go

thats the immediate to do list, most of which i have sat in my house i just need the time to do it. so more to come soon! Hope you enjoyed so far
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
ibiza55

Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,225 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly, nice motor, a VW when VW were made to last
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Clancy (28-04-2015)
Old 28-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Cy-Zuki
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Love a nice Golf story.
Cy-Zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cy-Zuki For This Useful Post:
Clancy (28-04-2015)
Old 28-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
enc

Garage
Clean !! My introduction to the world of VAG was a 16v mk3 in dusky mauve. I was on the look out for a 3 door 16v in black ...(.which were like rocking horse poo at the time)when a top hat in s fiat stilo run into the back of me... Writing off the mk3... About 3 years after this I saw it in the car park at the elsecar VW show... Wonder if it's still out there ?
Reg number ... L763 XAF
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enc For This Useful Post:
Clancy (28-04-2015)
Old 28-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Bigoggy

Garage
Nice !
Bigoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigoggy For This Useful Post:
Clancy (28-04-2015)
Old 28-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
yetizone

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,093 Posts
Garage
Cool - nice to see a MK3 getting some love and affection Quite quick in 16V guise too. Look forward to seeing the updates
yetizone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yetizone For This Useful Post:
Clancy (28-04-2015)
Old 28-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Clancy

Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,060 Posts
Cheers guys, yeah the 16v is pretty quick for what it is

Rev's are lazy and there's no power low down but get it up in the revs and it's very lively. Engine tone is lovely and revs to over 7.5k

Long shot but ill keep an eye out enc

I'll try get some more pics of all my bits and pieces soon
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
DJ X-Ray
Distinguished Detailer

Location: Straight outta London...in an Audi. Maxin' with fellow OG's, ballers and macks;)
Thanked 3,507 Times in 2,394 Posts
Garage
Nice, don't mind MK 3's.
DJ X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ X-Ray For This Useful Post:
Clancy (29-04-2015)
Old 29-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
BUGLASS21
Washmitt Meister

Shame about the Anni, I quite like one but pretty rare now

Look forward to following the project
BUGLASS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BUGLASS21 For This Useful Post:
Clancy (29-04-2015)
Old 29-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
enc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
C

Long shot but ill keep an eye out enc

on
Ahh, probably didn't explain myself properly... All that happened about 12-13 years ago. I ended up getting a mk4 at the time.

You are right about needing to rev them to get the best out of them 4.5k before they wake up !!
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enc For This Useful Post:
Clancy (29-04-2015)