Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Peugeot 309 GTi restoration. Latest update 11/1/17

Hello all,

Here's my ongoing restoration of a Phase 1 Peugeot 309 GTi.

Over the years I've owned variety of French tin, in the younger days I explored the modification route and learnt a lot about cars having had no actual mechanical training. In recent years I preferred the restoration and preservation ethic and bought a Mk1 AX GT, however with only 25,000 miles on the clock there wasn't much of a challenge, and a too good to refuse offer tempted it out of my hands.

A friend owned a 309 XE at the time which looked great, que the eBay and usual car sale website search for a GTi out of curiosity.
An extremely neglected looking GTi quickly popped up just a mile away, I went to see it, and just couldn't leave it sat there with a future looking not so hopeful.
Other than checking it on mycarcheck that it wasn't stolen or written off etc I really didn't care for much else... It looked to be fairly original and it needed saving!!

So with 90,000 miles, a non runner at the time of purchase (promised that it was just a knackered battery), and with just a V5C and receipt of sale to my 'history file', I had absolutely no clue when it was last taxed or MOT'd either.

Just about broke all the rules in the book there so let the fun begin and I hope you all enjoy the read.
Here is how it first arrived with me as owner number 4 in January 2014, my intentions for it.... Full restoration to 'immaculate' standard, and keeping everything to as original equipment (OE) specification as possible dependant on availability of parts.

Essentially things looked so tired and neglected that I would be pretty much starting from scratch. As DVLA had its MOT status listed as 'not held' I had to assume that with no expiry date of an MOT passed/failed since their records went computerised in 2005, that it had been off the road for around 10 years! The question being why......

Last edited by Willsy309; 11-01-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Rojer
Unwashed Member

Can't wait to see the pictures and updates for this, I think i saw a build thread for one of these but in green.
Rojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
tricky tree
Washmitt Meister

Looking forward to reading this. Loved these back in the day....
tricky tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
RSPSTEVE
Washmitt Meister

good luck , cant wait to see the updates .

Steve
RSPSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
littlejack
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Can't wait for the updates. Just a shame it's not black.
littlejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
SBM

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,563 Posts
Garage
The first Co Car I ever had was a 309 GL in this exact colour! Sub'd for sure!
Looking forward to this
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
So first things first in the quest to restore the GTi to its former glory was to give it a good wash (or several!), it was absolutely filthy and had clearly been stood under a conifer at some point as there was rotting conifer foliage absolutely everywhere.

At this point I wasn't even bothered about trying to get the engine started, however this is what awaited me;

It would be challenge but I was looking forward to it.

First up I knew that the 309 was prone to a few leaks here and there, but the paddling pool in the foot wells was my biggest concern and priority. The interior was a mouldy mess and that had to be tended to first. Sunroof filled with conifer residue and a non closing rear window were obvious contenders to being the source of the problem

Rear drivers side footwell

Front drivers side footwell needed some welding doing; both front seat subframe bolts were badly corroded which I'd feared rounding off. However the inside one snapped away completely from the frame along with some of the frame itself (can be seen in the picture). The outside front bolt point also looked dubious so would be removed and replaced

The carpet was in a horrific state, although It wasn't excessively worn. I hoped that it would clean up ok with the wet vac

And it did after spending an entire day on it with the vac which took several cycles to get the waste water to look clean. There was still some slight staining behind the heel piece on the drivers side but i was satisfied that it was as good as it would get..

The factory sound deadening which is factory glued to the underside of the carpet had also been removed. It was beyond saving and truly had smelt like a pond.
It was a day well spent but I'd still be keeping my eyes open for a better condition carpet with its original sound deadening in tact if one ever came up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
SBM (22-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The progress continued by way of cleaning up more interior pieces which were plastered in muck and mound..

First up the carpeted dash pieces which fit behind the gearstick console. They'd developed mould and we're disgusting on both sides.

And after

Then moved on to the lower rear bench. Again stained, covered in bits and slight mould

Satisfying results again, loads of muck came out of them. Slight damage to one but that could be repaired at a later date if a better condition one didn't become available in the meantime.

Another piece cleaned up on the gearstick housing, much of the interior plastics were in fairly sound condition once cleaned. A replacement gearstick gaiter would definitely be required as the original had begun to disintegrate.

Handbrake piece dismantled and cleaned up too. For those who aren't familiar with the 309 this piece houses the controls for cool feature allowing the opening of the rear windows via levers operating a cable mechanism. For those of you who are familiar with 309's you'll know that this feature rarely works after all these years, and yes it was the cause of the non closing drivers side rear window.
Most owners seem to choose to remove this feature, but not me, if it can be repaired it will be.

The Mrs was taking it remarkably well at this point considering that our house was filled with interior parts. Apparently an almost fully assembled 309 interior in the living room is not modern art!
The Following User Says Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
SBM (22-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I'd finally sold one of my former project cars at this point and had tidied the double garage significantly to allow me to get the 309 inside, give it my full attention and start stripping bits off to assess the overall body shell, moving parts and above all get rid of the rotting conifer

A reminder of what awaited me over coming days, Lovely stuff

There was even part of a bush growing behind the reflective rear panel between the rear light clusters

My evenings in front of the TV were frequently taken up by dabbling with the cleaning products. Time well spent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
RefleKtion (05-03-2016), SBM (22-12-2015), Tuddie (23-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,061 Times in 994 Posts
This will be fantastic, I'm really looking forward to this

A tip for the carpets, is coat them in carpet cleaner, leave for an hour or so, and blast with a jetwash......I did that with my light grey Calibra carpets years ago and they came up like new
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote