Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #21
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Went to pick her up today. Borrowed a van off a good mate and made my way down to the dealer 90 miles away. The dealer was having an open day and the Kawasaki H2R was there being run. My god it's loud!

Photo opportunity:

Loaded up:

Sneaking:

Safely home:

The monkey approves!!

I managed about 50 miles on it today after a couple of mates popped round on their GSXR 1000 and 955i Trophy. After 4 years of not riding, the first 5-10 miles were a bit nerve wracking but it wasn't long before I was happy tipping it in.

Next up is the fit the Ducati Performance seat and tank pad, as well as adjust the gear and brake levers to suit me better.
horico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to horico For This Useful Post:
SBM (25-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #22
Forsh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Gorgeous looking bike!

Shame it has to wear a number plate :thumbdown:

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #23
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
Gorgeous looking bike!

Shame it has to wear a number plate :thumbdown:

Cheers!

I'll hopefully be getting a tail tidy and slickly smaller plate to sort that thing out!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #24
Loudandproud205
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
For security at home just keep it in the house, hallway maybe, it's a work of art anyway and much better than pots and wax candles and everyone can stare at it while eating their tea and appreciate the curves of the Italian thoroughbred
f

I keep my 749 in my front room. Sneaking it in the first time was bit questionable as I had my NC30 in there already and she was less than sold so it lived in the hallway for a couple of nights.

But I took the NC out to the shed so it could be stripped down meaning I couldn't get 2 bikes in there I thought it through to ensure my Ducati could be tooked up nice and warm.

I've never ridden it in the rain and it lives in doors so the next owner will see how cherished it is hopefully reflecting in my sale price.
Loudandproud205 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loudandproud205 For This Useful Post:
camerashy (18-04-2016)
Old 24-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #25
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
The last two days I've managed to part detail her. Pre wash, two bucket wash, remove fallout, de-tar, clay, blow dry, tape up, machine polish and sealant applied. Matte sealant on carbon, wheels and plastic.

Then fitted a Ducati performance tank pad, Ducati comfort seat and Panigale R decals. Also fitted an optimate lead.

All that's left is a coat of swissvax crystal rock and somewhere to get some decent snaps! A few crappy pics for the time being:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to horico For This Useful Post:
chris.t (25-03-2016), potter88 (25-03-2016), SBM (25-03-2016)
Old 25-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #26
DiM3ch
PC Perfectionist

Absolutely gorgeous!
DiM3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiM3ch For This Useful Post:
horico (26-03-2016)
Old 25-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #27
SBM
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,563 Posts
Garage
Stunningly beautiful Very jealous and just the perfect time of year now to get some use of her
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SBM For This Useful Post:
horico (26-03-2016)
Old 28-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #28
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
I was fairly happy with the before and afters - after a wipe down:

Crystal rock applied and left for a day.

I buffed it off earlier and rolled it out ready for a quick blast and some photos. And it was dead. Not a bit, but a lot. Battery is all but lifeless with 0.77v. The optimate is now in but I don't think it's recoverable. I'll check it before work tomorrow and get a new battery ordered. I'd like to go for a shorai lightweight battery but my talent won't take advantage of the 2kg weight saving so I'll save my money and put it towards a phone mount and usb lead. Also still need to upgrade my security chain too.

On the subject of unexpected expenses, I lost my seat cover last week on a ride to work - it seems it wasn't clicked in properly. eBay came to the rescue and £75 later I got the replace,net ready for the detail above.

How she is tonight.... Semi naked:

I took the opportunity to check all of the fuses while the battery is off and they're all good so hopefully the new battery will sort it!
Old 18-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #29
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
So, as this is designed to be a project type thread, I best update you with recent events. I went to the bike the other day and on turning the key the rear brake lights started flashing in time with both rear indicators. No errors on The dash or anything. The bike started fine as usual but the flashing continued.

Turned it off, got angry and phoned the selling dealer as it's still under 3 month warranty. Trouble is they're 90 miles away and I need to get it to them at my cost to diagnose. Later, once calmer, I stuck my lid on and went down the road close to me. On anything more than a tickle of throttle, the power disappeared and the amber light in the centre of the shift lights came on. The speed then read 0 on the dash before going back to showing actual speed.

Clearly it's electrical, the last time I was out the rain was biblical. My first thoughts are 'really?' But that won't help. I called my local dealer before the ride and they suggested it might be a corroded connector on the ecu. I didn't know about the issues found on the ride at the time.

I searched a few forums online and the errors closely match 'can line' errors and the BBS playing up / corroded connectors. I rang the AA and they arranged to pick the bike up the next day and take it the 90 miles to the dealer.

All was going well as I could see the bike on its way down the M1 according to the tracker. Shortly after arrival I got a call from the dealer telling me there was good news and bad news. The good news was the bike had arrived. The bad news was that the driver lost his balance and dropped the bike on its side unloading it. I was told it was luckily only the bar end and clutch lever that got a scuff.

After speaking to the AA people etc, I popped down today to view the bike in person and inspect the damage. Unfortunately, the service guys pointed out a few more things which had been noticed since. I also had a look round and the current list of damage is as follows:

1. Clutch lever
2. Left bar end
3. Left mirror housing
4. Cracked left upper fairing
5. Bent gear lever
6. Damage from gear lever impacting bottom left fairing
7. Both steering pins on bottom yoke sheared off

Current total is £1450 inc vat for parts only, no labour. An assessor is coming out to view the bike and hopefully the repairs will be authorised shar****. Pics of damage below:

Last edited by horico; 18-04-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 18-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #30
muzzer

Thanked 4,087 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Oh for goodness sake, you buy something nice and expect the 'professionals' to take care of your pride and joy when transporting it and they go and do that. Sorry to hear that horico, hopefully she will be back with you soon and looking her best again