Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 19-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
C16RKC's Jaguar X358 XJ Sovereign

Well I've been absent from the Detailing world forums for a few months now, things are starting to calm down on the DIY front at home so I thought I would start another project thread like I used to have.

Some may remember my last thread on my old Mercedes S320 CDi:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=354940

Well back at the beginning of the year I pretty much decided I fancied a change, so then I went on the hunt for a car to replace the Merc.

I tried the Jaguar X351 but I just could not bring myself to like it... the interior looks like a 70's retro disco and the exterior looks like a dead badger. So the search continued... 7-series, S-class and A8 models had the spec I wanted but their styling is a little bland and that was what I was trying to avoid. I toyed with the idea of that Bentley Arnage that I'd always promised myself but I just could not take a risk on a car I do so many miles in.

So eventually I decided to go for looks over features and in February after 3 months dithering I finally went for a nice Jaguar X358 Sovereign:

I decided to go for the lowest mileage model I could afford and she had 44,000 miles on the clock when I bought her. That's since just passed 60,000 now. I've forgiven the old X358 for the rather basic spec and accepted the slightly crashy ride you get with these and you know what - I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of ownership.

I had totally forgotten what it was like to own a car that turned heads everywhere it went and I now turn to have one last look before I go back into the house each day. I'm smitten...
c16rkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
Cookies (19-09-2016), enc (27-03-2017), SBM (21-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
OK so next update; what she was like then I received my X358.

Unfortunately the old girl was far from perfect, sure she looked very nice from a distance but I went over it with a toothcomb and found no end of blemishes that bothered me. These photos were taken the very day I took delivery of her:

There were also scuffs on two of the wheels and all four wheel centres were corroded:

I went over the interior for faults and other than two nasty cigarette burns that nearly put me off buying the car it was actually pretty good inside; just a bit grubby in places. I'm the 3rd owner and I met the 2nd who did not smoke, so I can only assume the 1st owner was the smoker. But the ashtrays still had evidence so he must not have cleaned it very well:

Well I still had Lindsey's Merc and it was insured; so the Jag sat on the drive for a week while I decided what to do and I continued to add miles on the Merc. I decided I wanted the car to be detailed and protected before I used it so it would be easier to look after and wanted all the little niggles sorted too. So I purchased a replacement door handle and arranged for a local detailer 'World of detailing' in Chatteris to carry out the work.

He would take the car for a week and I told him not to worry to much about getting rid of every last swirl (they will only reappear!) but I wanted it spotless in and out and I wanted the two marked wheels refurbished and the dent removed. I also asked for a Nanolex coating to make the car easier to clean. I dropped the car off and left for Texas on business; I eagerly waited to pick up my freshly detailed car. Andy Allgood who runs World of detailing made a big fuss about how much he loved Jags and how it would make a change from the boring Porches he usually details. The cost was pretty steep at a little over £1,000 but I decided to treat myself this once.

Will update further soon....
Old 19-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Next update I think...

So I returned home from an overseas trip one Sunday lunchtime and went straight over to the detailers to pick up my car. I was particularly excited to have a perfectly clean car to drive around in that I could just keep on top of. Anyway I drove over to the detailers and it was inside his detailing bay. It looked marvellous and I looked at the bodywork under his strip-lights and was impressed at how flawless the paintwork looked. Andy at World of detailing had removed pretty much every swirl possible and the car gleamed. I opened the door and saw all the floor mats had been striped with the vacuum cleaner; a bit like you would do to your lawn - a nice touch I thought.

By the time I got home it was dark so I did not really get the chance to take any pictures or have a thorough look. However I was pleased to have my car back. The next morning it was on to work and although the car looked gleaming in the car park I did not really have the chance to look at it properly until the following weekend. However during the week, driving it I did start to realise that the interior did not really look like it had been cleaned very well. It was only me going backwards and forwards in it but I noticed dust and muck trapped in all the little corners - just like it was before it went in and there were smears all over the wood trim; just like before it went in. I started to wonder if it had really been cleaned properly?

So when Saturday morning arrived I went out and had a better look.

I walked round the car and checked the paintwork - it was a little dirty from the week's use, but it had not rained so still looked pretty decent. One of the first things I noticed was that the exhaust trims were filthy. I've cleaned these on dozens of cars and I knew there was no way all that appeared in one week. I cleaned one to see how easy it would be. This is what I achieved after 2 minutes with some Autosol:

So then I started looking closer and I noticed that while the boot and bonnet were perfect and swirl free, the front and rear bumpers were not and neither were the doors and wings. They looked nice and shiny but still fairly swirly. I did not dwell on this too much as I said right from the start this did not concern me but I did feel a bit disheartened. I then opened the doors to look at the interior - expecting the worst...

The following was the line in Andy Allgoods e-mail to me:

Quote:
Interior would be cleaned and treated with Swissvax Leather products, carpets would be steam cleaned as would the roof lining all wood capping’s would be treated with Swissvax wood wax, all glass cleaned in and out
This is what I found - after 5 days driving me back and forth to work:

Now I don't think he cleaned this at all! I picked the car up in that condition...

Now unfortunately I have been very busy in the garden, those fence & trees that some of your saw in the pictures of the back of my garden are now gone; as is the tarmac and I didn't end up calling Andy to ask him about it. He seemed like a great guy and I keep thinking; perhaps he would not normally clean the exhausts and chrome work as part of a detail unless its asked for? Perhaps he forgot he was supposed to do the interior and though it was an exterior only job? But I have his itemised quote and I payed for the whole shooting match. After seeing some of the amazing work they do on detailing world (of which he is not a member and of whom he joked were a bit 'b-i-t-c-h-y') I was expecting much more. I was also surprised he didn't touch the engine bay but this is the one thing that was not listed on his quote.

Its far too late now and in hindsight I should have made the time to speak to Andy and let him expain... but it goes to show you can spend £1,000 on a car and get very little in return! I have no idea how much these people with Lamborginis and Ferraris on detailing world spend?

In fairness to Andy Allgood I should have approached him and gave him the chance to sort this out, I just got too busy... But I am still shocked that any detailer would allow a car to go out like this and it was not the pleasant experience I was expecting.
The Following User Says Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
kvn618 (29-10-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
So anyway moving on have to confess I've not taken many pictures of the car itself; however I have been taken them of the garden as we've being doing work to it - which luckily has also featured plenty of the car too. Here are a couple I found that show our old Mercs and the new replacement Jags which I found amusing:

Here's one not long after I got the car back from the detailers:

Then I have some more as we were clearing the garden (important to keep the car clean even when you're doing a lot of work!):

Then we took the car to Wales in May and I though the car looked nice in front of the little cottage we hired for the week, unfortunately this was just Lindsey taking pictures so we could remember what it was like so the car was not the main feature. But it still looks nice:

A couple at the local reseroir:

And one taken at Raglan castle:

Then one of Lindseys work colleagues got married in June. She was originally going to use out old two Mercs as wedding cars; but as Lindsey said to her she got a lucky upgrade and both cars were cleaned inside and out. Unfortunately the rain didn't hold off and it poured down as I was just finishing off... here's some pictures I snapped just as it started to rain.

But luckily the clouds cleared a little later for the wedding. I bought some quick detailer and Microfiber and cleaned of the last of the rain drops just as the bride was getting ready last minute! I got some snaps at the church as everyone was having group photos:

Then lastly I managed a quick snap one evening, the car has been backwards and forwards to work all week but we took a last minute snap in the evening. I think we were actually taking a few snaps of the garden; as you can see its changed somewhat. I'm now finishing the pathway and patio (crazy paving) and then I've got some rendering to do on the house.

If anyone is curious this is what I've been up to.... still a long way to go and the year is running out fast....

Looking at all these its glaringly obvious I have none of the interior! I shall see if I can take some soon and post them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
SBM (21-09-2016), williamsclio1 (19-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
MadOnVaux!
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,070 Times in 1,003 Posts
Awesome car, brilliant pictures and write up too

I agree with you that it is a poor standard of detailing to still leave bits in it like that....even when I'm doing cars for mates etc I still get the brushes out and get into as much nook and cranny as I can....they don't look like they bothered
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadOnVaux! For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (21-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
graham1970

Did I read this right....they charged you one thousand English pounds to"detail" your car?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
graham1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to graham1970 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (21-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
That's a lovely machine but I would be fuming if I were being charged £1000 and I got the car back like that! I suppose it's not so bad if the wheels have been done and the damage by the DVD screen sorted and the dents and paint etc but to leave the interior like that is not acceptable for such a level of service IMO. At least you can enjoy sorting it yourself though Nice to back in a Jaaaaaaaag
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoOkIeMoNsTeR For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (21-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Thanks Guys, yes that detailer did disappoint me. Espectially seeing as he has a proper website and is a very established business.

Your questions regarding the cost got me wondering and I dug out the invoice. Must admit I never read it at the time; just paid, but it reads:

Dent removal £90
Paint correction and Sealant £465
Paint repair to chips and scrapes £300
Fit new door handle to rear £54 (which he did not do as he said it turned out to be a dealer job)
Interior clean including steam rood lining £102
Refurbishment of 2 wheels £144

TOTAL £1,155

I'm actually more annoyed now as I realise he even itemised the things he didn't do on the bill. The whole reason I had the detail was because I literally had no time at all; work was driving me mad and if I wasn't working I was doing things to the house. I do wish I had made time to speak to him in hindsight though.

I do enjoy detailing though, and I enjoyed giving it a good clean before that wedding. Will find time for more sessions before the year is out I am sure.

My next project is replacing the old fashioned Satnav screen with a higher resolution one and adding Android interface... updates will follow when I've completed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
SBM (21-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
So you're at least £102 worth of work missing and no door handle installed. Not ideal but not enough lose sleep over now you haven't had a chance to sort it. At least nothing major was missed but I would not be happy the tail pipes weren't touched, very shoddy IMO. Looks the biz now you've done them though and the big rear plate fills the rear out nicely. Look forward to seeing the stereo updates!
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoOkIeMoNsTeR For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (21-09-2016), SBM (21-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,743 Times in 3,718 Posts
If he's charged you for things he's not done, that's bad.

However, 5 days after driving about you've noticed smears and dirt? That's what happens normally after 5 days.

Nice car. Old Jags still have class.
Kerr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
SBM (21-09-2016)