Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 13-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #21
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

Nice car...
Detailer looks like another one of the "experts" that know how to charge more than anything else...
No doubt they would argue about what you asked for,and what they did but looking at the website...you would imagine a better job considering...

"Andy Allgood Director of the World of Detailing Ltd is a highly talented and experienced professional"
" Andy is a perfectionist"
"We then complete the exterior detail by sealing the wheels and glass, dressing the tyres, trims and engine bay as well as polishing the exhaust tips."
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aka.eric For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (13-10-2016)
Old 13-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Crikey, your post made me curious to look at the website again and I saw this:

http://www.worldofdetailing.co.uk/ultimate-detail

I never realised the details actually start at £385.00 on his website and include much more than he did for me. How the hell he thought over £1,000 was fair I'll never know... Still all in the past now, I'll probably stick to doing it myself now, but if there is a next time I'll choose my detailer more carefully!
c16rkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
SBM (28-10-2016)
Old 13-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #23
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

Ive learnt alot from this site...its excellent.But...I rarely look at the "Studio" section anymore.
There was a detailer who put how much he,d charged in the title...almost as if he was bragging what he could charge
The detailer who maps the car with a paint thickness gauge,used without the coupling gel...when the only layer that matters is the clearcoat...looks good and he can charge for it.
Ive only ever seen one detailer demonstrate how changing the angle of the light can make the swirls magically disappear on photos
It makes perfect sense to spend £5k on a detail if it adds £10k to the selling price.
No doubt there are enough people who dont mind spending £1000,s on a car wash.
Charging what you can get away with isnt a crime
I prefer the threads where the bloke has done it himself...no bullsh*t.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aka.eric For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (13-10-2016), saabfan (24-10-2016)
Old 24-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #24
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Well although I have my touchscreen upgrade project bubbling along; there has not been much progress lately as I need to take the car dash apart and am never really in the mood for such a lot of work on my daily driver.

So because there has been no 'hard graft' cleaning in this thread yet (owing to how busy we've been of late, what with my rendering and crazy paving patio laying) and because my old Jag had not been cleaned for around 4 weeks, I decided to give the car a thorough seeing to!!!

With my 160 mile a day commute along tractor infested roads it was looking very sorry for itself. Sunday was a nice day, so I decided to avoid any work on the house and instead enjoy a Jag cleaning day. Even did Lindsey's car too!

Here are some scary before shots:

So then wash process. I always rinse my cars with open hose, then Jet them, then snow foam them, then jet them again... then the wash process starts with 2 bucket method. I then rinse with use an open hose.

The sun was setting so I only just got these... but then after a few hours drying with microfibre, wiping with Nano solution, thoroughly cleaning the interior and dressing tyres:

Some of the interior:

I was really pleased... this is what I was expecting when it came back from the detailer!!!

That's it for now.. should keep her tidy for a little while. I really enjoyed the day I wish I had the time to do this every week like I used to. Thanks for reading!
SBM (25-10-2016)
Old 24-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #25
MadOnVaux!
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,073 Times in 1,005 Posts
That looks beautiful

Is there anyway of 'tightening-up' that perforated leather drivers seat without major re-upholstery?

It always annoys me (and I'm sure it does you too) how perforated leather does that....it makes any car look like it's done ALOT of miles.
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #26
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
That looks beautiful

Is there anyway of 'tightening-up' that perforated leather drivers seat without major re-upholstery?

It always annoys me (and I'm sure it does you too) how perforated leather does that....it makes any car look like it's done ALOT of miles.
Thanks - yes perforated leather always does it, if it's not ripping down the holes like it did on my old Merc.

There's no fix that I am aware of, although I have found this stuff helps a little:

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/merchant.m...Code=SE1042592

At least it got rid of the indentations I had on my back seat, which looked to be from a child seat of all things. They are completely gone now.
MadOnVaux! (25-10-2016)
Old 24-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #27
Ravinder

Sorry to hear of your detailing experience. That's a joke. But a cracking car.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #28
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

It is possible to tighten up the leather on the seats,including perforated...whether its worth the cost and hassle is another matter.Also if there is anyone local to you...
Theory is the leather in your car should not stretch anymore...should be a viable repair.
This chap was not happy when the leather stretched from day one in a brand new car
Some folk reckon the quality of the leather upholstery on newer BMW,s is poor...this chap had the work carried out by a firm in London,after BMW basically did not want to know.
Bottom of the page for before/after...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=784559&page=7
The Following User Says Thank You to aka.eric For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (28-10-2016)
Old 28-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #29
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
That was an interesting post Aka.eric. The video in that thread where they restore 2 seats is incredible. Not sure I'd dare take a hair drier to my seats mind.... I would also wonder what the effect might be on Perforated leather like mine.
Old 28-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #30
SBM

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,563 Posts
Garage
Great work on the Jags c16rkc what are the pro's and cons compared to the Mercs you had?

Keep up the good work
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SBM For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (28-10-2016)