Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #41
storm2284
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to storm2284
loving seeing this, cant wait to see the finished product!
storm2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to storm2284 For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (10-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #42
Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Thanks,chose this for some track-day use and should still be not too harsh to use on the road and also can match this up with the Gaz coilovers at the front,what's your set-up on your 106?
I've got 23mm torsion bars, 350lb springs, Pugsport tarmac front and rear dampers. Massively overkill for what I'm going to be using it for, but I plan to run it low and remove the front ARB.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #43
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Quick update,took off the steering wheel and found out 4 of the 6 allen bolt had sezied and of course they all rounded off (even with an impact no luck),only put medium loctite on them so that's a lesson not to do that ever again,will only use copper grease:

Inevitably the paint got a little scratched up while drilling the bolts out so I coulnd't leave it like that so took it down to bare metal:

But then saw the suede leather was really worn out and faded so took that off as well and only left the soft padding and will get it professionaly retrimmed at some point,for now gave it 2 coat of the Electrox:

I needed one end plate for the ARB so went for the first time to a "pick a part" scrapyard and got one off a 106 and the whole ARB with end plates was just 4£,highly suggest to pay it a visit if never been there,before:

After the Deox-C:

2 coats of Electrox:

Painted up the rear anti roll bar in black metallic:

Pressed on one of the end plates with plenty of grease and applied some clear silicone to prevent dirt getting in:

So after a quick search found out that the company that makes a replacment blanking panel for the roof that I was interested in doesn't deserve any money due to the way they do business (or don't) so went ahead and made one on my own.
Orignally thought about using 3m tape to hold it in place which is designed for trims,spoilers,panels etc but this is heavier than I'm comfortable with for that option so 14 bolts will be used in conjuction,same locations as the standard sunroof.
The total weight of the panel I made is around 2,8 kg due to it being mild steel but still a lot even though it remains 6,5 kg lighter than the original sunroof assembly so I'm okay with that.

Blanking panels for the boot:

Started with the rear bench same as what I did with the boot,just a picture of the before for now:

Ground down some tabs,bumps and lots of studs that were triggering me:

Also removed the original rear windows catches as will be using polycarbonate and these cannot be used:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 14-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (14-07-2017)
Old 21-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #44
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Finished up the other end plate:

Painted up the steering wheel in black metallic,pics don't show it very well but I like the color (still need to apply lacquer):

Bench and other section in bare metal,don't need to do the top as well as that will be covered by the sunroof:

Primed after 3 hours of brushing lol:

Painted up the steering rack as wasn't liking how it looked,not as much preparation as I would have liked but I can't bring myself to strip it for now so this will do:

Got rid of all the brackets of the sunroof,you can see where the corrosion had started doing damage:

Got all 14 rivnuts in,not a very fun job,took 2 hours and half though the quick clamp was a huge help keeping the tool steady:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 28-07-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 26-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #45
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Just a quick update,started appying the top coat on the interior,not finished it yet but couldn't resist taking a picture lol.

Also,it's time to get the driver arch primed up as it stood in bare metal for far too long,so started wire brushing and applying the gel from where I left it off.

Wishbone support before:

After:

Smoothed out the bumps I would find:

After:

And the rest of the arch,still need to clean up (and cut out a small bit) some of the corners but the important is the big areas are protected:

Removed the last bit on the driver arch that's spot welded in so I can clean behind it before welding the new panel in:

Spot weld drill bit slipped and got my hand lol:

Some progress on the passenger arch,before:

Used a flap wheel to get rid of the surface rust and cut out the metal that was too far gone,left it with the Deox now:

After appying the Deox once:

After x2:

After x3:

After x4:

Got a rubber top and vice on the new workbench,comes in handy and the top is easy to clean up and protects the wood underneath:

Primed,altough did a poor job of it due to the weather (was raining quite a lot) and some of the seams were not fully dry and messed up the brush,will come back to it,still have to cut some of the metal where the rubber grommet usually is:

Started on the rear arch as well,picture below is before doing any work:

After x5:

After x6:

And after x7:

Testing up the sunroof panel fitment,looks half decent (just primed,finishing painting it up now):

Had to take off a small portion of the strut top as there was rust lurking behind it and it the only way to treat it so I can seam seal it once that's taken care of,before:

Infact the panel behind was corroded:

Will be applying the Deox for the corrosion left:

Quick update on the passenger top after a few applications:

Resumed the work on the driver underside rear,as I had left it:

Wire brushed off the underseal (they went a bit overkill with that in places) and left the rest with the gel:

Also,been thinking about this for a while so made the decision and some holes appeared in the rear bumper lol,the reason behind it is that once the spare wheel and cage is removed air might get 'trapped' against the lower part of the bumper creating resistance and this is intended to avoid that,probably unnecessary but wanted to give it a try nonetheless:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 15-08-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old 26-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #46
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Look good
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (29-07-2017)
Old 13-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #47
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Hi,just a quick update.

Clear coated the steering wheel,was interested in retrimming it professionally but was quoted 150£ for that so I'll have to reconsider,I think I'll have a go myself following the video that ChirisFix (not sure if anybody follows him here) posted about it which explains it very well.

Done the torsion bars as well,along with the offeset washers that I had done made in stainless steel to prevent corrosion:

Treated the axle mounting points with the Dynax,there's still one of them left which is currently being treated with the Deox as it has some rust:

Before:

After:

And blanked off:

Battery box:

Primer part of the rear driver arch which was clean of rust:

Paasenger before:

After:

Driver:

After:

Just out of curiosity weighed all the tar removed and a very small part of the dashboard floor deadening,minus the weight of the white box it weighs 2,3kg.

I wasn't completely happy with the rust removal at the underside rear with the tow hook still in place as it made access impossible to remove the rest of the corrosion and I would have just used the Dynax where I couldn't reach but I wanted a more "permanent way" option,so this had to happen (as you can see to the right the rail was already damaged by the rust so this will be a oppurtinty to fix that as well):

Before:

Ouch:

The "blackness" you see it's just the wax.

Used a mirror and the bottom of the rail doesn't look too bad,treating with the gel now:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 18-08-2017 at 09:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (13-08-2017)
Old 14-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #48
lincolndanny
Washmitt Meister

Fantastic level of commitment, keep going it will be worth it
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (14-08-2017)
Old 24-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #49
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Painting up the bonnet supports,took them down to bare metal (forgot to take picture as it was dark) and gave 2 coats of Electrox,before:

The rear axle mount on the bench passenger side was the worst one regarding corrosion,had no option but to cut some metal as the sill behind was damaged,very small space to do anything so couldn't be as precise as I would have wanted,this obviously will need welding but for now this should help avoid it getting worse over time.

Picture below was before doing any work,I'm guessing there was a leak somewhere in the rear windows that ended up making it so bad even tough the original blanking grommet was still in place:

This is as much as I was able to clean it up,then coated with 2 coats of Hydrate-80 and 2 of Dynax:

The rest of the mounts (other than the one I already posted in the prevoius post) luckily look okay,those got coated with the Dynax as well:

Well,resuming on the driver underside rear,spotted some corrosion inside the seam on the left lifting point,no point in cleaning and painting one side if rust will eat up the metal on the other.

From there,it escalated quite quickly,not happy about having to keep cut stuff off as feels like taking step backwards but had to do it to fix it properly:

The panel behind wasn't looking too good:

Will clean it up completely and paint it up soon.
The corrosion had only spread a centimeter or so from around the lifting point inside the panel so I will be able to clean that up and protect the inside with the Dynax.

Preparing the interior floor for painting so went ahead and removed all the unused studs:

Also thought rivnuts would look tidier (not fitted here yet) so cut off the ones for the gearstick too:

Since from what I can gather handbrake light isn't testable in the MOT and wasn't working anyway I've removed that:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 24-08-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 26-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #50
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatttty View Post
Great thread and write up look forward to more!

Alex
Thank you,only a few days ago I came across your thread and went trough about 40 pages so far,what an incredible amount of quality work and detail you are doing,I can only aspire to that lol,thanks for the comment,congrats and good luck with your project.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 27-08-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Tags
even more rust, feelsbadman, more rust, rust