Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Stubborn Dirty Wheels

So I managed to grab a few hours this afternoon to start thoroughly cleaning them ready for applying C5. I managed to get the fronts done and I'm pretty pleased, but I couldn't get the back of the wheels spotless. My process was as follows, bilberry wheel cleaner, PW, snow foam, PW, hand wash, PW, tar remover, PW, iron remover, PW and then clay bar before thorough drying and buffing and finishing with C5.

The whole process naturally took some time, but really it was only scrubbing with clay bar that made real improvements to the baked on dirt, even then there are still patchy baked on bits. I'm not sure what I could have done better and I worked hard! Bit disappointing though, hopefully I applied the C5 ok so that'll cheer me up on future washes.

I won't be re-doing the fronts now the C5 has been applied, but does anyone have any advice on deep cleaning the rears?
G.Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 2,663 Times in 1,540 Posts
Garage
Moved to the correct section
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Forsh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I've too have found clay is best for the stubborn bits

I've used BH Regular clay with good effect what clay did you use?

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
hyburnate
Sponge Jockey

Perhaps a stronger wheel cleaner first? Not sure what difference it would make if any.
hyburnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,244 Posts
Garage
This is where the really powerful acidic (or alkali) wheel cleaners can have a use as a one off. Still, now they're sealed with C5 they should be a breeze to keep right.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Thanks all, and apologies for posting in the wrong section. I used a stronger dilution of wheel cleaner than normal, although I suspect something acidic probably would be needed. I used an Auto Finesses clay bar and lots of elbow grease!

I got rushed towards the ends as the kids got fed up with waiting for me to finish (fair enough!) so forgot to use panel wipe before the C5. Not having used the stuff I'm hoping it won't have reduced the effectiveness...I think I worry too much sometimes lol!

When cleaning after applying C5, is it simply a matter of snow foam, pressure wash then dry/buff?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,147 Posts
Snow foam will clean most of the dirt away but you will still need to wash with a mitt and two buckets to remove the traffic film.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Cheers Gonz
The Following User Says Thank You to G.Fraser For This Useful Post:
great gonzo (19-06-2017)
Old 19-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Hi all, just thought I'd update this thread. First wash yesterday after applying the C5 to my front wheels last week. I was dead excited earlier in the week so sloshed a bit of water on to see what would happen, not a lot it seemed at the time. However, when washing yesterday they did seem to clean up very easily, bearing in mind they were still fairly clean from last weekend. They also felt nice and slippery, so the C5 did something! Anyway, very pleased so far, just need to see how long it lasts and how it fares with really dirty wheels. At least it seems I didn't mess up the C5 application, although I'll do it better next weekend when I do the rears.

Here are some pics:

1) Rears - This is following Bilberry wheel cleaner, snow foam, PW rinse than quick wash with the mitt then another rinse. N.B Fancy new wheel nuts and fresh centre caps to go on the rears at the weekend when I have the wheels off.

2) Fronts - No wheel cleaner, snow foam, PW rinse than quick wash with the mitt then another rinse. Lots of beading!

Old 19-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
FJ1000
Sponge Jockey

I find with C5 on my wheels, all they typically need is wheel cleaner (I use Gtechniq), leave for 5min, jet wash, dry. Unless they're filthy, in which case I'll agitate with a brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FJ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote