Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 13-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,426 Posts
Garage
Bus Route, Police etc.

Apologies for the ambiguous thread title but it is a bit of strange scenario.

To give you some background, I live on a small road with a large school situated in an adjacent road. None of the residents are any illusions about school kids etc so this is not so much a case of "not in my back yard" but for me a genuine question someone on here may be able to answer.

To try and disperse the pupils from the school, two double decker buses turn up at 15.20, turn around and wait along my road. To be honest there's a number of reasons why it's a bad idea but to give you context.

Here is the island the buses turn round....

..and on the left (by the lady on the pavement) the two buses park and wait.

I'll be honest, it's a bit of a weird one. The bus stops shown are marked out for a single decker bus which goes round the houses (lots of elderly) and are only active Mon-Sat, they're not marked as for the school bus.

Anyway, moving on to yesterday afternoon. My other half sends me a couple of pictures of a situation which unfolded leaving a bus beached and blocking the junction for around 2 hours!

The driver decided that rather than reverse or try and take it wider, he'd drive over the island and get stuck. Genius!

Here's my question though. The bus driver kicked off at a chap who was moving in to a new house and had parked his car outside his house (just in front of where the blue Clio is in the first picture). He shouted at the guy for "parking on a f*cking bus route" and the poor guy was called an f-ing C by one of the recovery guys because he dared to answer back to being had a go at. They were adamant it was all his fault!

According to a couple of sources I was told that the bus drivers should try and find the owner of a car if it is in the way and if they can't to contact the Police who will. I can't help finding this really odd as there are no parking restrictions (except the bus stops themselves) so what can the Police actually do? What if someone is on holiday, will they tow the vehicle away? The road has no indications that this bus service even exists on this route so can't even argue that the bus stops show the bus number.

Apologies for the long winded post, I just thought I'd call on the knowledge of DW to see if there were any answers. Can a bus company simply spring up a route, not place markings/restrictions/signage and then blame people who are parked in their way or have them towed?
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex_225 For This Useful Post:
Snowy172 (18-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,211 Times in 4,324 Posts
No they cant just spring one up I once had an incident with a bus pull out without indicating I was on the grass to get past without accident, Bus driver said when I stopped and said he did not need to use his indicators this was a main A road not in town, he was aggressive so I called the cops they said what is the guys name and what company we will be paying them a visit, that made my day.
If he parked on a bus stop or double lines than yes its a problem if he was blocking the route then the driver should use common sense if he had any to get car moved , that's my take on it.
No offence to bus drivers but that guy could easily see that was not going to work
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017), Alfa male (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
audi mike
Sponge Jockey

The highway code does say you are not supposed to park within 10m of a junction so looking at your pictures there should be no cars parked where the clio is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
audi mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to audi mike For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

He can park there all day long as there's no markings at all. I'm surprised that parents picking their kids up don't park along there as it seems kids no longer have legs.

Regarding the parking on a bus route don't they out double red lines like in London so you can't stop at all? Can't see it been a bus route have any bearing on where you park, it's the single/double yellows that dictate if you can park or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,426 Posts
Garage
In terms of the parents parking, the school is actually well past the the island, at the end of the road and on the right. The irony is the parents park far closer than the school busses do.

I see the point about the parking near the junction, highway code and all that and can't disagree although that said, in terms of the size of the island and parking along that stretch on the right. Where that neighbour was parked would potentially be within the law.

Slight digression though as my question is more related to affect it has on a bus route that's not officially there.
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
nbray67
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,673 Posts
Garage
The bus driver must be at fault as he's deliberately driven over the island.

The road is basically to small for buses to be doing those kind of turns.

Surely, if it was a designated island for them to go around, it would be marked up like a roundabout and dble yellow lines on the road adjacent to it.
nbray67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,091 Times in 3,722 Posts
Garage
In my book, the bus driver has been driving without due care and attention, at the very minimum. Why would he have tried to turn across that island when anyone with any degree of competence would have known the bus wouldn't make that turn.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017), Mikesphotaes (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
andy665

Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,952 Posts
As has already been said, should not really be parking directly opposite a junction but when I have challenged a police officer patrolling outside my sons scool I was told that that was "merely advisory" - to be honest I don't think he knew or cared what the law actually is

Definitely not a bus route and someone being parked opposite a junction does not get away from the fact that the bus driver was a dick
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi mike View Post
The highway code does say you are not supposed to park within 10m of a junction so looking at your pictures there should be no cars parked where the clio is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True but has anyone ever got a ticket for doin so in a residential area?

They could make a killing near me! Looking at the pic they seems to be more than enough space for traffic.

Doesn't make it right I know but if the council think there's an issue they will yellow line it. Like they have near some of the junctions on my lego land estate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
macca666

Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,119 Posts
Garage
Although the bus driver is clearly a fool and I'd say he's at fault for this I'd also agree with audi mike in that the Clio driver is committing an offence by parking opposite or within 10m of a junction unless in an authorised parking space ie a disabled bay.
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macca666 For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (13-07-2017)