Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > DW TV > Wash & Clay (TV)
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17-05-2016, 01:52 AM   #21
cheekymonkey
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzzak View Post
I have an uber and have no problems with it I can dry my A5 with it and its not wet through when I have finished
A great towel, has been a favorite on here for a while. It got full marks for actually drying the car and thats what matters. Some of the other marking was simply pointless and of no use
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #22
RealR0cknr0lla
Orbital Oracle

good video again - well done. would have loved to see the Def Wax Concours drying towel in the test against the Silverback xl.

again good video & thanks.
RealR0cknr0lla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,084 Times in 1,927 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samion View Post
I thought the music was fine, till I heard 2pac swearing his mouth off. Great track, but not for kids.

More to the point... Who watches this stuff with children around? Actually I do..
Ah, didn't get that far. Point taken.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #24
donnyboy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
So what were the best towels? Cant watch video in work.

Anyone got links for buying them too?
donnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #25
A&J

Thanked 1,195 Times in 869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy View Post
So what were the best towels? Cant watch video in work.

Anyone got links for buying them too?
3rd place = Monster Microfiber Purple Monster

2nd place = Gyeon Silk dryer & Fireball Twist

1st place = KKD silverback
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
DarrylB (17-05-2016), donnyboy (17-05-2016)
Old 17-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
A&J

Delboy

First of all thanks for the review
I can understand that a lot of effort / time / money was needed for doing it.

One thing I think you didnt consider and it may be important is how well they perform on a car that does not have protection. That factor may vary from towel to towel and could change the winner. EDIT (Like you mentioned the fluffy ones hold a lot of water but once they get saturated they are useless. Im betting that on a unprotected car you would need at least 2 fluffy towels which is a downside. And here the lesser GSM towels would benefit as you can easily wring them and continue drying so they are better price/performers IMO)

Also I am interested how you look at higher GSM in a microfiber and if it really does make it better. EDIT (The way I see it. Microfiber fibers are good at holding water. So if the towel is very dense lets say 1000 GSM the fibers will hold a limited quantity of water and fibers will grow or densen before they interfere with each other. In other words they reach that maximum water absorbancy level quicker than those with lower GSM as the fibers can not expend more. So in order for them to hold more water the fibers should be less dense or more apart for them to soak up the maximum amount of water. Its also easyer to wring and dry microfibers with less GSM. Just my thoughts, correct me if Im wrong.)

I listened to a Optimum podcast with The Rag Company as guests talking about microfibers.

In their thinking there is a limit where more GSM just means more GSM and does not make it a better towel. All their towels are between 240 and 500 GSM as they believe that is enough except the Everest 800GSM and 1100GSM. Their Pluffle is 400 GSM and Avalanche is 460GSM.

Listen from 26min
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/...ast/id/4343573

Lots of other useful information too.

Last edited by A&J; 17-05-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 17-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #27
delboy828
Sponge Jockey

great post A and J...

these towels have been tested on 3 cars... the golf was sealed about 6 months ago and the seal has gone.. the golf got hit with loads of different details sprays about 3 weeks ago but they are pretty much gone... the van had no protection nothing... and also tested with a friend on a BMW with no protection... I wanted the cars to be as wet as possible basically... In the shots the golf bonnet it looks like it beads a lot.. thats mainly down to the clearcoat being decent and the way I put the water on it.

the GSM debait... For me the dense towels store more water than the less dense one.. thats a totally proveable fact with the saturation tests. but also what I noticed is the less dense ones become saturated quicker (pound for pound) than the dense towels... for example the 460 GSM avalanche offer hits saturation a lot quicker than the 1200 gsm AF delux.. That again is something that was really obvious and you dont have to be CSI miami to notice...

Does being too dense interfere with the "efficiency" of the towels ability to absorb water, I think is what you are saying... Quite simply I dont think it does (at least upto 1200 GSM) dont know if you can go beyond that and this could beocme a problem.. but you wouldnt want to go above 1200 i think...

No for me its quite simple... In terms of horse power... the denser towels have more of it... And their density does not interefere with their ability to absorb loose liquid quickly... (at least as far as I could observe and its something I was looking at as well)... But at the end of the day Im not doing these tests under laboratory conditions... So I could be wrong usually am!!
delboy828 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delboy828 For This Useful Post:
A&J (17-05-2016), Rotiform (17-05-2016)
Old 17-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #28
MikeK
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J View Post
Delboy

First of all thanks for the review

Also I am interested how you look at higher GSM in a microfiber and if it really does make it better. EDIT (The way I see it. Microfiber fibers are good at holding water. So if the towel is very dense lets say 1000 GSM the fibers will hold a limited quantity of water and fibers will grow or densen before they interfere with each other. In other words they reach that maximum water absorbancy level quicker than those with lower GSM as the fibers can not expent more. So in order for them to hold more water the fibers should be less dense or more apart for them to soak up the maximum amount of water. Its also easyer to wring and dry microfibers with less GSM. Just my thoughts, correct me if Im wrong.)
I tend to agree with this. If you have a 1500gsm towel that's fibre can only hold 40% of their maximum capability due to the density of the weave and a 750gsm towel that's fibres can hold 80% of their maximum capacity, then the water soaked up would be effectively the same amount but when it came to wringing the towel then the 750gsm would be preferable due to being easier to wring.

The percentages I've come up with there are obviously just a complete guesstimate on my part but it would definitely be interesting to see exactly how much GSM is too much.

Personally I prefer the lower GSM towels as I find them easier to use. But as with most things everything is subjective to the person using the product.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
A&J (17-05-2016)
Old 17-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #29
A&J

Great answers from both of you
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
MikeK (17-05-2016)
Old 17-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #30