Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > DW TV > Polishing (TV)
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
delboy828
Sponge Jockey

Beginners guide to polishing with a DA / DAS6-pro / dual action polisher

A guide to machine polishing your car with a DA... Using a 1 stage compound/polish...

The aim of the video was

a) Making this simple to following for people starting out
b) Make this cost effective
c) time efficient
d) high end results

delboy828 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delboy828 For This Useful Post:
Alanalan (23-04-2016), AndyN01 (05-06-2016), efunc (30-05-2016), Floozy (24-04-2016), ICBM (23-04-2016), TonyH38 (20-08-2016)
Old 22-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,598 Times in 2,786 Posts
Garage
Sorry duel boy, but you said this is video for beginners, well you missed quiet a lot of important points that should have been mention so overall for a video for beginners it wasn't your best
Sorry I have not pointed them out, is because am just out of hospital,but am sure someone else will mention them.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
delboy828 (23-04-2016)
Old 23-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
delboy828
Sponge Jockey

no probs all critism is welcome.. ive done longer more indepth videos and got asked to do a short video that simplifies it for people starting out... when you simplify things you have to remove some detail... there are prolly a million things missing you could look to do.. but without knowing what you think is missing its hard to respond...
Old 23-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
Point taken, but when you are teaching someone as a beginner about machine polishing then things should not be missed out like

Priming the pad properly ( explain why )
Marking the backing plate with marker pen ( why )
Masking areas off ( explain why )
Why they need to change backing plate size& pad
You seem to go on about Scholl polish to much, you missed a point when finished you didn't do a wipe down to remove the oils ( why )
You pick a bonnet that looked ok, surely you should had a area which needed fixing and shown this before & after shot.
Also I would of used a panel that was from a breakers yard or a car that really needed sorted out.
Shown how they clean a pad with your brush or MF towel
Never mind if people say your vids are to long it's up to you how long but most of all ensuring you haven't missed anything that is important in any field of teaching
I hope you don't mind me bringing up these points, but that's how we all learn.
Chongo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
delboy828 (23-04-2016), ICBM (23-04-2016)
Old 23-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
delboy828
Sponge Jockey

hey chongo.. no I like the feedback honestly, and I read your list and your not wrong... but a lot of the things you list below were left out consciously.. let me respond...........

explained about the amounts used for primed and unprimed.. didnt want to go further for simplicity

I dont mark my backing plates.. its just a distraction.. I dont look at the plate to see how fast its rotating.. I dont want any viewers starting out to do this.. I discuss about machine rotation speed in the vid.

I am not asking the viewers to mask off any areas... Its not required to follow the method in this video with a DA.. will cause someone starting out more problems than it will solve. if you lay the compound out properly u will be fine

why they need to change backing plate size... prolly should have talked about this

I discussed there was no IPA wipedown.. that was deliberate.. I go on about scholl as its a VERY important factor to ease of success.. very important.

The bonnet looked ok.. It was "ok".. had micro swirls was a bit "dead" i guess... Not important. In my other vids Ive corrected paint in horrible condition...

I dont want a scrap panel kicking around in my house or garage.. Im a bit OCD like that.. The misses collects more than enough crap for the both of us

I didnt want to show how to clean or maintain pads in this video... Something for another vid. (its on the hit list ) Should have talked about the brush thing though

I got asked to make a much shorter simple video in 1 part that a starter up can follow so they could polish their car in a day with no experience (just about got it done in the upload u tube limit, had to remove a few bits I wanted in there as well)... So I came up with a rough format of what I was gonna do... fired up the camera and shot it.. No script etc.. most of it on the fly gorrilla film making Couple of guys new to it have had success following the video... Its not the "full picture" but its a good starting point.

honestly though I hear what you are saying and I want you to keep the feedback coming.. I need to hear it to improve
The Following User Says Thank You to delboy828 For This Useful Post:
chongo (23-04-2016)
Old 23-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
Thanks for response Delboy
But as for marking the backing plate, as we all know it is marker when the pad doesn't rotate meaning that the pad has hit a concave area and thus so not correcting the paint, or to much pressure applied, this is why they should be aware of high edges and panels edges next to the panel your working on ( this is when masking comes in). Anyway I do like the time you put in and your knowledge when making these videos. Delboy, keep them coming mate. Chongo
Old 23-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
ICBM
Washmitt Meister

Thanks both. Good information on all posts. Thanks for taking the time to make and post.
ICBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
steve_07
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Agreed great info. Can a green hexlogic be used to good effect on audi paint or is it better going for more of a cut?
steve_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #9
delboy828
Sponge Jockey

A green hex logic works great for this one stage polish on S20.. It will work on audi paint... This method will work on any paint... Id stay stick with the green pad.. You could go orange with harder in the same way you could go white with softer.. but stick with the green would be my advice..

The method would become less viable when you have to do heavy correction... As a general rule if you cant get the damage out or the correction done in one set this method becomes less efficient and less viable.

Regarding the black marker being needed to tell you the pad has bogged down or stopped spinning.... you dont need the black line to tell you that (course its not gonna hurt)... again the aim was simplicity versus going into detail... I could add another 100 things I didnt go into... (and I really could)
Old 23-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
Surely your next video will be on test spot ( finding out what pad and compound works for different paint ) as for green hex pad and s20 on any paint,well that's not good info to suggest to some one who has super soft paint! Which would make it a 2 stage or 3.