Detailing World Forum banner

My first time with a DA, Ford Focus, Pic heavy

8K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  muchoado 
#1 ·
Hi all, newbie here, been lurking for a while, pretty much a hobbyist/ weekender

been taking in a lot of information and watched a few tutorials but I thought the best way to learn was to practice.

and what better way to start than on a family members Black Ford Focus that they had just acquired.

Total time spent : 8.5 Hours (ran out of daylight)
No time to complete interior or engine bay, but I got the majority of the paintwork to an acceptable standard.

Products used were mainly AutoFinesse as they are a very local company and I have friends that work there.

Some ValetPro, Chemical Guys, and G Techniq bits all used swell.

Before shots:
P1030005 by turbomint, on Flickr

P1030006 by turbomint, on Flickr

Started with wheels:

P1030008 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030010 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030013 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030015 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030016 by turbomint, on Flickr

Tackled hard to reach areas with G101 and a brush:
P1030019 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030021 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030037 by turbomint, on Flickr

Car Rinsed off with a light mist of AF Citrus Power, then ValetPro Foam:
P1030022 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030024 by turbomint, on Flickr

Guess this means it was working?!
P1030027 by turbomint, on Flickr

Then washed using 2 bucket method and Lather Shampoo from AF:
P1030030 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030033 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030034 by turbomint, on Flickr

Rinsed off and started with the clay! (AF):
P1030038 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030039 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030040 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030041 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030043 by turbomint, on Flickr

Then Washed again and dried with AF Towel:
P1030044 by turbomint, on Flickr

so, the damage....:

P1030048 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030053 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030054 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030057 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030065 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030076 by turbomint, on Flickr

this is the polisher I had purchased of a good friend, Rupes Bigfoot, felt east to use and not loads of vibrations, Pads sourced from Slims and Chemical Guys VSS Swirl and Scratch Remover used on all the panels, one pass and each panel separated into 2 or 3 sections.

P1030080 by turbomint, on Flickr

P1030082 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030087 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030089 by turbomint, on Flickr

Infinity Wax Glaze was applied by machine (speed 3) after, then I ran out of time, just had time to grab some after shots:
P1030091 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030093 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030094 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030095 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030098 by turbomint, on Flickr
P1030100 by turbomint, on Flickr

comments and constructive critisism very welcome, I'm very much still learning and could do with tips and hints from more experienced members.

thanks for reading

See less See more
#16 ·
Looks lovely, a real difference!

How did you find VSS
thanks very much, i found VSS very easy to apply and remove so i would defiantly use it again, there were still some RDS marks that required some deeper cutting but as this was my first time i was happy with what i achieved.:thumb:

Looks good to me. I have always shyed away from foaming or jetwashing with the petrol flap open, guess it did not cause you any issues.

Nice polisher bought the MK2 myself recently. What pads did you use, make, colour etc?

I have a black Focus and can highly recommend Wax Planet's Polygloss, it really makes her shine. [emoji16]
yeah i was quite careful when washing the open filler, just a quick flash past with the gin both times.

i used an orange HexLogic pad for the VSS application and a Farecla finishing pad, i work in the bodyshop trade so i do have access to certain materials for free, which is a bonus!

Thanks i will have a look into Wax Planet Poly Gloss
That looks a really nice job, thank you for sharing it. Nice to see a full set of photos showing a transformation like that. The products seemed to work well as did your machine work. :thumb:
Thanks much appreciated :thumb:

Looks excellent and a very helpful post!

I am planning to do exactly this - when I unwrap my DA and other goodies at Christmas. I have 2 weeks off after Christmas day so will be giving the once over to my wife's CMax.

Looks like you did a thorough job - hope your family member recognises your efforts!

On the petrol cap open issue - I have seen Matt from OG doing this. I don't use the PW with it open I just give it a going over once in a while with a detailing brush and then a light rinse.

Did you try this out, to avoid making any mistakes on your lovely 135i? :)

N
good, it will be good to see the differences in the Mk2 and how you get to use it!

My sister was over the moon with it, she even commented that the rain water "almost sits on top of the paint":lol: which was good to hear because she lives quite a way away from me so i didnt get to see it after the rain.

yes the idea was to start on my sisters focus and build up the confidence to polish the M135 which i did the next weekend, used a light Menzerna compound and sealed with Fusso on the machine!
m135 polished

Fantastic job, should be very proud considering it's your first attempt.
thanks alot appreciate it:thumb:

From a fellow focus owner, you've made a lovely jubbly job of your car matey.
thank you, this is my sisters car she just bought it, what colour is yours?

Well done on your first attempt mate looks very nice certainly see the difference in the gloss levels from the pictures at the start :thumb:
yes one thing i was very impressed with was the infinity wax gloss, nice deep shine it brought out:D

#3 ·
Looks good to me. I have always shyed away from foaming or jetwashing with the petrol flap open, guess it did not cause you any issues.

Nice polisher bought the MK2 myself recently. What pads did you use, make, colour etc?

I have a black Focus and can highly recommend Wax Planet's Polygloss, it really makes her shine. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Looks excellent and a very helpful post!

I am planning to do exactly this - when I unwrap my DA and other goodies at Christmas. I have 2 weeks off after Christmas day so will be giving the once over to my wife's CMax.

Looks like you did a thorough job - hope your family member recognises your efforts!

On the petrol cap open issue - I have seen Matt from OG doing this. I don't use the PW with it open I just give it a going over once in a while with a detailing brush and then a light rinse.

Did you try this out, to avoid making any mistakes on your lovely 135i? :)

N

#18 ·
Great work especially for a first go. I wouldn't know what to have some myself if it hadn't been for this forum. Makes the whole process so much easier when you have the right information available. You did a great job. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.