Detailing World Forum banner

Mercedes W124 220CE

133K views 273 replies 36 participants last post by  tommyboy40 
#1 ·
I just bought this. No mot, history, anything. Could be a total shed but anyhow.
Faults so far;
Shudder when you put it in drive with your foot on the brake- Hopefully a proper transmission service will sort this.
Alarm fob doesn't work, central locking only works from passenger door
Heating stuck on - cleaning the heater valves should sort this
Phantom power drain - could be anything
Rust patch under tail light
filthy beyond belief!
the main thing with this car is to do everything myself, it's a no budget car. Thanks in advance to Trevor at Tidy Mechanical Services for the use of his Lifts! Haven't picked it up yet, these photos are from the ad
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Car

Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Gear shift

Car Vehicle Car seat cover Motor vehicle Seat belt

See less See more
#32 ·
Thanks Ted. The exhaust section needs some fettling to fit, being larger bore. I took a gamble but reckon that the twin pipes of the new one will look better. I'll cut and weld this one so I can leave the genuine center section alone
Composite material Gas Rim Metal Auto part

The steering damper has helped but only a full suspension rebuild will fix it. It's a lot oily and a bit rusty but I should have a rotary next week and we'll see what I can do to the paint.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

The rear windows made a horrible scraping sound and I discovered that the lower seal was full of hardened crud. More aerospace 303 apc and a brush

Window Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades

Automotive tail & brake light Window Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

This is some of the crud that came away. You can see the swirls and RDS in the paint

Window Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror

#39 ·
Funny you should say that, it's a real pleasure on the road, it's like driving an armchair. With the SL you're always looking for potholes and being respectful of the horses but with this I can just cruise. The suspension is a bit wooly and its missing it's bonnet insulation and splashgard so it's a bit noisy.

#40 ·

Yey! I feel like I have a Partner in Crime at long last,in an over the water type way! :wave:

I'm thinking your interior is a LOT cleaner than mine.
Mine's a Sportline and should have sports check.PO removed and put this 320 CE interior in.Looks like it was up in the racking for yeeeeaaaaars.
What did you use to clean the leather?Einszett as well??

Steve:thumb:

#42 ·
I de tarred the lower section of the car. I started claying and removed this much muck in a 6" square, think I need to de iron and de tar the lot.

Kitchen utensil Gesture Tableware Electric blue Cutlery

Just to give an idea of what's ahead here's a couple of shots of the paint. I think I can be as aggressive as I like as it's obvious that it will need a complete paint job.
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Window Hood

#44 · (Edited)
So it cooled down here enough today to do some work. First off seats out and you can see the state of it. I love the wiring done by some gimp, this all needs removing and made oem again. Couple of close ups of the job to do

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk

Wood Road surface Asphalt Grey Automotive tire

Yes that is copper pipe insulation you see in this picture, this offends my soul more than you could imagine

Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Automotive tire

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Automotive tire

Automotive exterior Gas Wood Fluid Composite material

#51 · (Edited)
finally took all the carpet out, lots of carpet cleaner and apc later we end up with something slightly better as the before and after shot here

Rectangle Grass Wood Groundcover Funeral

Main carpet is slowly coming along. You can see that the left's been cleaned twice and the right only once

Product Hood Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper

Knee panels look better too

Shoe Textile Grey Outdoor shoe Road surface

Started on the seats with hand wash flakes and some brushes

Product Automotive design Plant Car seat cover Auto part

#54 ·
it's a bit trickier in the rain but did some more carpet cleaning today. apologies for crappy dark phone photos. i could do with more indoor space I reckon.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Seat belt Car Automotive design

Front carpets are starting to look right

Photograph Light Luggage and bags Yellow Motor vehicle

Tub carpet needs another 2 washes or so to make it right. I'm also trying to get rid of the smell of wet dog, don't know why it smells like this, there was no dog hair in the car.

Wood Gas Font Rectangle Screw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.