Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 14-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Andy1972
Washmitt Meister

Finally lost the plot

At what point did you other half, boyfriend, girlfriend, mates, family, etc finally say you've lost the plot when it comes to car cleaning.

Did you agree with them.

Mine was last night by self admittance. - Being interested in the post by the chap who'd bought one of the detailing outlaw caddies. I then realised I was getting excited looking at pictures of a bucket attachment.....
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Andy1972 For This Useful Post:
bigbruiser (19-09-2018), bluechimp (15-09-2018), CharliesTTS (14-09-2018), Fairtony (14-09-2018), Fentum (14-09-2018), jolls (18-09-2018), MSwiss (17-09-2018), stealthwolf (14-09-2018), todds (17-09-2018)
Old 14-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,519 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1972 View Post
At what point did you other half, boyfriend, girlfriend, mates, family, etc finally say you've lost the plot when it comes to car cleaning.

Did you agree with them.

Mine was last night by self admittance. - Being interested in the post by the chap who'd bought one of the detailing outlaw caddies. I then realised I was getting excited looking at pictures of a bucket attachment.....
I know you are posting humorously but, no, you haven't noticeably lost the plot. It is natural that you examine such aspects carefully. I really don't see why detailing should get less respect than other pastimes.

I quite often point out to friends, who take the mick out of me for similar in-depth interest in certain things, that I don't judge them for getting a boner over the latest forging technique for creating a golf putter or whatever it is they are bollocking on about in the pub.

Try sitting next to a hi-fi enthusiast talking about the differences between the various Denon 103 cartridges or when they get evangelical about different vinyl pressings. (BTW, I'm guilty as charged on that one.)

Better still, go to a classic car forum and see how the "beards" go on about fitting the correct Moss gearbox with the right cadmium plated UNF doodah on the side rather than the (obvious to anybody with eyes) later nickel plated replacement.

You have it very mild...

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-09-2018), stealthwolf (14-09-2018)
Old 14-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
ENEP
Washmitt Meister

Wifey understands but friends thinks I lost it a long time ago
Quickly changes when they find out that my hobby brings in cash.
ENEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
stealthwolf

Meh. I used to live with my parents. Getting up at 6am for weekly washes was considered OTT.

Now I live it with the missus and I just about get to wash the car every few months. Mainly because there's too many other jobs to get done around the house.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
wish wash

I remember one time I was applying a coating to the car with the supplied cotton pads. People walking past thought I was cleaning the car with make up pads. Having a hobby is better than not having one
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
k4ith
PC Perfectionist

Garage
People take the mick but I have started to notice that they have began to pick up things from me, started with drying towels now two of them have foam lances
k4ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
MSwiss
Washmitt Meister

My good lady and her mom especially think I have lost the plot " 8 hours cleaning a car! that's ridiculous"

To which I just say " 8 hours shopping that's ridiculous"

Each to their own, my old man likes course fishing and will do it for a week he also like golf, who knew that was such a fun game

I have a few hobbies and I like to research them and do it to my best ability, if someone thinks I am sad I don't really care as long as I enjoy it.

Detailing for me is one of the most therapeutic along with fly fishing, with a stressful job/busy life when I do get to do it I really enjoy it. Stick some good music on and got lost in detailing, happiness is lol.
MSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSwiss For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (18-09-2018)
Old 17-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 11,763 Times in 6,571 Posts
I think my massive 50+ hours on my old RS6 made a few people question my sanity...

they were already worried about me when I removed the leather seats from the old Jeep and repainted them and the wheels, then covered the old £500 beast in Zymol Royale and Vintage...

thankfully, I haven't really washed any cars in a few years now, so I'm all better...

Old 17-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
Stoner
PC Perfectionist

Totally agree with the other posters - detailing is not only improving the appearance of your cars/bike/cycles/shower/flower pots or whatever, its a great hobby. Its also very therapeutic and burns a lot of calories.

When my missus described me as insane after spending 3 hours applying sealant by hand, I showed her the calories burnt and she forgave everything hoping I would be developing a six-pack etc. I failed to mention the 3 cans of Stella that accompanied me during that piece of work

I look at my affliction simply - I enjoy getting my cars looking the best I can. If you don't, then don't, but leave me alone
Stoner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoner For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (17-09-2018)
Old 18-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Stormchaser
Unwashed Member

Garage
My Mrs can’t understand that I include my hobby with car detailing. Like polishing and sealing these also.

I bet she’ll book me in “somewhere “ soon haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stormchaser For This Useful Post:
Fentum (18-09-2018), q5man (18-09-2018), Soul boy 68 (18-09-2018)