Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by

Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
RDB85
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

55” TV and Home Cinema System

I am thinking of getting a new TV, I like the look of the OLED TVs but they are a little out of my price range. QLED from Samsung look nice but again I think they are overpriced, and I’ve seen you can get a Model from last year that is similar.

So with those two out of the way can anyone recommend a nice TV that has some of the features of OLED but without the price.

Also I am thinking of getting an AVR and some Bookshelf Speakers, plus a Sub. I like the look of the Q Acoustic but I’ve seen the Home Cinema but the room is not large enough to benefit from 7.1 or 5.1 surround. But any suggestions would be great as I’m new to all that.
RDB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
dholdi

How big is your room to make you think its not big enough for surround ?
We have a 55" Sony Bravia 1080 and Onkyo 5.1 Amp.
I wouldn't be without it and our room is only 4m square.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
RDB85

It’s an attic so it’s about 22ft by 8ft
Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
DrEskimo

What’s the budget for the TV buddy, and what exactly are you looking for from OLED?

I found AV forums a great source of info, but here are some things I picked up when I was researching buying my new Tv a few months back:

Most TVs at the cheaper end of the market will be LED-LCD panels with a backlit display. Whilst they can produce a very bright picture (good for HDR content), they suffer from blooming, murky black levels and poorer contrast levels.

Since each pixel in an OLED TV is indivuslly lit, you get really great deep blacks and antastic contrast. It won’t be as bright as something like the QLED from Samsung, which is probably the best LED-LCD Tv you can get (although I agree, still too overpriced. The KS series from last generation was a great buy towards the end of its cycle, but they are hard to find now).

You could look at some top end Sony’s or Panasonic’s that have Full Array LED backlighting, but this tech is expensive too, so prices aren’t that dissimilar to the current B7 or C7 OLED TVs from LG.

Think it’s also important to think about what content you will watch on it. Do you watch a lot of 4K, what about SD and HD content? Gaming important? Do you want good image processing for sports? What about smart TV functionality?

Ultimately, like most things in life, budget will probably dictate what you get the most...!
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
RDB85 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
RDB85

Budget is £500 - £800. I plan on using it for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I have a PS4 Pro. But I have also got a Virgin V Plus Box

Last edited by RDB85; 06-01-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
dholdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB85 View Post
It’s an attic so it’s about 22ft by 8ft
So @ 7m by 2.5m, TV will be on the 2.5m wide wall I guess, that's plenty of room for surround sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB85 View Post
Budget is £500 - £800.
That will get you a budget 4k TV, you will need to look at around the same again for budget amp and speakers.

Don't discount the idea though, you can do things 1 at a time and build up a system that you will be happy with.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:
RDB85 (06-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
insanejim69

Garage
I picked up a Samsung series 6 55" 4k HDR curved tv last month for under £500, and going by the online reviews it was meant to be brilliant, which it is thankfully. I am very impressed with the start up speed, it's literally press the power button and it instantly comes on. Picture clarity is great and the colours are superb in hd and 4k, can't say much for sd picture as everything I watch is either hd or 4k anyways. It was reduced from £800 as it was an early 2017 model, so cheap doesn't mean a budget tv

We also have a Hisense 4k tv in the bedroom (46" that cost £280 or so) and although its hd picture is great the 4k picture is shamefully bad Imo.

James.
insanejim69 is offline   Reply With Quote