Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
andyfish
Washmitt Meister

PWs: A total mystery!

Granted, I have only read, re-read, and read again. and then started to read the whole lot again! And it's still a mystery!

I need a new PW. I have the very first Karcher K411 and it has served me well for many years. In fact, it has outlived me: my back is knackered and I'm past lifting the thing repeatedly to get all around the car. My first instinct is simply to replace the hose with one that is long enough - however, years ago I accidentally cross-threaded the hose to PW connection. The Karcher still does sterling work, but it's time to replace it.

It seems to me that there is either the Nelfisk40 or 50, or the Kranzel equivalent. Basically, it has to be on wheels, allow upgrades of the hose and lance, and of course the snow foam thingy goes without question. The hose has to be long enough to go all around the car (a Focus) without having to move the PW.

I'd be grateful for advice. Many thanks,
Andrew.
andyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

With suitable connections and a decent hose from Qwashers. Your pressure washer wouldn’t have to move at all bud. In my current situation my pressure washer stays within 12’ of water and electric connections. The adapted hose and lance goes the other 60’
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
bigbruiser
Orbital Oracle

budget?
bigbruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
Mcpx
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Just for info, a 10 meter hose will get you comfortably from one front wheel around the back of the car to the other front wheel. I tend to put the pw at one end of the car and work down each side separately but when it comes up for replacement, I’ll definitely choose a longer hose of at least 15 meters, preferably 20.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

I've got a nilfisk that is a solid unit, its the E140.3-9 X-Tra....its outlasted any other PW I've had, infact once I had to go out after cleaning my car but left the unit on with no water supply attached and for whatever reason, I came back to a garage full of smoke and the unit running, still runs like a dream with no leaks

you can get a good array off additional attachments for it although I focused on getting the 90 degree attachment for arches and a wide angled fan nozzle to cover more area.
I got it from screwfix a good few years back but I've just took a quick look to see if the price was the same (£200) but I cant even see the e140 on their site anymore!

Only problem I have with the machine....well, hose... its the awful plastic material that loves to curl itself back up when your not looking and get knotted....so do as others have suggested and get a longer rubber hose from qwashers on ebay
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
voon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
A good PW is heavy. My Kränzle 2160 is 40 KG. Why? Because the engine is solid and a powerful low RPM (way less annoying noise) runner and mostly, because the pumphead (the actual compression chambers on top of the engine etc) is all brass. That's one of the telltale signs of a quality PW. All Kränzle are that way, actual top end Kärchers still might (or use the cheaper Aluminium pump heads). Kärcher of old was a homemade, local solid brand. Kärcher now is cheap China mass production, with the cheap plastic pumpheads on all lower to midrange models, that are imho rubbish.

And that's why my Kränzle has a 15m Hose with a turnable drum.

Last edited by voon; 05-01-2018 at 08:02 AM.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
andyfish
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moet1974 View Post
With suitable connections and a decent hose from Qwashers. Your pressure washer wouldn’t have to move at all bud. In my current situation my pressure washer stays within 12’ of water and electric connections. The adapted hose and lance goes the other 60’
Thanks - that sounds ideal: it's clear that the current set is not fit for purpose. Could i ask what you have and if I could afford it with £400 budget (can stretch to £500 if necessary).
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
andyfish
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbruiser View Post
budget?
£400.

but could stretch to £500 if absolutely necessary
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
andyfish
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
Just for info, a 10 meter hose will get you comfortably from one front wheel around the back of the car to the other front wheel. I tend to put the pw at one end of the car and work down each side separately but when it comes up for replacement, I’ll definitely choose a longer hose of at least 15 meters, preferably 20.
That's really helpful - thank you.

Did the hose come with the unit or was it an upgrade?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
andyfish
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkinson91 View Post
I've got a nilfisk that is a solid unit, its the E140.3-9 X-Tra....its outlasted any other PW I've had, infact once I had to go out after cleaning my car but left the unit on with no water supply attached and for whatever reason, I came back to a garage full of smoke and the unit running, still runs like a dream with no leaks

you can get a good array off additional attachments for it although I focused on getting the 90 degree attachment for arches and a wide angled fan nozzle to cover more area.
I got it from screwfix a good few years back but I've just took a quick look to see if the price was the same (£200) but I cant even see the e140 on their site anymore!

Only problem I have with the machine....well, hose... its the awful plastic material that loves to curl itself back up when your not looking and get knotted....so do as others have suggested and get a longer rubber hose from qwashers on ebay
Thank you. The 140 certainly looks the business but the latest editions seem to have connectors that prevent hose upgrades...
Any way around it?