Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 18-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Rab W19
Sponge Jockey

Garage
2002 zx6r 636 a1p

Long-time lurker, first time poster.
This project is a story so far and it will be me trying my best to get my 15yr old ninja back to better than show room standard with a few discreet improvements on the way. Most of which will be done over the following winters.
So I will start the story from the beginning. (Copied mostly from another forum)
After having my license almost 2yr I have since been desperately trying to convince my wife to let me get a motorbike of my own (a ninja obviously) & on the night of my 30th birthday party (Sept 2016) she surprised me with this....

2002 A1P ZX6-R 636
At 15year old she had just ticked over 31k miles, with a lot of documented history. Almost like she went into my head and picked my perfect bike.
SPEC AT THE TIME:
* Micron carbon fibre exhaust (loud!)
* Pyramid rear hugger
* Gilles titanium rear sets
* Goodridge braided line to the rear
* Double bubble screen
Some pictures from the morning after the party:

Some pics from my travels. These were Sept/Oct time.

(When your girl has a drinking problem but you love her anyway) NEVER RIDE PAST A FUEL STOP AS THERE AINT MANY WITHIN MOTORBIKE TANK RANGE UP THIS WAY

LET THE MODIFICATIONS BEGIN!!!!
This winter however the list of jobs was minor: new paddock bobbins from Oxford have been fitted which makes getting the rear wheel off the ground far easier.
Oil change with upgraded K&N oil filter, HEL lines all round, brake fluid flush with new DOT 4 & change to clear indicators rather than the bright orange. So Santa arrived with some motorbike related gifts.
One of which was an Optimate 3 battery trickle charger. No pictures of this but for those of us who have to tuck the bikes up for the winter it is an awesome bit of kit, comes with the quick connector so just fit it to the terminals and the plug sits under the pillion seat for easy charging.
The pyramid hugger has since been removed and awaiting my new chain guard, bolts, sump plug & gasket to be delivered to my local Kawasaki dealer.
Spot the difference Clear vs Orange

R&G Bar ends

ordered an OEM replacement front brake line kit from HEL (carbon effect, chrome banjo's) however they contacted me saying they had problems with the OEM kitting fitting properly and asked if I could send my stock lines down to be used to develop an updated kit for the future. So the lines were sent to HEL and the new ones arrived for the weekend for me to fit (pics to follow)
So anyone ordering an OEM replacement lines for J1-A1P models from HEL in the future your welcome

I also removed the tank pad & stickers the previous owner fitted. Looks so much cleaner now.

With the stickers removed the paint work was looking a bit sorry for itself and being a bright colour there was a noticeable difference in shade from where the stickers had been. So a mate came round and gave the bike a good machine polish to remove the colour difference, some small scratches and paint swirls. Then 2 coats of Meguirs NXT gen wax.
The pictures don't do it just as it’s in a dull garage and it was raining outside so didn't want to take it out, however I promise to upload some when the weather clears hopefully again a beautiful backdrop of Scottish landscape but for now.

Delivery from HEL performance, first class product and service

Had a nightmare pulling off the left hand fairing as the previous owner had rounded one of the screws, so that required drilling the head off before I could begin and then once it was off the back of it and the engine was covered in dirt and grime so that had to be cleaned before I could even start the fun stuff.
New HEL carbon brake lines front and rear fitted and new Castrol React brake fluid flushed through. Best thing I've done the feel through the lever and pedal is exceptional. The old fluid that came out, especially the rear was horrible and full of air so braking performance is massively superior to before.
Also fitted my new chain guard from Kawasaki. New K&N oil filter fitted and a fresh sump full of Castrol Power Race, stuff that came out wasn't great and even just revving in the garage the bike sounds smoother/sweeter and freer revving.

DISASTER!!!!
Had an accident on my Ninja one morning, which resulted in a low speed high side.
Full story:
Pulled the bike out the garage and let it warm up and as I was closing the door I noticed a patch of oil on my back tyre which I obvious rolled the bike over (defo wasn’t from the bike). Wiped the tyre and thought that will be ok as long as I take it easy it will scrub off.
rolled the bike out the drive to the T junction to turn left pulled out gently and lit up the back wheel then that obviously scrubbed off the oil, heated up the tyre and it bit in and spat me off the other side.
All at walking speed!
Luckily I walked away with only a sore shoulder, this is why I always wear my gear& it is barely marked which again is lucky.
At the end of the day it was my own fault. I may not have been riding like a dick (have a witness who agrees) but I made the decision seeing the oil that I would be ok and if we go further back it was probably me that spilled the oil and didn’t notice/clean it up properly. So nobody else to blame and I will take this expensive lesson and remember this for the future.
So the bike.....

The missus was mad but glad I was OK; she was as gutted about it as me because the bike holds sentimental value to both of us. So went over to begin assessing the damage.
Parts list so far.
(Going down the break and up rate route) body shop: been in contact with the fairing repair company, because I had the frame of mind to pick up all the small shards of plastics so I have no missing pieces it should all be repairable and redone in factory colours and graphics.
* Dent Removal on tank (might be able to do this myself I am borrowing a dent removal tool)
* R/S fairing
* Nose Cone
* Ram Air Duct
Fixings:
* Crash Bungs
* Fairing bolt kit (thinking going down the pro bolt route)
Bars:
* R/S clip on (maybe, don't know if it’s just moved or bent, R&G bar end might have saved it)
* Brake lever (wanted an upgraded set anyway was thinking shorty’s but I think I'll stick with standard length)
* Bar ends (R&G bar ends done their job, if I can get the plastic inserts that would be ideal but I might be able to get the machinist in the work to make me new ones on the lathe)
* R/S mirror
* Clock/fairing bracket (going to try and straighten this out)
Exhaust:
* I'm hoping I can strip this apart and re-skin the carbon and machine the end or have a new one machined and I'll flip the bracket so the scuffs are on the inside.

So work began on stripping & inspecting the bike.
Dropped off the fairings at the body shop, still awaiting a full quote for the work and a rough timeline however I'm in no real rush.
* R/S fairing
* Nose Cone
* Ram Air intake
* Headlight (having a lug welding back on)
I've also now sorted a full parts list:
* New Crash Bungs
* Bolt Kit
* Short Levers
* R/S Ram Air fairing trim
* Mirrors (going for a brand new replica pair so they look the same rather than an old and new)

New parts started arriving.
New nose cone bracket. Old one was really badly bent and the shape was too complex to reform it, so ordered a brand new replica at a cost of £28 guaranteed OEM fit.
If anyone with a J model wants to ditch the birdcage it's definitely worth considering.
Also my new shorty’s arrived.
£45 eBay specials and tbh I'm impressed with the quality, especially for the price.
Here they are compared to the stock items.

Shorty’s on with the aid of my garage assistant.

Dents on the tank pulled.
From 2 dents to one tiny one, not perfect but not bad at all. Chipped the lacquer and a bit of the decal but nothing a touch up pen didn’t solve.

Front indicators are now sorted, some of the finest 2500grit wet and dry. Polished out the marks on them. Some bumper restorer and they look like new.

While I have been waiting on the fairings I haven't been sitting with a thumb up my ****. While the bike is naked I have been cleaning/detailing every inch I can get at. Still some way to go but hence why I joined this forum properly rather than just stalking.
Could probably eat your dinner off it, not bad for a 15yr old bike.

My brother is worked wonders on my dash trim that was scratched in the crash.
Rubbed down and in primer.

Trim pieces have had their final coat of clear. Well pleased with the results.
2x primer, 2x gloss black & 2x clear.
I've to give them a week before I polish them and put on a couple layers of wax.

Carbon fibre heel plates from my Gilles rear sets were rubbed down (weren’t damaged just thought while he was doing other bits) and gave a blast of clear, still another to go but so far they look good.

And that’s up to date so far….
Hopefully more updates soon before I lose more of the good weather, don’t get much in Scotland for the bike to be hiding in the garage.
Be early to mid-June before the fairing are back from the paint shop. Ordered 2003 ZX6RR mirrors, they bolt straight on and the mirror itself is the same but the stem is a lot less fussy, folds fully in and doesn’t have a rubber gaiter that perishes. New black stainless steel fixing kit has also been ordered since I had to drill several off to remove the fairings as well as a new pair of crash mushrooms.

Last edited by Rab W19; 17-07-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Rab W19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rab W19 For This Useful Post:
chris.t (20-07-2017), DouglasH (25-05-2017), horico (19-05-2017), Jue (24-05-2017)
Old 18-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Overdoser
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Awesome bike, in the fastest colour aswell
Overdoser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdoser For This Useful Post:
Paul7189 (25-05-2017)
Old 18-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Gixxer6
Orbital Oracle

Nice bike! I know the feeling when a bike is dropped, surprise, extreme sadness, anger, acceptance, anger at cost of repair, acceptance

I'd wait a bit longer before waxing any parts that have been painted, the general recommendations are a month, to ensure all solvents have evaporated.
Gixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Lovely bike matey! I had the slightly earlier version, the 600cc J1 model I believe 2000 reg. Absolutely beautifully set up bikes and mine was red which I always maintained was better because it was rarer but secretly everyone always wants a green one

Hope it gives you many miles of fun
Smanderson117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Rab W19
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoser View Post
Awesome bike, in the fastest colour aswell
I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer6 View Post
Nice bike! I know the feeling when a bike is dropped, surprise, extreme sadness, anger, acceptance, anger at cost of repair, acceptance

I'd wait a bit longer before waxing any parts that have been painted, the general recommendations are a month, to ensure all solvents have evaporated.
yeah that was roughly the grieving process
Silver lining I'm getting to upgrade a few parts that was on the to do list but now at an accelerated rate.

Thanks mate, one of the many reasons I signed up and I've seen some awesome resto's so need all the advice I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanderson117 View Post
Lovely bike matey! I had the slightly earlier version, the 600cc J1 model I believe 2000 reg. Absolutely beautifully set up bikes and mine was red which I always maintained was better because it was rarer but secretly everyone always wants a green one

Hope it gives you many miles of fun
Cheers bud, hope it does as well when I finally get it back on the road.

lime green on a ninja is like rosso corsa on a Ferrari, it just has to be
The Following User Says Thank You to Rab W19 For This Useful Post:
Smanderson117 (18-05-2017)
Old 18-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
alfa.rbt
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Nice bike, shame about an accident but this things happen. I used to have b1h which was an absolute harsh animal but i loved it! Now I've got z1000. Ride safe!

alfa.rbt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
Rab W19
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa.rbt View Post
Nice bike, shame about an accident but this things happen. I used to have b1h which was an absolute harsh animal but i loved it! Now I've got z1000. Ride safe!

Yeah kawasaki went really track focused on the 03 model, amazing bit of kit.

Thats a nice zed mate, bet that shifts!
Old 19-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Nice kwak. Shame about the spill but hopefully it'll be good as new when you're done! Had one in the ACTUAL fastest colour as a first bike. Would have another any day.

Had a very similar spill on my zx7 too so feel your pain...

horico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Rab W19
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Nice bikes there guys.

So wee update:

Crash mushrooms arrived

Carbon heel plates are done after the 2nd coat of clear.
Carbon weave is obviously worn but i think they came up great, a quick polish and couple coats of wax and they will look spot on.

2003 ZX6RR mirrors are here.
Vast improvement on the old 2002 mirrors on the left.

Job for the weekend is to clean up the exhaust and give the bike a good going over.

Update from the bodyshop is mid june, has been so busy the guy hasn't been able to start them. So I'm further away than I would have wanted.

Last edited by Rab W19; 17-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rab W19 For This Useful Post:
Jue (24-05-2017)
Old 24-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
Jue
PC Perfectionist

Nice bike, even nicer wife What a birthday present
Shame about the off but at least your ok & looks like the bike is coming back together nicely. Keep the updates coming.
Jue is offline   Reply With Quote