Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 13-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Shorthand
Sponge Jockey

i'm confused

Hi guys hope you can help.

Code:
 Chemical Guys V32 is the heavy cutting compound, ideal for removing the most severe of swirls and scratches, leaving the paintwork ready for a final polish. (1200-1500 grit)

- Chemical Guys V34 is the cutting compound, ideal for removing heavy swirls and scratches, leaving the paintwork ready for a final polish. (1500-2000 grit)

- Chemical Guys V36 is the cutting polish, ideal for moderate swirls and scratches. (2500-3500 grit)

- Chemical Guys V38 is the finishing polish, ideal for removing light swirls, scratches, buffer trails and holograms. (3500-4500 grit)
I'm looking threw the above, V34 is a cutting compound for heavy swirls & V36 is a cutting polish but it's for heavy swirls also, what's the difference?

V36 is a cutting polish for moderate swirls and V38 is a finishing, i understand finishing is last but why V36 when V38 is the same?

Hope that makes sence haha.

Thank you
Shorthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
Sam6er
PC Perfectionist

V36 and V38 are different (Cutting polish vs finishing polish), i think you meant V36 and V34. usually when you see the word compound compared to the word polish, a compound would be harsher than the polish. Id imagine it would be something like this:

V38 - finish
V36 - Light cut
V34 - heavy cut
V32 - Compound
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam6er For This Useful Post:
Shorthand (13-07-2017)
Old 13-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Shorthand
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
V36 and V38 are different (Cutting polish vs finishing polish), i think you meant V36 and V34. usually when you see the word compound compared to the word polish, a compound would be harsher than the polish. Id imagine it would be something like this:

V38 - finish
V36 - Light cut
V34 - heavy cut
V32 - Compound
Thank you for the repy.

what's the difference with a cut and a compound? (stupid question)

so if the light cut dont work move onto heavy cut but when do i use the compound etc?
Old 13-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
Sam6er
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthand View Post
Thank you for the repy.

what's the difference with a cut and a compound? (stupid question)

so if the light cut dont work move onto heavy cut but when do i use the compound etc?
The main principle of paint correction is start with the least agressive method and work your way up. So i would try light cut first, if it doesnt work then use heavy cut, if that doesnt work then use compound. Dont forget to factor in the cut of the pad your using has aswell as that can also make a huge difference Its always trial and error until you have worked on the car or a similar car and know how hard/soft the paint is and what would work with it.

Cut and compound are just terms used. Both will remove a layer of clearcoat/paint, but its how much each will remove. The more aggressive the polish/compound the more paint thats removed, thats why its always best to start low and work your way up.

Last edited by Sam6er; 13-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam6er For This Useful Post:
Shorthand (14-07-2017)
Old 14-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Shorthand
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
The main principle of paint correction is start with the least agressive method and work your way up. So i would try light cut first, if it doesnt work then use heavy cut, if that doesnt work then use compound. Dont forget to factor in the cut of the pad your using has aswell as that can also make a huge difference Its always trial and error until you have worked on the car or a similar car and know how hard/soft the paint is and what would work with it.

Cut and compound are just terms used. Both will remove a layer of clearcoat/paint, but its how much each will remove. The more aggressive the polish/compound the more paint thats removed, thats why its always best to start low and work your way up.
thank you,

what stages would you do for a 3 stage using above products
Old 14-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,564 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthand View Post
thank you,

what stages would you do for a 3 stage using above products
First I would drop the idea that you MUST do a 3 stage correction, if you try v36 and that works you would then finish with v38
Old 14-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
Shorthand
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossiecol View Post
First I would drop the idea that you MUST do a 3 stage correction, if you try v36 and that works you would then finish with v38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossiecol View Post
aaahhhhhhhh!!!!

if V36 don't work try V34, that don't work V32 , then v38 finish?

Like Sam6er was saying start lowest working up the chain?
Old 14-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
dchapman88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Yeah drop 3 stages
I'd say start v36 and if no joy v34
V32 is really meant for quite extreme bad or weathered paint
If your not getting results look at technique and working time of the polish
V38 to finish is a nice finishing polish and works forever and a day so you can really get a good result from that

Sent by a phone of some description!
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
Frog
Washmitt Meister

Just to add also I have found that the Chem guys V range seems to work better with their pads, I don't know why but when I tried it on the Rupes pads it didn't seem to work as well, it dried out really quickly and dusted up.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote