Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Norbreck21a
Washmitt Meister

Steering wheel cleaning

HI all, my MK7 GTD is coming up to 2 years old and I try and keep it in great condition, however on cleaning it at the weekend, I noticed that after only less than 20k miles, my leather steering wheel is quite shiney.

I do tend to wear aftershave most days, so was wondering if it's the aftershave and oils residue in my hands that's coated it ? Are they any products of techniques anyone can recommended to bring it back to it's as new Matt condition please ?

I've also noticed a few marks on one spot and some "folding" of the leather which I've no idea how it's happened as I don't wear rings on anything on that hand, and the car is keyless (so keys are always in my pocket). Is this repairable / able to be made to look better or is it a repair job (looks like something scraped it) ?

Norbreck21a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
BrummyPete
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I use dodo leather cleaner on my wheel and it brings it up well, I use anti bacterial gel a lot at work so do find like you the wheel goes shiny very quickly , with regards to the nicks my nails catch my wheel on occasions so may be that in your case

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BrummyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Mcpx

Looks like something’s scratched it, maybe a bag or even a zip on a coat as you were getting in and out? For cleaning any reputable leather cleaner should take it back to a fresh matt finish.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
TOGWT

Location: Split between Hampstead, London and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Most manufacturer’s advice against using oil-based conditioners on steering wheels as it makes the surface slippery and could be dangerous if you lose control of the vehicles steering

1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Masters™ Strong Effect Cleaner) or a Limonene (citrus) based de-greaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependent upon type and extent of soil or stain
2. For oil or grease stains use Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser (as for all cleaners - check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather.
3. This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.
Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush (Swissvax Brush), or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into a foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process).
4. Then use a compressed air nozzle to dry
5. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection
Do not use an abrasive on the surface as you’ll remove the ultra violet protective topcoat

Maintenance – hydrate the leather surface with a damp 100% cotton towel, occasionally use a diluted 1:10 degreaser (Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser) solution and distilled water to remove any build-up of body oils from your hands

Leather covered steering wheel
http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...ing-wheel.html
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
TimHarrison
Unwashed Member

I find Colourlock Leather Cleaning Spirit takes my wheel back to matt
TimHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
d4dek
Sponge Jockey

Dr leather wipes are good for this.
d4dek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d4dek For This Useful Post:
Dr Leather (15-01-2018)
Old 15-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
MrG47
Washmitt Meister

Similar marks on my steering wheel. They come from my jeans and/or the small metallic buttons on the rear/side of the jeans rubbing against the steering wheel when sitting in the car.
MrG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ

Thanked 1,704 Times in 872 Posts
This video may help

Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
Philb1965
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG47 View Post
Similar marks on my steering wheel. They come from my jeans and/or the small metallic buttons on the rear/side of the jeans rubbing against the steering wheel when sitting in the car.
The buttons on the rear/side of your jeans are hitting the steering wheel? You must be very bendy! I'd put a hip out.
Philb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
RICH2508
PC Perfectionist

Another vote for Dr Leather, the wipes kept my previous Lexus wheel like new over 50k miles and the leather seems very similar to my new Golf GTE which has the same wheel as yours.
RICH2508 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RICH2508 For This Useful Post:
Dr Leather (16-01-2018)