Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 11-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
DangerMouseUK
Sponge Jockey

Leather High Wear Parts on Seats

Hi Guys,

You know the high-wear areas on seats - the side bolster and the seat bolster that you rub when you get in and out.

Would wiping those areas more frequently with Dr Leather wipes say once a fortnight and then wiping down with microfibre be enough to stop them wearing prematurely ?

I also give the steering wheel a wipe down once a month with Dr Leather wipes and a microfibre.

Or are there any other tips out there to help me?

Thanks
DangerMouseUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,212 Times in 4,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouseUK View Post
Hi Guys,

You know the high-wear areas on seats - the side bolster and the seat bolster that you rub when you get in and out.

Would wiping those areas more frequently with Dr Leather wipes say once a fortnight and then wiping down with microfibre be enough to stop them wearing prematurely ?

I also give the steering wheel a wipe down once a month with Dr Leather wipes and a microfibre.

Or are there any other tips out there to help me?

Thanks
It will make no difference and I would be wiping that area less, I have to say solving the contact when coming out of car key and do a little repair.
I have repaired a couple of cars Alcantara one was, good luck, it’s not a Beene is it some seats had problems with wear and got replaced under warranty
Derekh929 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
DangerMouseUK (13-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 01:35 AM   #3
DangerMouseUK
Sponge Jockey

So you would clean the high wear areas less ?

I thought it was dirt getting onto leather that made it wear quicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
judyb
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Dirt and abrasion are what cause wear on seats so keeping the areas clean and protected is crucial.
Protect with Auto LeatherGuard and clean regularly with Auto Maintain with a deep clean with Auto Foam once again r twice a year - guaranteed to prolong the life of the leather.
Cheers
Judyb
judyb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to judyb For This Useful Post:
Old 13-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Dr Leather
Sponsor

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Leather
Talking

We've done a lot of work on this topic, mainly for the tanners actually making the leather as it is always something that our OEM automotive clients are always asking for. Our DyeBlock, whilst aiming to resist dye staining from denim, etc and to give an easier cleaning regime does also have the wonderful effect of reduced abrasion where surfaces slide against one another. And before anyone gets worried, the surface of the leather with the DyeBlock is not slippery, it simply resists wear as it is a stronger polymer overall with certain abrasion resistance additives.

How do we know this....simply through hours of lab work with all the necessary leather lab testing equipment, which I am fairly sure most other cleaning brands do not have access to on a daily basis, and through us working direct as consultants to the leading automotive tanneries of the world!

Cheers

Dr Leather

Dr Leather Ltd
E-mail: darryl@drleather.com
Dr Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr Leather For This Useful Post:
DangerMouseUK (13-01-2018), realist (13-01-2018)
Old 13-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
DangerMouseUK
Sponge Jockey

So not just your wipes (which I use) but also your Dye Block ?

Ok cool will look that up - will wiping them more often actually wear the parts quicker ?

Old 13-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Philb1965
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouseUK View Post
So not just your wipes (which I use) but also your Dye Block ?

Ok cool will look that up - will wiping them more often actually wear the parts quicker ?

Good question. Got the wipes and really like them. My leather is dark so is the colour block needed if you keep on top of the dirt from new? Does the colour block offer protection to wear I guess is the question.
Philb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philb1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 13-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Dr Leather
Sponsor

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Leather
DangerMouse UK - no there should be no wear with frequent use as the formulation is designed to be topcoat friendly.

Philb1965 - whilst a primary development driver of the DyeBlock is to resist the staining of pastel (white, ivory, tan, grey, etc) coloured leathers, it does impart a new, stronger topcoat to the leather that does not adjust the gloss, colour or touch of the original leather. So ultimately it does offer added protection to higher wear areas, but being completely honest it is a somewhat sacrificial coating that will last, with regular usage, for about six months. Whilst other companies claim longer, in our internal testing we have not seen any of them match our performance to martindale type testing for durability. So the ultimate answer is yes it will help on dark coloured leathers for easier cleaning and added wear resistance. We will be looking to bring out an upgraded version of the product in a few months time, so maybe we will change the name.....

Cheers

Dr Leather

Dr Leather Ltd
E-mail: darryl@drleather.com
Dr Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr Leather For This Useful Post:
chris.t (14-01-2018), DangerMouseUK (13-01-2018), Philb1965 (14-01-2018), Spike85 (13-01-2018)