Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Unhappy Help with paypal and money owed - strange one!

Hi guys,

Iím hoping someone here can help me with an issue I have at the moment, itís a bit of a strange one so bear with.

A couple of weeks ago someone I went to school with who was maybe not quite a friend but a good acquaintance asked me if I would like to make some money. I said sure, how can I do this? He said that he is now selling electronics from his own company in Manchester (used to live round here in Yorkshire) and that his Paypal account has hit itís limit and they havenít upgraded it yet. He said basically if I accept a payment for a few of his customers then withdraw and transfer to his bank account he will let me keep some of it. I said ok, trying to help someone out (I think this is a flaw of mine) and also trying to make £100 for myself as things are a little tight for me at the moment 

I took the payments, withdrew them to my bank account and sent them over to him (both added up to £650) and thought nothing of it. Then a few days later I log into paypal and they put me to a balance of negative £650 and said they have temporarily held the money (itís already gone a few days ago? by this point!) saying that they have flagged it for an investigation by paypal. This money was sent as gift payments by the way (strange for a business I know) I called them and explained that it was a gift payment, whats the issue etc, they said it was flagged up automatically at the other peoples ends as an unusally large payment and they have sent an email to them to confirm they did make the payment. I told this to my acquaintance to get in touch and tell them to go on their account and respond to paypal and he said he did that and they have done that soon afterwards.

I waited for paypal to review this and suddenly the other day I have seen that now I ďoweĒ paypal £650 and when I look in my account activity it said the money has been refunded by paypal. How can they just make this decision and then take it out my paypal? I asked my acquaintance to send me the money back to clear my balance and he can pursue recovering the money from the people who sent it previously and he said he would do so. He hasnít yet and keeps saying heíll send the money day after day, stringing me along it feels like? Paypal have rang me at work this morning but then the phone cut off after she announced she was calling from paypal!

What happens if I canít get the money from him to pay paypal, can I just ignore them? I know that sounds bad but I donít want to pay it if it comes to it as itís not my fault. Iíve seen various things on forums saying anything from paypal canít touch you (if you change bank accounts so they canít take it automatically which they may try) to ďyou will get bailiffs turning up and a CCJĒ etc). I donít have £650 to hand and an amount such as this would take me many many months to pay back in my current situation  This has all got me really really worried (maybe more than it should have?) I know £650 isnít a huge amount but itís a lot to me and I donít want to not pay it and get bad credit as it can stay on your file for 6 years and Iíd like to maybe have a deposit for a house by then with the other half as Iíll be nearly 30

Thanks for the help in advance guys
Smanderson117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
MagpieRH
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Don't ignore it - I think PayPal are like any other credit agency so they can chase you for it.
If it comes to it, pay it and chase your "friend"through the courts.

I'll be honest, it sounds seriously dodgy to me, and having looked into PayPal to use for my business to sell a few bits online, it's quite a common complaint that the buyer has a lot of protection but they're quite happy to screw over the seller. I think your "friend" may have done you over here.
MagpieRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I think it's not worth chasing him for £650 through courts as it will surely cost more to do that? Also it's a weird situation and surely the courts would just say I shouldn't have taken the payments?

I have heard that the seller does often get screwed over, shame really

I think I may have been done over, to be honest I do need to stop going out my way to help people as I always end up coming off worse and learn to not scrabble for an extra quid or two haha

Thanks for your reply
Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,084 Times in 1,927 Posts
Garage
Did you pay your mate by gift too?

It sounds like you've been had though.

So i take it your mate now has your £650 and paypal are chasing you as the original payments you had to clear it have been stopped?

May be worth speaking to their fraud department, although i fear that they may not act on a gift payment.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I withdrew to my bank account and then directly transferred from there to his account

Yeah he has all the money and paypal are chasing me for the money!

Think if I explained what happened they'd maybe come to some agreement? Even if I had to pay it but paid it off in instalments as I don't just have £650 laying around unfortunately
Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,084 Times in 1,927 Posts
Garage
Talk to the fraud department at your bank too if you made a direct payment. They may be able to reclaim the £650 in which case you can then use this to pay paypal.

As it stands, you have taken £650 from your Paypal account and it now appears that this money isn't due to you and Paypal want it back. I can't see that Paypal will be sympathetic. Your bank may be the best bet now.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,454 Times in 978 Posts
Garage
sorry, but you've been had. He is no friend, hes used your kindness against you. Should you have posted on here before something like that to ask if it sounds legit, im guessing the response would of been overwhelmingly to avoid it!..

To chase your "friend" through court is not as expensive or as difficult as you think, just go to citizens advice or look online, it explains it all.

If your not prepared to do this, then at least call the police, they may be able to put a file against him, maybe hes done this to others before, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Sadly, however it looks like you are going to be £650 out of pocket.

One thing I've learned from Paypal, It favours the buyer 99% of every claim. How do you know this guy hasn't paid you from another paypal account, then waited for the cash then made a claim against paypal saying item not arrived. Paypal then refund him the money and you loose out.

Last edited by DLGWRX02; 09-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Talk to the fraud department at your bank too if you made a direct payment. They may be able to reclaim the £650 in which case you can then use this to pay paypal.

As it stands, you have taken £650 from your Paypal account and it now appears that this money isn't due to you and Paypal want it back. I can't see that Paypal will be sympathetic. Your bank may be the best bet now.
I'll have a word with the bank and see what they say, I've been with them since I had a childs account at age 8 I think so hopefully that loyalty means something to them (probably doesn't in todays day and age)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGWRX02 View Post
sorry, but you've been had. He is no friend, hes used your kindness against you. Should you have posted on here before something like that to ask if it sounds legit, im guessing the response would of been overwhelmingly to avoid it!..

To chase your "friend" through court is not as expensive or as difficult as you think, just go to citizens advice or look online, it explains it all.

If your not prepared to do this, then at least call the police, they may be able to put a file against him, maybe hes done this to others before, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Sadly, however it looks like you are going to be £650 out of pocket.

One thing I've learned from Paypal, It favours the buyer 99% of every claim. How do you know this guy hasn't paid you from another paypal account, then waited for the cash then made a claim against paypal saying item not arrived. Paypal then refund him the money and you loose out.

I think this is the case unfortunately. Guess it's one to chalk up to experience and learn from for the future! He keeps texting me saying he will pay me so I don't want to start stirring up trouble already, we'll see what the next few days bring I guess. I'll ring the bank as per a previous suggestion see what they say
Old 09-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #10
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,454 Times in 978 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanderson117 View Post
I think this is the case unfortunately. Guess it's one to chalk up to experience and learn from for the future! He keeps texting me saying he will pay me so I don't want to start stirring up trouble already, we'll see what the next few days bring I guess. I'll ring the bank as per a previous suggestion see what they say

Give him a deadline, and tell him the police will be called. Don't just settle for "its coming tomorrow or next week" as with all these things, if you decide to report him for fraud, the first thing the police ask is why has it taken so long for you to act.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money, owed, paypal