Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
OllieNeedham
PC Perfectionist

My Experience with 101 & 205 on a DA.

Finally got round to trying out some samples of 101 & 205 on my Fiesta today. Unfortunately no photos, as I only did the drivers side wing as a tester to see how I got on with the products.

I desperately need some new pads, so I only had a green & black hex on hand. First thoughts are wow, even on just a green and black hex, 101 & 205 are so much better on DA than the 3M compounds and polishes I have been using! They seem to cut and finish a lot easier and quicker on a DA than I'm used too - which is brilliant.

I had the DA set on 4, and despite doing a very short set (due to having to pop out haha) the correction was very impressive! I'm going to order some more pads to give me some more options and make refining easier, which I'm heading towards Lake Country pads.

For you guys that use 101 & 205 on DA, what speed setting do you usual use? I've heard that 101 works best at lower speeds...

Thanks!
OllieNeedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
-Raven-
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,470 Times in 2,847 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the world of SMAT polish!!!

I just usually use speed 5 or so, never flat out.
-Raven- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Black.MB
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I use M101 on speed 5. Don't really know it works best on lower speeds... M101 is heavy cutting compound designed specially to use with foam pads on rotary, so there should be no temperature issues
Black.MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
OllieNeedham
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Raven- View Post
Welcome to the world of SMAT polish!!!

I just usually use speed 5 or so, never flat out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.MB View Post
I use M101 on speed 5. Don't really know it works best on lower speeds... M101 is heavy cutting compound designed specially to use with foam pads on rotary, so there should be no temperature issues
Brilliant, thanks guys - 5 it is! I'll have another go tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Steampunk
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,408 Times in 687 Posts
Garage
I'm glad that you like them!

The speed setting for me depends upon (A) what type of paint I am working on, and (B) what kind of pad I am working with. When using microfiber pads, I never go above speed 4, and on softer paints usually use speed 3. High speeds with MF pads are not really needed, as this simply generates more heat, and leads to shorter pad life. With foam pads, I'll use everything between 1-5 depending upon the task at hand. With non-diminishing SMAT polishes, a big factor in choosing your speed is simply how much you need to keep your pad slowly rotating under pressure. Anything beyond this is typically not necessary, and excessive 'freewheeling' of the pad can lead to a poorer finish on certain paints.

I would take a look at the Kevin Brown Method, as I found this theory extremely helpful in my process of learning how to get the best performance out of non-diminishing polishes: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...57&postcount=4.

Hopefully this helps...

Steampunk
Steampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
OllieNeedham
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
I'm glad that you like them!

The speed setting for me depends upon (A) what type of paint I am working on, and (B) what kind of pad I am working with. When using microfiber pads, I never go above speed 4, and on softer paints usually use speed 3. High speeds with MF pads are not really needed, as this simply generates more heat, and leads to shorter pad life. With foam pads, I'll use everything between 1-5 depending upon the task at hand. With non-diminishing SMAT polishes, a big factor in choosing your speed is simply how much you need to keep your pad slowly rotating under pressure. Anything beyond this is typically not necessary, and excessive 'freewheeling' of the pad can lead to a poorer finish on certain paints.

I would take a look at the Kevin Brown Method, as I found this theory extremely helpful in my process of learning how to get the best performance out of non-diminishing polishes: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...57&postcount=4.

Hopefully this helps...

Steampunk
Brilliant, very helpful once again, Steampunk - thank you!

I'll have a read through the Kevin Brown Method. The SMAT polishes are so much better suited to DA than the 3M polishes, so I'm chuffed that I've been told about them!