Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #81
percymon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,315
Thanks: 162
Thanked 657 Times in 548 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
Well.... just done an 800 mile round trip! Apart from being thirsty she behave impeccably apart from one small thing.

The day after I put the number plate lights in...it kept throwing an error up, check number plate lights whenever I turned the ignition off. I just thought oh well they're LED so voltage isn't quite right. (even though they should be error free).

Well...on the way back home on the motorway...I got warnings for every light...Check Rear Brake Lights, Check Rear Fog Lights, The indicators were flashing really fast like a bulb on them had even gone, then it started with the fronts... Check High Beam...Check Front Fog Lights..

It was about dusk so I needed the lights on but couldn't tell if they were actually on or not! So pulled over and had a look...all the lights were on and working fine...except one of my new LED Numberplate Units was off.

So I swapped both of them back to the originals made sure the bulbs where rotated in the right way and all was well...

Such a small thing but caused such a palaver on the motorway as I was worried I had no lights on!
a bit unlucky - most of these LED units are China sourced and can be a bit hit n miss on their spec and lifetime. Personally I thought they were too bright (esp given you're not supposed to show white light at the rear except for reversing lights). Perhaps a small rubber o ring on the terminals would prevent the previous leds from rotating ?
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (13-03-2018), Starbuck88 (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #82
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,034
Thanks: 4,866
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,620 Posts
Garage
Thanks everyone, yes they won't be going back in the car.

I did see lots of people on the motorway with really bright number plate lights. I just wanted something that looks a bit fresher.


Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
a bit unlucky - most of these LED units are China sourced and can be a bit hit n miss on their spec and lifetime. Personally I thought they were too bright (esp given you're not supposed to show white light at the rear except for reversing lights). Perhaps a small rubber o ring on the terminals would prevent the previous leds from rotating ?
That's a great idea! I think I'll get some new LED bulbs as these ones have that blue tint that I don't like and if the replacements have heat sinks on them, I'll definitely be using your suggestion!
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
SBM (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #83
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
 
Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: County Down
Posts: 6,800
Thanks: 11,491
Thanked 5,082 Times in 3,717 Posts
Garage
Hi bud

When I replaced the number plate lights on the focus, I had to squeeze the terminals together slightly to make sure the bulb didn't drop out lol. Maybe just tightening them up a bit would stop the bulb rotating. Mebby. Lol

N

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
SBM (13-03-2018), Starbuck88 (13-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #84
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,034
Thanks: 4,866
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,620 Posts
Garage
Small update...

The LED reg plate units were replaced no hassle, so now have 3 working ones..not sure what to do. I was going to use them as puddle lights on the bottom of the doors but they aren't the same connection...I would be able to modify but not a priority at the moment.

I ordered a 2018 Nav disc...they stopped producing genuine discs for them for this unit I believe in 2015...a seller on eBay makes them somehow with the latest maps but...my unit won't read it. It already has a 2011 'copy' in it so I messaged the seller and he sent a replacement and it still won't read it. I think I'm going to need to do a laser replacement in the Nav Drive. Ageing laser and the rumour is that BMW made these units with a lower powered laser so it'd struggle to read copied discs as the reflectivity on a burnt disc you or I could make is quite a bit less than a stamped disc. Something else for the list!

Got my first new bulbs from Classic Car LEDs that Fentum recommended turn up today. I much prefer the 'warm' light but now I'm not too sure if they're too yellow. Hopefully the middle Festoon bulb will turn up from them tomorrow and will see what's what.

Lower shutter speed so you can see the diodes..



With the cover back on and normal photo..



Don't know how many times I'm going to say it but really hate those blue/cold bulbs. If anybody wants them though, sling me your address and you can have em
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (21-03-2018), SBM (22-03-2018)
Old 22-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #85
Streeto
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Streeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 873
Thanks: 246
Thanked 260 Times in 211 Posts
I’m willing to bet if the car is blue smoking it’s the CCV valve, rough idle is also an indication.
Streeto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Streeto For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (23-03-2018)
Old 23-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #86
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,034
Thanks: 4,866
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,620 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeto View Post
I’m willing to bet if the car is blue smoking it’s the CCV valve, rough idle is also an indication.
I'm right there with ya

The thing is it's definitely white smoke, doesn't do it all the time and smells of petrol.

I will be doing the CCV and pipes anyway because it doesn't appear to have been done and I do have a little bit of oil consumption. These M54 3.0 engines for some reason have the reputation for drinking oil compared to the other CC variants of the same engine.

I think the white smoke is over fuelling because the Cam Shaft sensor is intermittent. I might be wrong on it causing the smoking but it is playing up and is important, so that's what I'm gonna try and replace first.

LED Update

Sorry if I'm boring you all with these LEDs, so I had an advertised as 'crisp white' festoon bulb delivered, apparently one side is a warm white and the other side a crisp white. Thought that'd be perfect as at least the warm side would match my new map lights...Annndddd what a load of crap. Both sides blue tinge, warm side is about as warm as inside my fridge freezer.

So back to classic car LEDs. I have now ordered their warm version festoon to match those map lights, but...I have also ordered a set of their white map lights and festoon. See how they come out. So I'll have 2 matching sets in warm and their version of white too see which I prefer.

I think 5000k colour temp is where I'm going to want to be and OSRAM seem to make them...they are however £15+ a pair not £3 so they add up to a significant amount with 11 or more bulbs to change so if I want to go that route, I will but later on.


I'm holding off any expense at the moment as I have 2 cars to sell both requiring work so are taking funds up, mrs on maternity leave etc so just being careful that's all.

As soon as the cars sell, I'll be able to start on big stuff. Sensor, CCV, Exhaust, Wheel Refurbs etc
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (23-03-2018)
Old 28-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #87
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,034
Thanks: 4,866
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,620 Posts
Garage
Classic Car LED's came through and sent me the sets I mentioned in the previous post.

So this is a picture of all 3 colours.

Warm, Cheap Blue Tat, Crisp White.



and now all white



They are so much better, make the car look fresh inside and not chavvy and give off a nice amount of light too.

Next onto more important things and bigger updates for you all!
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
percymon (28-03-2018)
Old 28-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #88
PedroC
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 41
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
Classic Car LED's came through and sent me the sets I mentioned in the previous post.



So this is a picture of all 3 colours.



Warm, Cheap Blue Tat, Crisp White.







and now all white







They are so much better, make the car look fresh inside and not chavvy and give off a nice amount of light too.



Next onto more important things and bigger updates for you all!


Crisp white looks good.

Did you replace ok your interior bulbs?

You got a link for me as I was thinking of doing exactly that.
PedroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #89
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,034
Thanks: 4,866
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,620 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC View Post
Crisp white looks good.

Did you replace ok your interior bulbs?

You got a link for me as I was thinking of doing exactly that.
Thank you, yes I have done all the interior bulbs now. I just need to get 4 more for the door puddle lights.

These guys, top notch service, respond quickly to questions and just tell them what fitting, what colour you want and they'll tell you what to order.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
PedroC (28-03-2018)
Old 28-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #90
Streeto
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Streeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 873
Thanks: 246
Thanked 260 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
I'm right there with ya

The thing is it's definitely white smoke, doesn't do it all the time and smells of petrol.

I will be doing the CCV and pipes anyway because it doesn't appear to have been done and I do have a little bit of oil consumption. These M54 3.0 engines for some reason have the reputation for drinking oil compared to the other CC variants of the same engine.

I think the white smoke is over fuelling because the Cam Shaft sensor is intermittent. I might be wrong on it causing the smoking but it is playing up and is important, so that's what I'm gonna try and replace first.

LED Update

Sorry if I'm boring you all with these LEDs, so I had an advertised as 'crisp white' festoon bulb delivered, apparently one side is a warm white and the other side a crisp white. Thought that'd be perfect as at least the warm side would match my new map lights...Annndddd what a load of crap. Both sides blue tinge, warm side is about as warm as inside my fridge freezer.

So back to classic car LEDs. I have now ordered their warm version festoon to match those map lights, but...I have also ordered a set of their white map lights and festoon. See how they come out. So I'll have 2 matching sets in warm and their version of white too see which I prefer.

I think 5000k colour temp is where I'm going to want to be and OSRAM seem to make them...they are however £15+ a pair not £3 so they add up to a significant amount with 11 or more bulbs to change so if I want to go that route, I will but later on.


I'm holding off any expense at the moment as I have 2 cars to sell both requiring work so are taking funds up, mrs on maternity leave etc so just being careful that's all.

As soon as the cars sell, I'll be able to start on big stuff. Sensor, CCV, Exhaust, Wheel Refurbs etc
But blue smoke is oil, white smoke is coolant (usually smells sweet due to antifreeze in the coolant mixture) & black smoke is fuel, I’d do a compression test to rule out any head gasket problems.
Streeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors