Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
PedroC
Sponge Jockey

Forced rotation or rotary talk to me.

Right I know this is probably the 1,000,000,567,898,865th thread on the subject but here goes.

I’ve lurked on here for quite a while and going to be in a position to spend circa £200 on a machine, pads and compound shortly.

I’ve watched the Forensic detailing vids and have been inspired to get a rotary following John’s advice for its operation.

What Im hoping for is some input from some DW members who have either gone straight to rotary or forced as their first polisher and their experiences with said machines.

My intention is to use them with SCHOLL S3 Gold and S40 to correct BMW paint.

Thanks all!
PedroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
GSVHammer
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Check out these videos, some useful info

Rotary

Forced rotation

DA
GSVHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
PedroC
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSVHammer View Post
Check out these videos, some useful info

Rotary

Forced rotation

DA

Good vids, thanks. Watching those, I’d say I’m swaying more towards a rotary.

I’d be really interested in user experiences where they’ve gone straight to rotary
Old 11-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

If you have never polished with a rotary before get training first as it's a steep learning curve and has a lot less room for error. A DA is more forgiving and easier to use but at the end of the day it's down to the user. A bad user with a great machine will produce poor results and a good user on a poor machine can produce good results. I would advise you to go for a DA first it's easy to watch a video but hands on is a lot different, you can catch an edge or burn through with a rotary really easily plus you still need a DA to finish and remove the holograms after compounding with a rotary.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Mark@PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
voon

Garage
Rotary is stronger, but a beginner will probably overheat his paint and kill it or get irritated by the pad constantly trying to run off, since you're just holding a turning wheel.

A DA is much safer for beginners, a bit less powerful in cut, but also doesn't run away due to the kind of orbital moves.

Personally I'd go for DA everytime as a "normal" home user.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
PedroC
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
Rotary is stronger, but a beginner will probably overheat his paint and kill it or get irritated by the pad constantly trying to run off, since you're just holding a turning wheel.

A DA is much safer for beginners, a bit less powerful in cut, but also doesn't run away due to the kind of orbital moves.

Personally I'd go for DA everytime as a "normal" home user.

Have you used a rotary?

If so, how did you find it when first using it?
Old 13-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Sawel
Orbital Oracle

I really wouldn't advise a rotary as a first machine. As Mark@PD said, there is a steep learning curve so why jump into something that requires skill and experience to use when you have never used any polisher before?

A rotary can remove paint from edges of panels very easily especially if you don't hold it correctly. All it takes is a lapse in concentration or a second of laziness and you will regret it.
Sawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
MiLLe
Sponge Jockey

Many people here started with a rotary and most of them are still alive and haven't been killed by those fire breathing monsters
I have started with a rotary and never damaged the paintwork on the cars I had to deal with. As long as you apply a few basic rules you should be fine. Always start with a soft pad/fine polish/low speed combo until you get a bit more experienced then work your way up if necessary to achieve the desired results. Also keep the machine moving to avoid overheating, this is VERY important. We were messing around with a scrap bonnet a few years ago and only managed to burn through the clear when we kept the machine in the same spot on high speed setting for more than 20 seconds.

If you don't feel confident about the rotary then buy a DA. You can get really good results with the right product/pad combinations. I own a Clas Ohlson DA and very happy with it, also well within your budget. If you can get something like that, a few pads and a few different grade 250ml polishes you should end up with a decent kit for much less then your budget.
MiLLe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiLLe For This Useful Post:
PedroC (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
voon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC View Post
Have you used a rotary?

If so, how did you find it when first using it?
No, but I've been watching videos, manuals and others since ages :P They all say the same. I'd advise against a rotary for beginners. DAs are not weak .. I love my Flex 3401 and Makita has a nice machine that can kinda do both (PO5000C I think).
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
If you listen to all the horror stories about using a Rotary then you will probably never use one it can be dangerous in the wrong hands if you decide to leave it in one area for ages at high speed, but you aren't going to do that.

There are factors that you will need to take good note of but if you apply good common practice i.e. Test panel, then why not just go straight to a Rotary.

Yes I started of with a DA, but the first time I used a Rotary it was a doddle just practice before and you'll be fine.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
euge07 (14-03-2018), PedroC (13-03-2018), rubberducky1957 (13-03-2018)