Detailing World Forum banner

Have the red foam pads changed in HD wax.

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  diesel_dog 
#1 ·
I was using the new HD paint cleanser yesterday with Bigpikle (really liked it, easy to use and felt it left to paint nice and clean - I'm letting him do the write up and findings :thumb:).

However we did notice a very strong difference between the applicator pads supplied with the HD paint cleanser and HD wax. The HD wax one's are noticeably thinner and of a completely different foam texture to the one's in the cleanser pack, which does make application of the wax a lot more difficult then with the new style one's.

Have they changed ? and can I get mine 'upgraded' :thumb: to the new one's please. Is a pack being produced ?

Just thought I would share this as when I came to one of your days last year, that was one of the things a few of use picked up on about the applicators and seeing the new one's it seems that you've listened to the users and made a change for the better.

So a 'well done' from me :).

#3 ·
one question about those foam pads
when i bought the hd wax the package had 2 of them i used the one only the next day i found the used pad was like rock (i said ok maybe is used to much wax or i didnt wash it well) but i found out that also the unused pad became like a rock,is this normal ?
in order to make the soft i have to put them in the water

#10 ·
Hi ads2k, sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this :eek: Glad to hear you liked the cleanser and I look forward to seeing the write up.

Now with regards the applicator pads; We regularly review our cloths and applicators, to ensure they are the best we can offer both in terms of performance and value. However, in this instance we haven’t sourced a new style applicator sponge since we introduced HD Wax 18 months ago. Whilst we stipulate that our suppliers achieve the desired specification with the manufacture of sponges, it is virtually impossible to manufacture two batches of sponges exactly the same. We check the quality and ease of use of all batches and whilst the texture may vary a little we have found them all to the required standard and performance has been unaffected.

Did you try the cleanser applicator pad with wax or did you just find that the Cleanser was easier to apply than the wax? The application of the cleanser will be easier than the wax because of the nature of the product - but if you have tried using this with the wax and found it improves ease of application it would be great to get some more feedback

sorry once again for the late reply. had to speak to lots of different departments for this :wave:

#11 ·
Hi ads2k, sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this :eek: Glad to hear you liked the cleanser and I look forward to seeing the write up.

Now with regards the applicator pads; We regularly review our cloths and applicators, to ensure they are the best we can offer both in terms of performance and value. However, in this instance we haven't sourced a new style applicator sponge since we introduced HD Wax 18 months ago. Whilst we stipulate that our suppliers achieve the desired specification with the manufacture of sponges, it is virtually impossible to manufacture two batches of sponges exactly the same. We check the quality and ease of use of all batches and whilst the texture may vary a little we have found them all to the required standard and performance has been unaffected.

Did you try the cleanser applicator pad with wax or did you just find that the Cleanser was easier to apply than the wax? The application of the cleanser will be easier than the wax because of the nature of the product - but if you have tried using this with the wax and found it improves ease of application it would be great to get some more feedback

sorry once again for the late reply. had to speak to lots of different departments for this :wave:
Adam and I did this together at my place the other weekend so I'll chime in...

We used the new pads with the HD Wax and they made it very easy. IIRC we also used the old pads and noticed a difference, in that the older pad made it more difficult to spread the wax thinly and evenly. We both agreed the firmer feel of the pad meant it didnt seem to 'fold up' in use and hence was easier and more effective with whichever product we used it with, and that included some non-AG paint cleaners as well.

There was a very obvious difference in feel, foam cell structure and use between the old and brand new pad. Both were used damp etc and Adam had been storing his in the original zip lock bag slightly damp.

#15 ·
Im glad i read this post,i did mention to one of the guy's on the Autoglym day that (this may just be me) when using the pad's with the hd wax i get really bad pain in my hand's, it may be poor technique i don't know but they do tend to grab the paint and just curl up and over . Anyway i have ordered some spare pad's from a post before and they came and they are the same as the one's in the cleanser box :) It's touches like this what make me appreciate Autoglym more :) Thankyou.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.