Detailing World Forum banner
18K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  Dazzel81 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is the first time i've felt happy enough to submit something into the showroom section.

The background,
The in-laws picked up a CX-5 (red) last year and despite me saying to not take it to a car wash this is exactly what happened. After a while they started taking it to a manual car wash (again against my advice). Now I have no idea what products they used but the trim ended up looking terrible as you can see from the before pics.

I originally set aside 2 days to complete the car, however due to weather I had to compress it down to a single day. I explained to them that it would not be perfect but rather I was aiming at 80% correction.

Fully packed car with most a lot of my tools as I didn't quite know what I would need to use (better to have and not need, than to need and not have):

The before Pics:

The Wheels:

Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner in doing its thing.

The Wash:

I decided to test out Anglewax's Shampoo (Angelwax fast foam was used prior), I picked this up for about £6 (can't remember exactly) from the shop. It's quite slick and has a great smell, the bubbles were good and seemed to last for a good while. If you are looking for a cheap shampoo as a spare this is a good bet. **I'll be reviewing a few shampoos in a later post**

This was followed by BH Korrosol and Tardis, which was in-turn followed by the Auto Smart clay cloth using Garry Deans Infinite Use detail juice as lube.

The correction:
I went for the DAS 21E with a 6.5" Orange LC Pad as I felt it has slightly less cut that the Hex Logic orange pad, which suited the soft paint, this was teamed with Megs M105. After the correction I followed it up with a 6.5" White LC pad and M205. For the smaller areas I went with my DAS6 Pro and 4" 3M spot pads.

Once corrected I applied 2 coats of C2v3, followed by a coat of AF Spirit then AF Illusion. The glass was cleaned with G6 and sealed with Angelwax H2GO, the tyres were coated with Opti-bond tyre Gel.

The trim was Treated with Gtechniq C4 permeant trim restorer (which smelled a lot like their wheel armour...)
50/05 trim shot:

So to the final shots...

Bonnet Flake :) :

The white marks are clouds and the roof gutter.

Overall I am delighted with the results, it's not perfect as I just didn't have the time, but after 8 hours their comment was "it's better than when it came out the showroom", which is music to all our ears :)

The upshot of the correction is they are going to be going down the touchless wash route as much a possible at home :)

Hope you enjoyed this post and as always if there are any questions please shout.

Cheers

Col

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.