Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 17-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Fast Cure Ceramic - 1 day detail

I'll be completing a 1 day detail with a friend at the end of the month on my E92 M3. I'm driving for 2 hrs there, working on the car from start to finish and then driving the 2hrs home. We'll both be working on the car all day so I believe we'll get it done, including a 2 stage correction etc.

Anyway, the question I have is regarding the LSP. I've been out of concerning myself with the market for some years after my last M3 went and the wife's Golf R really just got some wax as it was a lease and the family workhorse.

I liked the finish of the ceramic I had on the old M3 and appreciate the extra protection ceramics offer but I'm concerned about the timescales and curing times. Are there any ways round this with the modern products? I can't guarantee the weather for example, so if it rains on the drive home is there anything that will make this less of a problem or can I get round this?

My alternative is to stick to a wax as normal - I'm actually tempted to finally use my Swissvax Crystal Rock if I do go for the wax. Alternatives would be Auto Finesse Desire / Illusion that I also have already.

Cheers

Matt
horico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Jamesrt2004
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Those IR lights would speed up the process, though by how much I couldn’t tell you (I’m sure someone else here can though?

I’d personally not risk it, I’d absolutely wait for the ceramic to be cured prior to driving it.
Jamesrt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamesrt2004 For This Useful Post:
horico (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,348 Times in 4,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
Those IR lights would speed up the process, though by how much I couldn’t tell you (I’m sure someone else here can though?

I’d personally not risk it, I’d absolutely wait for the ceramic to be cured prior to driving it.
As the man said unless force cured with lights/heater I would not chance it , go down the route of non ceramic coat something like carpro reload and similar great results with little effort especially if you laid a base with car pro essence first or similar
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
horico (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
euge07
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

highly unrealistic expectation- sooner people realize ceramics are not just a little step above waxes the better

If it were me I would apply some Wowo Crystal Sealant/Capro Reload or Gtechniq c2v3
euge07 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euge07 For This Useful Post:
Fairtony (18-10-2018), horico (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by euge07 View Post
highly unrealistic expectation- sooner people realize ceramics are not just a little step above waxes the better

If it were me I would apply some Wowo Crystal Sealant/Capro Reload or Gtechniq c2v3
Thanks for the input, however, it isn't an expectation or ignorance - I didn't expect anything to fit the timescales but having done zero research for several years I thought it better to ask first.
Old 17-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
MSwiss
Washmitt Meister

For what my newbie opinion is worth I would avoid ceramic and go with Gyeon can coat or Wowos crystal sealant. Easier to apply and they both will give a great finish and good protection. Ok they wont last as long as ceramic but they will be much easier and give way more protection than a wax.

HTH
MSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Have you considered optimum polymer technology gloss coat? It's the one I'm going to try, it's a 2 year coating (roughly according to the info) but it's not sio2 based, I beehive you can drive about an hour after applying it. May be a bit of rsearch needed on your part into it, but it could be an option for your requirements.
DavieB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavieB For This Useful Post:
horico (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
matty.13
PC Perfectionist

Try pyramid ceramic coating .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matty.13 For This Useful Post:
horico (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #9
Yellow Dave
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,133 Posts
Garage
Using ceramics outside a few times now you DO NOT want to be applying it at the end of the day. Temps drop too long too quick into the dew point and condensation will settle on the panel. You would need to be applying first thing in the morning to give it a chance to start to cure before temps drop.

If you want a ceramic based product then TAC Systems moonlight could be used or a spray sealant such as reload or cure. Otherwise stick with a simple but durable wax
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Dave For This Useful Post:
horico (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
horico
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
Have you considered optimum polymer technology gloss coat? It's the one I'm going to try, it's a 2 year coating (roughly according to the info) but it's not sio2 based, I beehive you can drive about an hour after applying it. May be a bit of rsearch needed on your part into it, but it could be an option for your requirements.
Thanks for the suggestion - from what I've seen this evening, it appears you apply opti seal after an hour and can drive the car immediately - this may be a good option.