Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 23-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
Jason123
Orbital Oracle

Yes please
Jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
Fireball411
Washmitt Meister

Also very interested on doing this
Fireball411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
It's a nice little mod but what you've payed for the extractor and the Titan vac you can pick up a 2nd George.
Just to clarify, I'm in for £93 total - including the vac. I was looking for a second hand George, but ones in good nick seem to change hands for £150-180 on ebay. Much less and you're looking at broken or missing tools, so assuming I was going to have to buy some anyway, £35 for a powerful motor with a warranty, beats an aged tatty Numatic as far as I'm concerned. I was also keen to get a blower for drying; dedicated ones start at maybe £50-60 (18v Makita, bare) up to £100+ for mains power, plus it's yet another thing to store. At worst I'm £120 saved.

I think what I have, for car cleaning in the garage at least, is actually a better solution than a George. It's a piece of cake to empty because you don't have to faff with the solution tank. In the house it would be a different story though, trailing the hosepipe inside.

On the question of getting chemicals into the hosepipe - this is something I've not done yet. So my process at the moment is to apply chemical with trigger spray, scrub as necessary, and rinse just with water. It's working really well. Saying that, I have a plan to speed things up with a cheap venturi-style metering device from ebay. The flow of water creates a vacuum in the nozzle and draws the chemical through the throttle - if it works out OK I can calibrate it up in the same manner as a foam cannon. This will be a cinch to change chemicals too, by simply dropping the pick-up tube into the relevant neat container. I'll update the thread when it arrives and I've had a play.

So on to the vac mods:

Now using the included foam filter, as the upgrade 'washable' one you can buy disintegrated on first use. Firing dust at the car doesn't seem to be a problem, but then I'll not be using this vac for dry suction.

The hose on the Titan is really poor - far too short and kinks very easily. It's nominally 32mm (same as small Numatics) and is just a friction fit into the machine. This is the insert in the end of the pipe (it just pulls out of the hose):

I bought a 2.5m repro Numatic hose for £6.75 delivered, removed the threaded collar...

...and pushed onto the Titan adaptor:

The Titan hose end is 32mm OD and the Numatic 'exhaust pipe' end 32mm ID - meaning direct fit to Numatic attachments. I went for a genuine Numatic extraction nozzle at £33; you can get repro ones for £15-20 but I feel this is the most important part of the operation and the saving wasn't worth it.

George's water supply uses Rectus 21 quick connectors, the type favoured by small bore window cleaning setups and freely available on ebay. This is the male end I removed from the nozzle:

In the interests of speed (the local hydraulics place don't stock the Rectus connector), I replaced this with a 1/4" BSP 6mm hose tail (80p). The thread is parallel and sealed with an o-ring.

6mm braided PVC hose such as this at 79p/m. Plus a couple of Jubilees.

I'm using Geka couplings in my hosepipe, because they're more versatile and robust than the Hozelock type:

The coupling interface is a standard size regardless of the size of the hose to be connected. So no problem stepping from my 3/4" garden hose down to the 6mm. So in this case I have a 1/2" BSPP female fitting (you can see the sealing ring in the first picture below), connected to a 1/2-1/4 M-F reducer (£1.36), connected to a 1/4 6mm hose tail (£1.24). The threads at this interface are tapered and sealed with PTFE. The 1/2" thread is parallel as the hydraulics place had a parallel to tapered adapter, but a tapered thread such as the one I've linked should work fine in the Geka connector.

Needless to say if you buy the fittings all from ebay it'll cost a lot more than it needs to, and the benefit of a trade counter is that they can make it all up on the spot, and do you a cheeky discount...

Vac £35
Nozzle £33
Vac Hose £7
Water Hose £7
Other fittings and VAT £11

Job done.

Hope that helps!

It really was quite simple. Have tackled some minging carpet mats with it so far to great effect. BH Surfex applied at 10:1, scrubbed with a nail brush, and liberally rinsed through with water. You can see the rinse water coming clean (and sud-less) through the nozzle, which really helps target the problem areas. Pretty much dry as soon as you've finished - I reckon an hour with the AC on would dry an interior out pretty well after this treatment. I have a dirty cloth interior to tackle soon, can't wait!

Last edited by ttc6; 23-04-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Prices.
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
.Griff. (24-04-2018), dholdi (23-04-2018), djberney (24-04-2018), Fentum (23-04-2018), Fireball411 (24-04-2018), Jue (23-04-2018), stealthwolf (05-10-2018), steelghost (24-04-2018)
Old 24-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
Fireball411
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc6 View Post
Just to clarify, I'm in for £93 total - including the vac. I was looking for a second hand George, but ones in good nick seem to change hands for £150-180 on ebay. Much less and you're looking at broken or missing tools, so assuming I was going to have to buy some anyway, £35 for a powerful motor with a warranty, beats an aged tatty Numatic as far as I'm concerned. I was also keen to get a blower for drying; dedicated ones start at maybe £50-60 (18v Makita, bare) up to £100+ for mains power, plus it's yet another thing to store. At worst I'm £120 saved.

I think what I have, for car cleaning in the garage at least, is actually a better solution than a George. It's a piece of cake to empty because you don't have to faff with the solution tank. In the house it would be a different story though, trailing the hosepipe inside.

On the question of getting chemicals into the hosepipe - this is something I've not done yet. So my process at the moment is to apply chemical with trigger spray, scrub as necessary, and rinse just with water. It's working really well. Saying that, I have a plan to speed things up with a cheap venturi-style metering device from ebay. The flow of water creates a vacuum in the nozzle and draws the chemical through the throttle - if it works out OK I can calibrate it up in the same manner as a foam cannon. This will be a cinch to change chemicals too, by simply dropping the pick-up tube into the relevant neat container. I'll update the thread when it arrives and I've had a play.

So on to the vac mods:

Now using the included foam filter, as the upgrade 'washable' one you can buy disintegrated on first use. Firing dust at the car doesn't seem to be a problem, but then I'll not be using this vac for dry suction.

The hose on the Titan is really poor - far too short and kinks very easily. It's nominally 32mm (same as small Numatics) and is just a friction fit into the machine. This is the insert in the end of the pipe (it just pulls out of the hose):

I bought a 2.5m repro Numatic hose for £6.75 delivered, removed the threaded collar...

The Titan hose end is 32mm OD and the Numatic 'exhaust pipe' end 32mm ID - meaning direct fit to Numatic attachments. I went for a genuine Numatic extraction nozzle at £33; you can get repro ones for £15-20 but I feel this is the most important part of the operation and the saving wasn't worth it.

George's water supply uses Rectus 21 quick connectors, the type favoured by small bore window cleaning setups and freely available on ebay. This is the male end I removed from the nozzle:

In the interests of speed (the local hydraulics place don't stock the Rectus connector), I replaced this with a 1/4" BSP 6mm hose tail (80p). The thread is parallel and sealed with an o-ring.

I'm using Geka couplings in my hosepipe, because they're more versatile and robust than the Hozelock type:

The coupling interface is a standard size regardless of the size of the hose to be connected. So no problem stepping from my 3/4" garden hose down to the 6mm. So in this case I have a 1/2" BSPP female fitting (you can see the sealing ring in the first picture below), connected to a 1/2-1/4 M-F reducer (£1.36), connected to a 1/4 6mm hose tail (£1.24). The threads at this interface are tapered and sealed with PTFE. The 1/2" thread is parallel as the hydraulics place had a parallel to tapered adapter, but a tapered thread such as the one I've linked should work fine in the Geka connector.

Needless to say if you buy the fittings all from ebay it'll cost a lot more than it needs to, and the benefit of a trade counter is that they can make it all up on the spot, and do you a cheeky discount...

Vac £35
Nozzle £33
Vac Hose £7
Water Hose £7

Job done.

Hope that helps!

It really was quite simple. Have tackled some minging carpet mats with it so far to great effect. BH Surfex applied at 10:1, scrubbed with a nail brush, and liberally rinsed through with water. You can see the rinse water coming clean (and sud-less) through the nozzle, which really helps target the problem areas. Pretty much dry as soon as you've finished - I reckon an hour with the AC on would dry an interior out pretty well after this treatment. I have a dirty cloth interior to tackle soon, can't wait!

Can this be done with out the water hose if I just use a spray bottle for that function?
Old 24-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #15
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball411 View Post
Can this be done with out the water hose if I just use a spray bottle for that function?
Well, kind of, but there would be no benefit to having the Numatic nozzle in that case. I presume you're thinking:

Hand spray shampoo
Agitate
Hand spray water
Vac

In which case, you could just use the Titan straight out of the box. You need a lot of water to rinse the fabric through though, which is where a setup like this really excels. You don't want to be leaving half dried up product in the fabric really.

Unless you're thinking along the lines of a pump sprayer to rinse out?
Old 24-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #16
Fireball411
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Well, kind of, but there would be no benefit to having the Numatic nozzle in that case. I presume you're thinking:

Hand spray shampoo

Agitate

Hand spray water

Vac

In which case, you could just use the Titan straight out of the box. You need a lot of water to rinse the fabric through though, which is where a setup like this really excels. You don't want to be leaving half dried up product in the fabric really.

Ah yes of course,I’ve never done wet vac as it always been to much outlay for little back,but this set up looks good
Old 24-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #17
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Ah yes of course,I’ve never done wet vac as it always been to much outlay for little back,but this set up looks good
Me neither before I bought this, but it all makes sense once you've done it. There's plenty of videos of people demonstrating George on Youtube, bit sad maybe, but worth a watch to get a feel for how these things work before you commit to buying one.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Fireball411 (25-04-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #18
Fireball411
Washmitt Meister

Quote:

So on to the vac mods:

Vac £35
Nozzle £33
Vac Hose £7
Water Hose £7

Job done.

Hope that helps!

Any idea how to use hozelock connectors on the tap end?

Love the look of the geka ones,but most people I visit have the hozelock type connections

I’m going to get the geka for home tho,as the ones I have drip loads
Old 21-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #19
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Any idea how to use hozelock connectors on the tap end?

Love the look of the geka ones,but most people I visit have the hozelock type connections

I’m going to get the geka for home tho,as the ones I have drip loads
Sorry, missed this first time round! Better late than never I suppose...

I'd probably make up a short run of standard 1/2" garden hose with a female Hozelock on one end and a male hose tail Geka on the other.

By means of actually updating the thread. My irrigation chemical device arrived. Ages ago. It works pretty well, just haven't had the chance to hook it up in a permanent fashion yet. Here is a video of the machine working with plain water:

The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
AudiPhil (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
BarryAllen
Sponge Jockey

Quote:

Hand spray shampoo
Agitate
Hand spray water
Vac

Thread revival.

Dried up product in fabric ? Is that an issue ? I use vax upholstery cleaner. £8 a bottle, dilutes at 20:1 and the vax machine just washes it through the top layer and extracts.... never 100% dry.

So that must be leaving some product in the fabric. No instructions to rinse.

Just intrigued why this might be a problem?
BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote