Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #181
SimTaylor
Washmitt Meister

They look great but silver is the right colour for me. Black wheels lose the shape of the wheel in my opinion.
SimTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #182
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Right,

Back onto matters slightly more mundane than massive BMW rims....I've been seconded at work to a site just outside Worcester so have the pleasure of a 66 plate Mazda 3 to use daily. In the meantime,the wife has been using the Insignia. Got a service wash today, still looking for as good as ever once done with the Wowos QD. Not so good was the fact the boot latch switch has given up the ghost. Again,a common issue on these with water ingress killing it. Only £25 new from Vauxhall and an easy job to fit (circa 15 mins) so need to get one ordered. Still need to get the fault code read too.....

Anyway, stone chips.....I bought the genuine Vauxhall kit a couple of weeks back but with either weather, schedules or family stuff, I'd not had a chance to do anything with it. Being a black car with a light grey primer, any stone chip stands out a mile. Went to the local hardware shop in Lutterworth and picked up two very fine artists brushes for the grand total of 70p.....

The Vauxhall kit consists of base coat and hardener. The brushes that come with the kit are akin to a Tip Ex sized brush and a bit too big really so poured a very little into an old bottle cap and got busy. These are perhaps the 4 worst chips on the bonnet. Apologies for the poor pics, it wasn't easy to capture them....

Having read the stone chip guides in here I got busy. Wiped down first with panel wipe them onto applying the paint. Several thin layers to try and fill up the chips. Easier said than done...

Reasonably happy with the chips in the second pic although that's only base I've used. No lacquer on yet. There were also a multitude of other very very small chips which required the very slightest touch with the brush. At this point I thought I'd mix the base and the lacquer 50/50. However, I'm not sure why but doing so made the paint go very stodgy and appear to start going off almost immediately. Wonder if I have the ratios wrong? Anyway, I decanted a little more fresh base paint and touched everything up. I'm planning on wet sanding with 2500 grit wet and dry all the bits I've touched in and then polishing with one of my compunds. Hopeful that will work and assume 2500 will be fine enough?
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #183
M3simon
Orbital Oracle

Nice work.
M3simon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M3simon For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (21-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #184
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,873 Posts
Garage
Good work chum.

I did the same on my black Exeo, and used 2000 and 3000. I'd say the 2500 would be just fine on its own. The thing I found was that with the smaller chips, the wet and dry pulled the touch up paint out, even though I had left it a week before sanding. I think the issue was purely that there just wasn't enough of a surface area in the chip to allow the touch-up to adhere to.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603

Last edited by Cookies; 21-01-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Accidentally typed xbox in the middle of the post!!
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (21-01-2017), SBM (29-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #185
Ben_W

Thanks Niall,

Yeah, the paint pulling out is a concern. Will see how we go. Just been out to the shop for some stuff for dinner and some ciders (what a surprise!) and had a look at the chips I've filled. Have shrunk back a bit as they've dried which is to be expected so looks like they may need a top up tomorrow. Gives me time to get the wet and dry sorted anyways.

Ammo NYC have a great video on doing stone chips on YouTube although they do mix the colour and clear. I need to experiment on ratios and see if I can get something to work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (21-01-2017), Rían P (21-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #186
Ben_W

This is the video

https://youtu.be/6xi3xmeO6C4
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Rían P (21-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #187
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,873 Posts
Garage
Funnily enough I watched that when doing mine too. Very clever use of the wax, don't you think?

I have a vague recollection of the paint going off when mixing the lacquer in, so I ended up getting a 100ml tin of mixed lacquer and paint from Paints4u. It was a far better consistency, and much easier applied than what I originally ended up with by mixing myself.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (21-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #188
Ben_W

Yes, very clever use of wax, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Am going to try different mix ratios of base and clear and see what I can come up with, other wise I might do what you did. That will certainly make life easier when dealing with the front bumper and the bits at the bottom of the front of the rear arch.

Might invest in some armour film for the prone bjts too, once its all sorted.
Cookies (22-01-2017)
Old 22-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #189
Ben_W

Invested in a sanding block and some 2500 grit today and after a massive Sunday dinner at the olds with my brother and sister and respective partners, I got busy.

Plenty of water and gentle sanding of the bits id touched up until they were flush with the surface. Very nerve racking taking sandpaper to otherwise nearly perfect paint but having seen examples on here of people doing it and it polishing out fine, I stopped worrying and started sanding.

Despite the light grade of the wet and dry, the paint sanded back pretty quickly. All that was left was the haze from the sanding. A yellow Lake Country pad, Menz Power finish and the Flex DA make pretty quick work of correcting the haze that was left. Very happy. Ill post some pics later as posting off my crap work phone which doesn't like working with Photobucket. One of the chips needs just a little more paint to fill a couple of low spots.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (22-01-2017), Rían P (22-01-2017)
Old 22-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #190
Ben_W

So, apolgies for the poor pics but this was perhaps the worst of the stone chips. You can see the two white marks toward the bottom of the picture.

Deep, more than deep enough to catch a nail, suspect the light colour is the primer.

Filling the chip with layers of paint yesterday left it looking like this.

Pretty well filled. Bit difficult to tell at this point if it's properly full but it's near enough. The video I linked also say you may have to revisit the paint adding stage once you've flatted and polished and can clearly see what's what. So, with worries cast aside, on with the wet sanding. Very little pressure, pretty much just the weight of the block, only in one direction gets to this.

I was quite please with that. Concerned about the hazing but pleased with how the touch up had finished down. Original marks just to the right of my finger.

I flatted off 3 chips I'd touched up this side of the bonnet. None of the paint pulled out which was great.

The light was pretty crap at this stage for photos. Light enough that I could see what I was doing but naff for pics. This is after polishing.

Still needs a little more work but a massive improvement from how it started out. The chip nearest the windscreen finished perfectly. Haven't any pics but is that good I can't even see where it was. A smaller chip than these but happy nonetheless.

Last edited by Ben_W; 22-01-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Cookies (22-01-2017)