Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #31
Rían P
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rían P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 866
Thanks: 722
Thanked 375 Times in 316 Posts
Garage
Lovely motor sir!
Cream leather seats are hard beat!

Looking forward to the next update. Always like seeing engine maintenance coming first.

Good man,
Rían P
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rían P For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #32
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorty View Post
It certainly sounds a bit like a vacuum leak...
Exactly what I thought. I will get this hose changed over and then check the PCV next as been suggested.

My spark plugs and vacuum pipe turned up today
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #33
Disco Smudge
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 261
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 83 Posts
Do the revs blip at all, without your input? Another thing is there is a one way valve in one of the vacuum hoses. Try taking the oil cap off with the engine running if there is suction that valve can be the culprit
Disco Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Smudge For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #34
Barchettaman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Barchettaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 821
Thanks: 143
Thanked 360 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB5 View Post
Yeah go ahead. I'm still behind with mine, get my hydraulic brakes end of this month I think. Want it over and done with now ha


Apologies for the thread drift:

Vortrieb CX frame, 62cm, Kinesis fork
Ritchey WCS headset
Syntace bar & stem
FSA PowerDrive crankset 46/36
The rest of the drivetrain is 10-speed 105
Oval Concepts wheelset with Schwalbevstudded snow tyres

Currently set up with a slightly higher bar/stem and platform pedals for safer snow commuting.

Last edited by Barchettaman; 12-01-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Barchettaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #35
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Smudge View Post
Do the revs blip at all, without your input? Another thing is there is a one way valve in one of the vacuum hoses. Try taking the oil cap off with the engine running if there is suction that valve can be the culprit
On idle the revs are not perfect especially on cold start.

I do have some one way valves in the system. I want to remove a load of the system but I'm speaking to a few people to try and get a guide for the AGU.

Where I don't have SAI I don't have to remove a EVAP system I'm assuming but all the videos I have seen have that, although some of the vacuum system is similar.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #36
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchettaman View Post
Apologies for the thread drift and gigantic photo:

Vortrieb CX frame, 62cm, Kinesis fork
Ritchey WCS headset
Syntace bar & stem
FSA PowerDrive crankset 46/36
The rest of the drivetrain is 10-speed 105
Oval Concepts wheelset with Schwalbevstudded snow tyres

Currently set up with a slightly higher bar/stem and platform pedals for safer snow commuting.
Looking good, hows it handling the snow? We have no snow here but I have read of a few people hitting ice here in London. Seen someone with a broken hip. Quite glad I'm in the car on the way to work rather than bike for now

I think I am going to stick with platform pedals, I don't like the idea of clip in, maybe because I have never tried before but hey.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #37
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: East Yorkshire
Posts: 224
Thanks: 194
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Yeah a lot of people do the catch can mod. My y piece pipe split at one point and spewed oily vapours all over my engine bay common problem I hear, they go brittle with the heat.

Do the N249 bypass mate you won't be disappointed! good to hear you don't have the SAI system, its a fairly heavy piece of kit the pump itself to be honest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB5 View Post
DV is on the list for sure. I will be doing dog bone mount bushes and the actual bush under the gear gaitor together.

Once I have the TIP and a new MAF I will then start looking at polybushing the car.



Car will be having new suspension at some point in the near future for sure.



I bought an SAI delete plate but it turns out the AGU doesn't have that system so I got a refund. I want to get rid of a load of vacuum pipes, I have ordered some 4mm vacuum pipe now but also want to look at the PCV system too.



Yeah stock suspension isn't great by any means.
Smanderson117 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smanderson117 For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #38
Barchettaman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Barchettaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 821
Thanks: 143
Thanked 360 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB5 View Post
Looking good, hows it handling the snow? We have no snow here but I have read of a few people hitting ice here in London. Seen someone with a broken hip. Quite glad I'm in the car on the way to work rather than bike for now

I think I am going to stick with platform pedals, I don't like the idea of clip in, maybe because I have never tried before but hey.
At the risk of tempting fate it´s absolutely feckin´awesome in the snow. The tyres are 622/42 with loads of studs and grip like crazy. The studs are off the centre line so if the wheel starts to ´go´ sideways the studs dig in and the tyre grips again.
Having said that it´s all thawed now so the bike´ll be going back in the shed til the next snowfall.
Bearing in mind I had the wheelset sitting around spare, I have about €240 in the bike as it stands, so it´s worked out pretty well really.
Barchettaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barchettaman For This Useful Post:
percymon (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #39
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanderson117 View Post
Yeah a lot of people do the catch can mod. My y piece pipe split at one point and spewed oily vapours all over my engine bay common problem I hear, they go brittle with the heat.

Do the N249 bypass mate you won't be disappointed! good to hear you don't have the SAI system, its a fairly heavy piece of kit the pump itself to be honest.
Yeah heard only good things about the n249 bypass but I have seen a couple ways of it being done. One being bypassed kind of and one being completely removed and using a resistor which I am in favour of!

Will get a resistor ordered now for starters and go from there and do the N249 today.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #40
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchettaman View Post
At the risk of tempting fate it´s absolutely feckin´awesome in the snow. The tyres are 622/42 with loads of studs and grip like crazy. The studs are off the centre line so if the wheel starts to ´go´ sideways the studs dig in and the tyre grips again.
Having said that it´s all thawed now so the bike´ll be going back in the shed til the next snowfall.
Bearing in mind I had the wheelset sitting around spare, I have about €240 in the bike as it stands, so it´s worked out pretty well really.
We are due snow in London tomorrow, supposedly, but who knows.

Wish I only had 240 euros in my bike, by the time I'm done maybe £700? Maybe more
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors