Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 24-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #11
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
My service was due, decided to get bmw to carry out inspection 1, big mistake, all being sorted now!

I had to change air filter and spark plugs:

18 months and sub 10k miles, think I am running rich!

Now to start on the oil leak from filter housing bmw found!

Properly minging, now whilst doing this job I replaced the filter housing gasket, radiator, expansion tank, expansion tank cap, both drive belts and the water pump! I had a coolant leak that bmw magically managed not to see and as a precaution I changed the main potential culprits! I have solved the leak, I believe it was the rad!

How bmw missed this, I do not know! Funnily enough neither did the service manager when I questioned him!
JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
ted11 (02-02-2017)
Old 24-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
President Swirl
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,218 Times in 1,072 Posts
Nice car mate. Would love one myself, but most the ones I find are being sold by dealers who haven't bought a Parker's guide for 5 years.
President Swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
M3simon
Orbital Oracle

Looks nice.
M3simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Yesterday was a fun day, I and my mate/mechanic replaced the trailing arm bushes as they had "worn considerably" according to bmw! Had a right laugh getting them out, only to see that they were fine! Oh well uprated parts in there now!

The front wishbone rear bushes needed replacing surprise surprise! Meyle HD to the rescue! They were amazingly easy to change! Also replaced 2 of the pulleys that were making a slight noise!

Now, in terms of maintenance I had also had 4 whell alignment done, obviously that needs to be done again now due to the work carried out!

In the very near future both the transmission oil and diff oil will get replaced, as well as the afore mentioned vanos seals! Then it will be regular oil changes etc and staying on top of anything that starts to arise! Oh by the way, if you didn't know (I didn't and requested the document to prove it) bmw now recommend shell 0w30 LL04 instead of castrol edge 5w30 LL01!

For looks, I will be machining the car when it warms up, I have just ordered the crystal serum light to protect it afterwards and am yet to decide what to add for repllency!

I will also have the interior trims dipped in Carbon and lacquered high gloss, I know it's contested but I like the look! I am also thinking about light window tints

I need to find the source of wind noise in the cabin, thinking about getting a smoke machine to see where it escapes! I am thinking the sagging door seals, which need repairing as £250 per side is a but much! I also want to replace the gaiters, probably with alcantara, but unsure as I don't like the leather effect type thing it has from factory!

I will also replace all of the exterior badges, and a few other bits along the way, I want to paint the calipers blue but I will take a long time to decide the type of blue!
Old 24-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Swirl View Post
Nice car mate. Would love one myself, but most the ones I find are being sold by dealers who haven't bought a Parker's guide for 5 years.
Unfortunately so! I wouldn't have bought one if I had to go out and look for one...
Old 24-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Had a bath today, only a quick one to remove some of the crud!

I know the tips need cleaning, they'll be replaced as they're pitted!

That's everything for now!
Old 24-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3simon View Post
Looks nice.
Thanks, wish it was of the M3 variant, can't stretch that far yet though
Old 24-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
slim_boy_fat
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,022 Times in 875 Posts
The 330 is a good substitute, in the absence of the M3.

Unusual surname Raven [assuming that it IS your last name?], your Dad's not called Norman is he? If so, we might have been pals at school.
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat View Post
The 330 is a good substitute, in the absence of the M3.

Unusual surname Raven [assuming that it IS your last name?], your Dad's not called Norman is he? If so, we might have been pals at school.
Yeah, it's got the ability to make me smile! Although it does seem slow at times, but then it seems quick in others!
No, it was a name of a car colour from when I joined a different forum and tried to keep them the same, although I spelt Jordan wrong great attention to detail by myself
The Following User Says Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (25-01-2016)
Old 26-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #20
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Discovered a knock this morning, BMW picked it up to sort out the issues I had with them and said it was the drop links... Went and bought front and rear lemforder links after work!

Going to order arb mount bushes too and change them all together, hopefully the car feels a bit tighter!

My crystal serum light arrived today, I think I will get the rear arches painted soon, then machine and then apply the serum. I haven't decided on what to top it with yet...

I also noticed that the front arch liner has been scraped against something and has worn away at the plastic. I shall buy a new one as they're cheap, I may even buy a new set of arch liners as a little project to do when it warms up!