Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 26-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #21
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Pecky's a good guy, and does travel around a bit with work so he might be able to meet somewhere to do the job. My 61 plate Astra needed a VCI code from Germany, but the 13 plate Insignia didn't.

What Navi unit have you got? I had a Navi600 but installed the Navi900 software so I had 3D maps and POI notifications.
Navi600 I think....
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #22
Ben_W

A few pics of the interior as requested....

Old 26-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #23
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza55 View Post
The back of the insignia's wheels are corroded, my astra's wheels were worse than that at only 12 k and 3 years old, sadly I won't buy another Vauxhall, but a few neighbours around me have Kia's at a similar age and the corrosion has crept around too the front of the wheel already, I wonder what could cause this?
No idea. At nearly 7 years old, I'd be daft to expect perfection. But then aren't the little bits that need work what make a long term project just that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (26-09-2016)
Old 26-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #24
JR1982

Garage
Nice looking motor mate. if you need to try a few bits for black paint your welcome to pop over, got some poorboys black hole plus a few other bits and pieces none of which are being used at the moment due to the D2 being sorn.
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (26-09-2016)
Old 27-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #25
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Navi600 I think....
DVD 800 NAVI having checked.....
Old 02-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #26
Ben_W

Started the decontamination/deep clean/winter prep on this today. A fuller update later as a couple of mates are taking me to the pub tonight to try and cheer me up.....

A teaser though.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #27
ibiza55

Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,075 Posts
Garage
Some bits similar to the astra j, looks well screwed together mate.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (02-10-2016), Peter77 (03-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #28
Ben_W

Ok, proper update time.

So since I bought the Insignia, I've been itching to get after it properly and see just how good I may (or may not) be with my Flex and how good I can make it look. I've also noticed a few marks/scratches etc which generally detract from what is a well cared for car. The biggest bit though for me was the state of the paintwork. Whilst for a black car it wasnt bad from a swirling point of view, the paintwork felt awful to the touch, making a rasping sound when you moved your hand over it. Not good.

So Saturday it rained pretty much all day. Nothing doing there. Went out, bought a few detailing bits and then got drunk on cider…..

Today was a different story. Awake properly early again (long story about 03:52 am, every day), I managed to go back to sleep and wake up a bit later. Despite the heavy dew and single digit temps, it was shaping up to be a very nice day. Several brews later, I'm outside, washing the car. It was at this point I realised it would it need claying and I had no clay…..quick jaunt to Halfords (yes, I know, I know, but where else will I get clay on a Sunday?!) and I got a Megs clay refill pack.

Back home, I got busy. Decontamination process started with an all over application of Fallout, which I then washed off and repeated. This was then followed by a liberal application of Tardis, also washed off. It was this point I realised something wasn't right. The paintwork was still rough to the touch, despite my best efforts, which I found very odd. If its not tar or metal contamination, then I can only assume it's over spray. I know the car has seen the body shop at least twice so a definite possibility.

Anyways, got busy claying. Not a huge amount coming off the drivers side but I know that's had relatively recent paint so no surprise. Onto the bonnet and it's a different story. This was perhaps the roughest panel to the touch. The clay was noisy and dragging, despite lots and lots of Born Slippy. Upon inspection, there was nothing other than this very light orange tinge…

Possibly bonded metal contamination but I'd have expected a double hit of Fallout to remove that. I've no idea what it is/was but appeared over several more panels on the passenger side too.

Passenger side doors are original paint, bit of tar here but nothing major.

So, this is what I was left with. Not bad from distance…

Not great close up. Alan (my neighbour and previous owner) reckons he drover too close to a bush, causing this scrape. It's down the entire length of the passenger side and I originally thought it a poor attempt at a keying….swirling visible in the second pic with the flash reflection

Couple of car park door dings…

Time to polish. Started with the passenger side as the scrape was bugging me the most. Taped up and after one pass using the Flex with a yellow pad and Menz Power finish…

And then after refining with final finish

Front and rear doors done and a half decent reflection

Rear quarter then done too. Whole side wiped down with Gtechniq Panel wipe and then E Z Creme glaze applied by machine.

Dinner was about ready and the light fading so quickly did the exhaust tip and called it a day.

Thats all I got done today. Achieved I think about 90% correction, if not a little more which I'm very pleased with. Need to see it in direct sunlight though to make sure there are no holograms. Plans are to machine the rest, glaze, then Jetseal 109. Some wax over the top of that should see her good for winter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (07-10-2016), SBM (25-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #29
saabfan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Looking good
saabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saabfan For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #30