Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 30-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
That's a lovely wee classic mini. I'd love to get a run in it after the charger is fitted. That'll be wicked.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603
If you're in Essex. Shout.
RobinsonNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonker View Post
Wow this looks good, can't wait to see how you get on. Miss my Mini, wish I'd never sold it, so much fun!

What 'box are you running to cope with the extra poke?

Love the wheels btw absolutely best wheels for a Mini.
It's a standard helical box, with a 3.1FD and a X-Pin diff. Same box that was built for the N/A engine. Helical gears are incredibly strong, the issue is the side thrust that is produced, I can't quite face the whine at the moment but I suspect a Sraight Cut Close Ratio set may well find its way in next year, along with a new primary gear!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

It's the weekend, so that means car stuff!

I started with getting the the crank pulley off, well, it didn't really wan't to leave. At all. The old timing cover took a battering.

Untitled by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

Flywheel locking tool? Na Mate. Thats what a screw driver is for.

As you can see, car is fitted with a duplex chain.

New timing cover on, with Genuine Rover gasket and WellSeal

New crank pulley on, and engine mount re-attached.

Because that wen't so well, I decided to pull the cylinder head off.

Don't worry, the bores and deck have been covered in Vaseline to avoid any corrosion and covered.

Head needs a quick clean off and a re-paint in the same paint as the block, I never painted it first time. Bad mistake. Difference was noticeable.

I've ordered, a plastic t-piece for the servo and vac advance tube, who knew there was such as a thing as a 4mm to 8mm to 8mm T-Piece.

I've also ordered some 5/16 UNC Stainless Cap Heads to replace the thermostat housing fixings as, the heater valve is being moved internal and the cylinder head outlet being drilled, to take hot water out of that end of the engine eliminating the need for a sandwich plate, in turn cleaning up and simplifying the engine bay.

Apologies for the crappy pictures, iPhone shots as I left the camera at home. Next weekends jobs, get the de-compression plate fitted, and the head back on, and essentially fit the charger, and start mocking up water pipes and fuel lines, and then start fitting and wiring my facet electric fuel pump and fuel regulator.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #14
JB052
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

That will be a lot of power going through the front wheels.
JB052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #15
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB052 View Post
That will be a lot of power going through the front wheels.
Spins the wheels in second on a damp day at the moment.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
JB052
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Why am I not surprised, great fun.
JB052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #17
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

Got all the bits taken off on the weekend cleaned up and ready for refitting, I'm still thinking I might powder coat the rocker cover black and file off the fins.

I also masked up the cylinder head ready for painting with the same paint I painted the block with. Sorry about the work top Mum.

DSC_0211 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

DSC_0212 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

It's alright, when i was building the gearbox, she put it in the dishwasher!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #18
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

So, finally got to the weekend, first Saturday off since the start of September, but I'm not working anymore in December touch wood. Of course, first Saturday off and I've been instructed we're going shopping!

Still, got a few little bits done during the week, repainted the head with the same Moss engine enamel I used to paint everything else, also refitted my thermostat housing, down to a single stat housing, as I'm drilling the outlet on the No.4 end of the engine to get the hot water out of that end.

But, progress is being made! My Goodridge 200 series Historic Race car spec 5/16 (8mm) fuel line arrives at work tomorrow and I'm waiting on a fuel pressure regulator bracket which I think will work and will look prettier than anything I can make from Demon Thieves.

So this weekends jobs are to get the head back on, and all torqued down and then get the rockers re-set, and get the rocker cover back on and all neatened up, and then next is to bolt the charger on and get the belt on, and then week after that get the pressure regulator on, and fuel lines changed, and sort the wiring for the Facet Electric Fuel Pump.

My Rad cowling has been shot blast and is in the midst of being powder coated, work are developing a new rad that they want me to fit to test so that should be finished in the next two weeks, its a 3-Core but the cores are huge! Hopefully should keep it cool.

Also on the list of things to sort are headlamp wiring which I've mentioned and I need to re-route the heater pipes, and find a choke cable blank. Loads!

Here are some pictures of the head all painted with new Stainless fixings and the engraving comes up nice. :-)

DSC_0216 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

DSC_0217 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr
Old 11-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
RobinsonNoah
Sponge Jockey

First job for today was get the mechanical fuel pump off and fit the fuel pump breather, the old fuel pump is held on with studs and nuts, two nuts locked together, you know the drill.

DSC_0230 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

and fitted never to be seen again. Probably.

DSC_0232 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

Once that was done, it was time to put the cylinder head back on. So the start of what will now be known, the Supercharger sandwich. So, first HG on, then the decompression plate and then the second gasket, and then the head.

DSC_0233 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

DSC_0234 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

DSC_0235 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

Next up, push rods. As you can see, when these were removed they were cleaned and then sealed in individual sandwich bags.

DSC_0236 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

and then the rockers went on,

DSC_0239 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

and the head was torqued to 50lbs/ft, I then re-set the valve clearances, 16 thou, as per all 1.5:1 ratio high lift rockers.

And then the inevitable.

DSC_0240 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

Bit of a fight with the nuts, mainly because you can't get to them with a single carb let alone a bloody supercharger.

DSC_0241 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

The throttle cable fouls on the rocker cover so I'll take that off and modify it.

Also popped the belt on, and the bottom hose to check for clearance, all good, and routed my heater hose like a boss, just need to dig out a P-Clip from the garage.

and then the final picture of the day.

DSC_0244 by NoahRobinson07, on Flickr

It looks Mega, and I can't wait to crack on more.

Next weeks jobs, get the fuel pressure regulator mounted, and plumbed in, and hopefully get the electric fuel pump on and mounted, and possibly wired up, then get the rad in and run it!
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsonNoah For This Useful Post:
Citygo (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #20
Citygo
Washmitt Meister

Great write up.
Citygo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic car, cooper, mini, supercharged