Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
Rían P
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Rover 75 - Upgrade and Maintain

Well hello everybody!
On the lookout for a new daily driver for the family, something a bit sturdier, fresher and safer, I looked at a few options. Be it a Saab 93, VW Passat, VW Golf, and the likes, I searched endlessly on Gumtree for a suitable motor – one with low miles, easily insured, decent mpg, and preferably diesel. I had a notion for a wee 1998 Rover 400 2.0 TD that my da’s friend was selling for a relative. This fitted the bill as insurance wasn’t crazy, and it was the preferred diesel engine which was very smooth and quiet for a car with 180,000 miles! Haha But anyway, long story short, we had started work on the car, a bit of welding in the arch, isoponing it, sanding that down etc, and preparing it for MOT. However, under proper inspection of the undercarriage, we found the chassis legs completely rotten…to say I was disappointed would be an understatement as it was (what seemed) the perfect car. Anyway, still with the notion of a Rover (Dad had a 620i when I was a child so it was a bit of a nostalgic thing too), I kept searching. This time, extending my search to include a Rover 75! I saw that you could get full leather Connoisseur models that were insanely well finished motors. So I kept an eye for a diesel connoisseur saloon, preferably in the wine red/ nightfire red colour (same colour as the 620i).

So the other night I came across a 2004 75 locally, in the colour I want, as a saloon. Only thing was, that it was a 1.8 Petrol with velour interior. I texted the fella anyway to get a bit of info and arrange a viewing for the next night.
After seeing the car and looking around it I really did fall in love with it. I mean it was in seriously good condition, with only 51,000 miles!!! The previous owner had given up his licence recently and had only done about 500 miles over the past year.

It had the head gasket done last year as a precaution due to slight smoke and a bit of sludge so hopefully that is ok, as I know the 1.8 has HG problems. All belts were done at the same time with a service completed as well.

As you can see below, the car is in exceptional condition with only some niggles – Sidelights all flicker quickly, boot is damp due to bad rear light seals (inherent fault), passenger rear floor slightly damp presumably due to boot, trim piece missing from passenger inside sill and pass wheel arch access to lights.

Apart from that, I’m having real fun with the car! It’s a pleasure to drive, just pure luxury! I must say it’s a brave step up from the Corsa B, being quite a bit longer and bulkier! But, it’ll just take a bit of getting used to.
Photos from the ad:

So my next few moves with the car are:
• Replace rear light seals with remanufactured ones
• Dry out boot and sort some mould that’s grown as a result of the damp
• Check the plenum for blockages (again common problem on these cars)
• Try and resolve the flickering sidelights
• Give the paint a good clean – Valet Pro gear
• Thoroughly clean inside
• Seal arches with Bilt Hamber
• Replace key fob casing which is worn
• Look at retrofitting some original mods from higher spec models – leather maybe?

So yeah, this Is the new wagon! I honestly cannot wait to get torn into giving the paint a good paint cleanse and wax and it is swirled and the paint is a bit rough to the touch, however is in considerably good condition for a 2004 car!

Thanks for reading if you got this far, and I’ll try be a bit more consistent with the updating/maintenance of this thread than my corsa b one!

All the best,
Rían P
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rían P For This Useful Post:
Cookies (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
Dave170
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Not a Rover fan myself but that looks a nice tidy example. I bet it is a little bit different from the corsa. Nicelittle project to have fun with there.
Dave170 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave170 For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave170 View Post
Not a Rover fan myself but that looks a nice tidy example. I bet it is a little bit different from the corsa. Nicelittle project to have fun with there.
Admittedly, they're not everyone's cup of tea, though there does seem to be a big following for them.
And as you say, it's a good example to have a bit of fun with. It doesn't require major restoration so it's just step in and drive which is lovely.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
jim23496

Garage
Beautiful cars, would love one for my daily but insurance has always been too high for me sadly
jim23496 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jim23496 For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Rían P

Garage
Cheers Jim
And I know, Insurance is often a real limit, and these cars aren't exactly Fiat 500's haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Rían P For This Useful Post:
jim23496 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
ibiza55

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,241 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly, looks like you've got a good one, my f.in.law had a diesel in that colour, did 170,000 miles, nearly all motorway, most comfortable car he had, and he had a lot over the years.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
baxlin
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Lovely. You must join the 75/ZT forum, there are some really knowledgeable folk on there. You mention the plenum chamber, search for the mod which allows you to check very easily.

My old 75, admittedly diesel Connie, is still around, showing 234000 miles currently.......

The flickering bulbs: I had this on mine, but I had fitted LED sidelight bulbs, which caused it, the previous owner may have done the same.

I remember cleaning the rear light seals, I treated them with silicon, which seemed to cure the leak.

HTH

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baxlin For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,064 Times in 3,026 Posts
Garage
Lovely big motor Rían. Cant wait to see the updates!!

Cooks

Sent from my D6603
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
robertdon777

Thanked 1,491 Times in 1,191 Posts
Garage
Use an old smoker Diesel Estate 75 at work as a delivery vehicle. Purchased for £1200 18 months ago. Get abused all day every day... Repairs so far: less than £400.

Not bad for 60,000 miles in 18 months.
robertdon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdon777 For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza55 View Post
Lovely jubbly, looks like you've got a good one, my f.in.law had a diesel in that colour, did 170,000 miles, nearly all motorway, most comfortable car he had, and he had a lot over the years.
Cheers Ibiza! And I can well believe it! They seem a good sturdy motor and definitely comfy

Tags
1.8 petrol, project, rover, rover 75, wax