Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Alien Magic
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,303 Times in 3,839 Posts
Garage
Detailingworld Review - Alien Magic - Glass Pro

Introduction
Hi guys,
I’d like to start by saying a big thank you to Alien Magic for sending out their Glass Pro – Hydrophobic Glass Coat for this review. See https://alienmagic.co.uk/

As I stated in the Argon review, Alien Magic has a very comprehensive selection of products on its website, including a ‘Pro Series’ selection of coatings and sealants. This Glass Pro is part of that ‘Pro Series’ and is accompanied by fabric, trim, metal and paintwork sealants. If you register on the site, Alien Magic will give you 10% off your first order.

Alien Magic is a relatively new company, formed in 2016. Their beginnings revolve around the owner being somewhat disappointed with how similar detailing products of different brands can be, so he set out to make his own, high quality products.

Have a read at https://alienmagic.co.uk/about-us

To make sure Alien Magic Glass Pro was given the best possible surface to bond to, the windscreen on my Ford Focus was cleaned thoroughly, clayed, and wiped with a 50% IPA solution.

The Product
As part of Alien Magic’s Pro=Series, the branding for the ‘nano’ products appears to be deliberately unique from the ‘normal’ Alien Magic products. I actually quite like that, as it gives the impression that they’ve really engineered these products to be special. I’m a sucker for a good brand!

The product supplied was a 200ml spritz bottle, clear PET with a spray head included in the box.

The product itself is a thin, clear liquid, with a heavy chemical scent. The spray head appears to be the standard for these type of products, allowing a spritz of product, rather than a spray or stream.

There are very clear application instructions on the label, along with some background information relating to the product ingredients.

The Manufacturer says:

From - https://alienmagic.co.uk/wax-car-det...pray-wax-500ml

Why Glass PRO?

Glass Pro is an advanced formulation based on Ceramic Nano-Particles that bond and activate in contact with glass molecules to create a hydrophobic barrier layer while also covering minor scratches on all automotive glass.

Glass Pro actively repels water giving you better visibility in the rain, sleet and snow. As a result, rain drops and road spray are blown off by airflow over the car when driving speeds rise above 30 mph and carry away fresh dirt and grime, meaning that the coating is partially self-cleaning.

The durability of Glass PRO is outstanding, a single coat application will provide up to 6 months protection depending on application temperature and unforeseen adverse weather conditions. We highly recommend a second coat application on first use to ensure that maximum protection and durability is achieved.

The durability of our pro range is undeniable and this product is no exception, 2-4 squirts per window is all that is needed to apply a thin even layer of protections to all your vehicles glass, giving you up to 3 years protection from a single bottle.

Key Benefits

Nano-Ceramic formula ensures an extensive water repellent barrier at speeds of 30MPH and above
Bonds and activates with glass at a molecular level
Fills and bonds with hairline scratches creating a smooth surface
Repels water giving great visibility in rain, sleet and snow
Rejects dirt and grime making window cleaning an easy task
Durable and economical formula ensures a single bottle provides up to 3 years protection
Car Care Advice

Glass sealants are a fabulous addition to any detailer’s arsenal, the ability to repel water ensures your windscreen wipers will last you much longer.

Direction For Use

Ensure the surface is spotlessly clean ideally using Prep Pro residue remover
Apply in a dry place away from direct sunlight
Spray directly onto glass 1 window at a time
Buff off remaining residue until full transparency is achieved
Glass Pro will be fully cured after 20mins and ready for a 2nd coat application
Leave to cure for a further 3 hours before driving to fully achieve its properties

The Method

Having had a good read, I followed the instructions.
I think at this point it’s worth mentioning that I had a some teething problems with my bottle of Glass Pro. I sent a message to Adrian at Alien Magic, and he very quickly sent me a replacement bottle, along with some of their Wax and Residue remover, and some glass cleaner.
So, I set to work. I cleaned the glass thoroughly with Alien Magic Wax & Residue Remover, Alien Magic glass cleaner, clay and IPA.
One thing I noticed was that the the instructions on the website, and the instructions on the bottle differ. The website instructs the user to spray directly onto the glass, one window at a time. The bottle, however, instructs you to spray onto a microfibre and apply in a circular motion. It’s really no biggie, but worth having consistent instructions across your products and platforms.
Anyway, on with the review. As the bottle was in my hand, I followed the instructions on it.

First, Glass Pro was applied to a clean microfibre and spread across the windscreen in a circular motion

Another clean microfibre was used to buff of any residue. There was a significant amount of bite at this point, and the residue was slightly difficult to remove. I didn’t really mind as it made me feel that the product was really sticking to the glass.

You could definitely feel that the glass had been coated, as it felt slick and ‘treated.’
I waited 15 minutes and applied a second coat in the same manner.

And then allowed it to cure for 3 hours before testing.….

It worked excellently. I’ve actually tested this over the past 4 weeks or so, and the Glass Pro is still performing really well. I’ve used the wipers on occasion, and given the state of the roads, have frequently used strong screen wash. Glass Pro is still clearing the screen from around 40mph.

Here's a short vid of the water behaviour after around 4 weeks.

https://youtu.be/_nWs5FsYAHA

Price

Alien Magic Glass Pro is available to purchase directly from Alien Magic at https://alienmagic.co.uk/sealants-co...ass-coat-200ml

The price is £15.99 for 200ml.

Alien Magic currently also provides free standard 2-3 day UK shipping on all orders, with next-day delivery available for £6, if ordered before 12 noon. See https://alienmagic.co.uk/shipping for further detail.

Would I use it again?

Yes. I’ve been using glass coatings for many years, and this definitely worked for me. Very easy to apply, and evidently long lasting.

Conclusion

Alien Magic Glass Pro impressed me. Water ran off at speeds over 30-40 mph, depending on the droplet size. Early indications are good, in that after 4 weeks, performance hasn’t really dropped off to any noticeable degree. It’s set at a good price point, but you really don’t use much to treat all the glass, so a bottle should last for ages.
One thing, and I mentioned it earlier, is the slight ambiguity in the instructions for use between the website, and the printed bottle label. A minor issue that should be easily fixed, but one that should really be sorted out.

Overall, a really good product.

Thanks for taking the time to read, peeps.

Cooks

"Detailingworld reviewer has followed the Manufacturer’s Instructions and accepts no responsibility to any circumstances arising from any member using these products or following this test "

Last edited by Cookies; 16-04-2018 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Uploading YouTube video
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Alien Magic (15-04-2018), Brian1612 (15-04-2018), dchapman88 (15-04-2018), OvEr_KiLL (15-04-2018), stonejedi (15-04-2018), WHIZZER (16-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Alien Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Thanks very much for the honest review Cookies, very in-depth and great visuals.

We totally agree about the conflicting instructions on the website verses the bottle, the website has recently been updated with a lot of new and helpful text and some directions have been amended to provide improved results.

The instructions on the bottles will in no way harm the performance of the products, we have improved them on the website and the products will all have matching instructions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alien Magic For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,258 Times in 895 Posts
Garage
Nice review Niall

Any chance of a video of the water behaviour?
Maybe not from the last pic tho where it looks like your relieving yourself over your windscreen
Lol

The Following User Says Thank You to dchapman88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (16-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Cookies

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Magic View Post
Thanks very much for the honest review Cookies, very in-depth and great visuals.

We totally agree about the conflicting instructions on the website verses the bottle, the website has recently been updated with a lot of new and helpful text and some directions have been amended to provide improved results.

The instructions on the bottles will in no way harm the performance of the products, we have improved them on the website and the products will all have matching instructions.
Thanks Adrian,

I've no doubt you were aware of it, but it's probably one of those things that gets left when you're in the throws of product development, testing and launch.

By the way, it's still going strong. Here's a very short video of it in action after more than 3 weeks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tf1KK4FnbH94QYir2

Cheers

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Cookies

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman88 View Post
Nice review Niall

Any chance of a video of the water behaviour?
Maybe not from the last pic tho where it looks like your relieving yourself over your windscreen
Lol

Lol Darren

I actually had to have a look at that pic again. I'd have been mightily impressed if that had have been me, but I promise it wasn't.

I've uploaded a short vid of the water behaviour in the opening post. Let me know what you think, buddy.

Cheers

Cooks

Last edited by Cookies; 16-04-2018 at 07:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
dchapman88 (15-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Cookies

Garage
I tried to upload a vid there, bit it didnt work for me.

I might open a YouTube account. Hmm. At my age too.....

Cooks
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
dchapman88 (15-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Alien Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Thanks Adrian,

I've no doubt you were aware of it, but it's probably one of those things that gets left when you're in the throws of product development, testing and launch.

By the way, it's still going strong. Here's a very short video of it in action after more than 3 weeks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tf1KK4FnbH94QYir2

Cheers

Cooks

Absolutely Cookies, I'm glad you pointed out the conflicting info so that others can double check the instructions for any other products that have also been amended.

The video shows how aggressively the water is sheeting off after 3 weeks which is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Alien Magic For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-04-2018)