Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #31
bigbrizo
Washmitt Meister

Good work mate.

What did you use/do on your exhaust tip

Mines is a bit like yours was
bigbrizo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrizo For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 AM   #32
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,041 Times in 690 Posts
I just used Autosol as I had some in the garage.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #33
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,153 Times in 3,082 Posts
Garage
Fantastic results there bud. What about Obsession Itus for over the winter chum. It's winter prep wax. Worth a thought.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (07-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #34
ibiza55

Thanked 1,284 Times in 1,252 Posts
Garage
Starting to get somewhere, nice work again.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (25-10-2016)
Old 13-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #35
Ben_W

So I knew the car had had an aftermarket front parking sensor kit fitted. What I didn't realise until last night when I had them switched on when I came home in the dark is that there is a zdisplay thats been mounted on the dash! I thought it was a sensor for one of the various auto systems.....

Quite pleased with that. Should stop the wife bumping it when she finally gets brave enough to drive it! Going to try and get on and get some more machine polishing done today as I am now off work until a week Monday.
Old 13-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #36
ibiza55

Thanked 1,284 Times in 1,252 Posts
Garage
Christmas lights all year round, love it.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #37
Ben_W

So with a couple of unexpected extra days off, I had to get out of the house and do something today to occupy my mind… Given I'd started polishing the Insignia, I thought I'd carry on.

Armed with a cup of tea and trusty hoodie (as clearly summer has headed south and it's a bit chillier these days!) I headed out.

First thing I noticed was that despite the full decontamination I did last week, there still appeared to be some level of protection going on….

Anyhow, I didn't take any before pics but there was visible swirling although the car has clearly been taken care of as it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been. Yellow Lake Country CCS pad and Menzerna Power finish and the bonnet done in 4 sections. Finished off with a white CCS pad and Menzerna final finish, again the 4 sections. Pleased with the result although the light and a crap Microsoft work mobile doesn't make for a great pic….

Had to then nip out and collect the Mondeo from the garage after its MOT and brake pipe mot failure repair, came home, grabbed lunch, another brew and went back out.

Now there was a section on the rear bumper on the driver's side just behind the passenger rear door thats always annoyed me. Clearly it's been painted but not very well….

A single pass with the white pad and Final Finish using the Zenith method and a decent work time and it looked like this…

Much happier. Then moved onto the rear quarter (now I had polished this about 6 weeks prior for my neighbour whilst he still owned the car) so again, white pad and FF with a pretty long work time with a bit of an effort at jewelling…..

Pretty happy with the levels of gloss I got…

Then onto the rear bumper by the boot opening. A bit of a mess before…

Again, it's clearly seen paint as there are some defects under the paint so again, gently with the wire pad and FF. Took two sets but looks a whole heap better.

Did some more then on the bottom section of the boot lid but need to upload the photos so thats it for now! Plan by the end of the weekend is to have it all machined, then E Z Creme glazed, Jetseal109 over the top and then waxed with Purple Haze pro before our week away near Great Yarmouth for half term week.

Feel I stepped up a skill level with the Flex polisher. Seem to have got some much better results than previously with just a couple of small technique changes thanks to advice offered by people on here!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
SBM (25-10-2016)
Old 14-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #38
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
So with a couple of unexpected extra days off, I had to get out of the house and do something today to occupy my mind… Given I'd started polishing the Insignia, I thought I'd carry on.

Armed with a cup of tea and trusty hoodie (as clearly summer has headed south and it's a bit chillier these days!) I headed out.

First thing I noticed was that despite the full decontamination I did last week, there still appeared to be some level of protection going on….

Anyhow, I didn't take any before pics but there was visible swirling although the car has clearly been taken care of as it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been. Yellow Lake Country CCS pad and Menzerna Power finish and the bonnet done in 4 sections. Finished off with a white CCS pad and Menzerna final finish, again the 4 sections. Pleased with the result although the light and a crap Microsoft work mobile doesn't make for a great pic….

Had to then nip out and collect the Mondeo from the garage after its MOT and brake pipe mot failure repair, came home, grabbed lunch, another brew and went back out.

Now there was a section on the rear bumper on the driver's side just behind the passenger rear door thats always annoyed me. Clearly it's been painted but not very well….

A single pass with the white pad and Final Finish using the Zenith method and a decent work time and it looked like this…

Much happier. Then moved onto the rear quarter (now I had polished this about 6 weeks prior for my neighbour whilst he still owned the car) so again, white pad and FF with a pretty long work time with a bit of an effort at jewelling…..

Pretty happy with the levels of gloss I got…

Then onto the rear bumper by the boot opening. A bit of a mess before…

Again, it's clearly seen paint as there are some defects under the paint so again, gently with the wire pad and FF. Took two sets but looks a whole heap better.

Did some more then on the bottom section of the boot lid but need to upload the photos so thats it for now! Plan by the end of the weekend is to have it all machined, then E Z Creme glazed, Jetseal109 over the top and then waxed with Purple Haze pro before our week away near Great Yarmouth for half term week.

Feel I stepped up a skill level with the Flex polisher. Seem to have got some much better results than previously with just a couple of small technique changes thanks to advice offered by people on here!

Great work, she's coming on a real treat now.
I'm from round the Yarmouth neck of the woods, I'll make sure I keep an eye out for a shiny insignia
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dchapman88 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (14-10-2016)
Old 14-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #39
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,153 Times in 3,082 Posts
Garage
Love seeing black paint looking like that chum. We'll done.

BTW - saw these.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...oys/1193280282

Or these.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...res/1192831929

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (14-10-2016)
Old 14-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #40
Kev.O
Washmitt Meister

I love the look of the 20" alloys! Would really finish off the look of the car.
Kev.O is offline   Reply With Quote