Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
JenJen
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Flex will be on the autobrite stand so if your wanting a flex get over, I'm hearing it should be a good day for any new flex owners
JenJen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenJen For This Useful Post:
-Simon- (02-08-2012), Kelly @ KDS (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
Z4-35i

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekerf1996 View Post
Still waiting on a price for a supplier, but what he has said so far, it looks very promising for you lot going to waxstock ;-)
My Waxstock advanced ticket arrived this morning
Z4-35i is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z4-35i For This Useful Post:
JenJen (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Buck

Thanked 1,106 Times in 926 Posts
Garage
Well I've just become a Flexonian - buying my Flex from Simon @ Wax Attack on a great deal (thanks Simon!) I got the case too - it's mahoosive!!

I attended the KDS detailing day up at shiny towers in June and that convinced me that a change was due!

I can't comment on the Rupes but I had narrowed my choice down to Flex or Festool and I felt that the Flex would be a keeper as it feels right in the hand and is a touch quieter than the Festool. (This means that my Makita is now going but that too is a great machine - just a bit too heavy in comparision esp for my puny arms!!)

I'm just a hobbyist so it isn't going to get a battering but I always like to buy the best I can afford and the number of recommendations for the Flex and also having a go convinced me.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buck For This Useful Post:
Eurogloss (08-08-2012), simonjj (02-08-2012), stangalang (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
simonjj

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Well I've just become a Flexonian - buying my Flex from Simon @ Wax Attack on a great deal (thanks Simon!) I got the case too - it's mahoosive!!
No problem Adrian, many thanks for your order.

Simon
simonjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
tzotzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly @ KDS View Post
I think that some machines are pushed out there by detailers with a slight backing from the suppliers or machine company .

My choice is totally on the machine performance , and got nothing to do with who supplied it or who makes it.

to date its flex all the way , never spoke to anyone from flex just buy a machine due to its spec.

The reason why the machine works , its in its gearing and reduction gearbox .

This means the spindle speed is half the motor speed , so cooling is better as the cooling fan is running twice as fast than direct drive machines , the machine starts a lot slower then most , and due to gearbox reduction you get much higher torque , so the machine wont bog down when heavy cutting at low speed .

This also slightly helps towards its smoothness as motors running at higher speed will always run smoother.

one side effect is it will use brushes faster than direct drive machines, but small price to pay.

I believe its one of the first machines totally design from the ground up to be a detailing machine polisher and not a development of a grinder

kelly
Kelly I think you will agree that any machine can perform excellent on the proper hand.

I think there are some quality differences when it comes down to
the built quality, but these are due to the different audience both companies aim for. Rupes aims for the bodyshop professional and his needs. Cheap and reliable.

On the other hand Flex is a very sophisticated and quality built tool, which is aimed for the few professionals that need the best result no matter the time or the cost.

So you can't really compare the tools. they cost different and there are built for a different purpose.

Can you achieve the best result with any of these tools. I think yes because its the operator ability that matters and not the tool.
tzotzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tzotzo For This Useful Post:
Eurogloss (08-08-2012), john m3 (27-08-2012)
Old 13-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #26
dooka
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man

Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,617 Posts
Garage
I can't comment on the Rupes, but the Flex rotary is an awesome machine, has to be the best I have ever used. 3 years on, and still performing like it did on day one. It is quiet, light, doesn't bog down, nice control with the varistart trigger. When it come to replace the P14, it will be another P14, although the Fien tools do look good..

Festool are also very good, but come from a woodworking background, so not sure they are properly set up for paint polishing/correcting, compared to the Flex. My only con to the Flex is where the speed control is located, or at least a click wheel, so you can feel where you are. Although not too big a problem, as I tend to use sound for my speeds..
dooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #27
3R PROJECT
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooka View Post
I can't comment on the Rupes, but the Flex rotary is an awesome machine, has to be the best I have ever used. 3 years on, and still performing like it did on day one. It is quiet, light, doesn't bog down, nice control with the varistart trigger. When it come to replace the P14, it will be another P14, although the Fien tools do look good..

Festool are also very good, but come from a woodworking background, so not sure they are properly set up for paint polishing/correcting, compared to the Flex. My only con to the Flex is where the speed control is located, or at least a click wheel, so you can feel where you are. Although not too big a problem, as I tend to use sound for my speeds..
Can you please tell me how to upload a video to demonstrate what Festool 16,000opm pneumatic sanders for the auto industry can do . No other mainstream company besides rupes makes as many products for auto refinishing as festool does . Also , the best sanding disks in the world for the industry are festool's granat . Since the release of granat my beloved mirka autonet and norton ceramic are a thing of the past . Plus , flex makes her money in construction sites not spray booths . Though that actually says a lot about how reliable they are . Like festool that has to endure the brutality of high volume wood shops .
3R PROJECT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3R PROJECT For This Useful Post:
tzotzo (29-08-2012)
Old 26-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #28
rossdook
Orbital Oracle

My Festool (a replacement for the 1st one, which lasted nearly 2 years) has just gone back to them after lasting 8 months. Seriously considering punting it and my new G220 for a pair of Flex machines...
rossdook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #29
RefinedDetails
DW Supporter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to RefinedDetails Send a message via Skype™ to RefinedDetails
I recently bought a Flex and I am so glad with the extra outlay compared to other rotaries I have used in the past - however, I heard that the Rupes system is very very good.
RefinedDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #30
mass
Washmitt Meister

I'm so glad i purchased the Flex after reading this review. Big thanks to Wax attack for the 1st class service.
mass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mass For This Useful Post:
simonjj (07-09-2012)