Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,293
Thanks: 5,532
Thanked 4,406 Times in 2,670 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy90 View Post
Thanks chongo.

What do you recommend for decontamination of the paint? I've already got snowfoam and some new claybars?



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Well before you start the decon a pre wash followed by a hand wash is required then I would get tar remover especially for the lower panels, it will be hard to see the tar because of the colour but they will be there then get some fallout remover then clay your car, depending on what clay you have, you will need some clay lube then once it's fully cleaned and decon then your ready to begin
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Well before you start the decon a pre wash followed by a hand wash is required then I would get tar remover especially for the lower panels, it will be hard to see the tar because of the colour but they will be there then get some fallout remover then clay your car, depending on what clay you have, you will need some clay lube then once it's fully cleaned and decon then your ready to begin
Thanks chongo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
X-Type_Bobstar
Washmitt Meister
 
X-Type_Bobstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toddington, Bedfordshire
Posts: 149
Thanks: 105
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Garage
Lovely car, it will look fantastic once its had the paintwork corrected. I would recommend trying S20, you can use a Scholl Orange pad or go to a burgundy pad for more cut. I've just done a friends Audi Q5 and that was grey, hard to see the swirls anyway but horrible to try and correct. Paint was hard as nails. The Meguiars microfibre pad plus S20 worked wonders on another mates 2yr old Audi A6. That was a darker grey, possibly Daytona grey? and looked immense when it was finished.

Last edited by X-Type_Bobstar; 14-08-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Typo
X-Type_Bobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #14
percymon
Orbital Oracle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 654
Thanks: 66
Thanked 261 Times in 223 Posts
This might be of interest..

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...er-winner.html

Either way talking to someone like Polished bliss (admittedly still 3 hours drive for you) might point you to something that works reasonable easily, with decent results, for a novice.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #15
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Type_Bobstar View Post
Lovely car, it will look fantastic once its had the paintwork corrected. I would recommend trying S20, you can use a Scholl Orange pad or go to a burgundy pad for more cut. I've just done a friends Audi Q5 and that was grey, hard to see the swirls anyway but horrible to try and correct. Paint was hard as nails. The Meguiars microfibre pad plus S20 worked wonders on another mates 2yr old Audi A6. That was a darker grey, possibly Daytona grey? and looked immense when it was finished.
Thanks mate I'll give that a go! I heard about scholl spider pads also? Have you heard of or used these?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #16
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
This might be of interest..

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...er-winner.html

Either way talking to someone like Polished bliss (admittedly still 3 hours drive for you) might point you to something that works reasonable easily, with decent results, for a novice.
Just had a look at the link percimon and it looks exactly like what I was looking for! Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
norman1979
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you manage to get the correction done on the S5?

My paint on my B7 is the same and in very similar condition so interested to know what you have used
norman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
meph137
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just for what it's worth (and perhaps to give some motivation!) I had a very similar scenario - I bought an Audi S4 which looked gorgeous but from what I can tell the seller (nice a guy as he was) had most likely used a filler to hide all the swirling from hand car washes, and also a very nasty deep scratch which I did not dare tackle myself so got someone else to do).

Anyway, I've never used a DA before, though I'm a fairly cautious and careful person and this was the result from about an hours work or so (which included using a fallout remover, a clay bar, drying and polishing). I found the DAS 6 easy to use, it was all in all quite enjoyable. Tip - listen to some music whilst doing it to avoid driving yourself mad!!

Sorry, it's a video - didn't take any stills.

https://youtu.be/3UtPDEHrF54

Edit - how do I show YouTube videos inline?!

Last edited by meph137; 21-11-2017 at 03:41 PM.
meph137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #19
meph137
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't mention I used a DAS-6 pro, hex logic orange pad hc400, I did try pf2500 and it worked to a degree but needed more cut and cleanyourcar said that audi paint will need hc400 most likely anyway so i didn't feel shy of doing it.

didn't have a PTG though, which i probably should, so I've now bought one.
meph137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #20
derbigofast
Orbital Oracle
 
derbigofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Inverness
Posts: 582
Thanks: 42
Thanked 126 Times in 118 Posts
Garage
i agree with scholl line of polishes but contrary to belief i found working for audi all cars paint was individually harder or softer even on two cars that rolled of the production line one after the other so do your research and test paint hardness buy starting light and increase untill desired result appears s17 or if required s3 were some of my favorites while buffing new cars and used alike all day every day
derbigofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors