Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 02:07 AM   #1
Scomar44
Sponge Jockey
 
Scomar44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Glasgow 7
Posts: 54
Thanks: 20
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looking after matte paint

Hi all. My brother in law has gone and painted his VW Golf Estate in black matte paint (don't ask). Just wondered what products to he can use to wash and protect the paintwork?

Autoglym bodywork shampoo and AG Rapid Aqua Wax or EGP have been mentioned but wanted to know other people's thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Scomar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,372
Thanks: 1,454
Thanked 1,250 Times in 985 Posts
Chemical guys do a really good range for Matte and also Nanolex check them out
Alfieharley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfieharley1 For This Useful Post:
Scomar44 (13-08-2017)
Old 13-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
c87reed
PC Perfectionist
 
c87reed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 438
Thanks: 46
Thanked 214 Times in 161 Posts
Garage
You wouldn't want to use any of the products in your OP, as they would all add gloss [incorrect after all] I think I also confused the Bodywork Shampoo with the Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner

You need a straight shampoo with nothing added, no silicones or glossing agents. Examples that I've used that would fit the bill are:
BH Autowash
Meguiars NXT wash
AA Luxallure
Nanolex Matte shampoo
AF Lather

I've previously had a matte black motorcycle, so I know that matte paint takes quite a bit of care to keep it looking 'matte'.

Last edited by c87reed; 15-08-2017 at 04:10 AM.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c87reed For This Useful Post:
Scomar44 (13-08-2017)
Old 13-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Scomar44
Sponge Jockey
 
Scomar44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Glasgow 7
Posts: 54
Thanks: 20
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c87reed View Post
You wouldn't want to use any of the products in your OP, as they would all add gloss.

You need a straight shampoo with nothing added, no silicones or glossing agents. Examples that I've used that would fit the bill are:
BH Autowash
Meguiars NXT wash
AA Luxallure
Nanolex Matte shampoo
AF Lather

I've previously had a matte black motorcycle, so I know that matte paint takes quite a bit of care to keep it looking 'matte'.
I've always fancied trying BH Autowash so might recommend that to him ( after I've used it first )

What would you recommend for a protection?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Scomar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
c87reed
PC Perfectionist
 
c87reed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 438
Thanks: 46
Thanked 214 Times in 161 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scomar44 View Post
I've always fancied trying BH Autowash so might recommend that to him ( after I've used it first )

What would you recommend for a protection?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The only protection that I have ever used was a matte sealant by Nanolex, it was relatively easy to apply, although I didn't have a lot of surface area for it to be applied to. When I was originally looking, there wasn't a lot of options but I expect that there will be a few more on the market now.

Last edited by c87reed; 13-08-2017 at 07:04 PM.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c87reed For This Useful Post:
Scomar44 (13-08-2017)
Old 14-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
Leebo310
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Leebo310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maidstone
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 622
Thanked 657 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c87reed View Post
The only protection that I have ever used was a matte sealant by Nanolex, it was relatively easy to apply, although I didn't have a lot of surface area for it to be applied to. When I was originally looking, there wasn't a lot of options but I expect that there will be a few more on the market now.


I've used this too on a Pirelli edition Aventador. Had a gloss black roof but the rest of it was Matte white so a lot of metal! It was easy to apply and despite being able to see easily where it was applied, the finish it left was invisible.
Beading was insane even after 9 months.
Washed with Nanolex Matte shampoo and then used their Final Finish Matte as a drying aid (although only sprayed onto the towel, not directly on the car)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leebo310 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leebo310 For This Useful Post:
Scomar44 (19-08-2017)
Old 14-08-2017, 01:50 AM   #7
c87reed
PC Perfectionist
 
c87reed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 438
Thanks: 46
Thanked 214 Times in 161 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo310 View Post
I've used this too on a Pirelli edition Aventador. Had a gloss black roof but the rest of it was Matte white so a lot of metal! It was easy to apply and despite being able to see easily where it was applied, the finish it left was invisible.
Beading was insane even after 9 months.
Washed with Nanolex Matte shampoo and then used their Final Finish Matte as a drying aid (although only sprayed onto the towel, not directly on the car)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used all of the same with their purple mf cloths, and yes, the beading was superb I found too.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Blackroc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 922
Thanks: 153
Thanked 636 Times in 352 Posts
Garage
GTechniq C2v3 is also excellent on Matte paint


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blackroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ
 
Autoglym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 1,019
Thanked 1,491 Times in 785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scomar44 View Post
Hi all. My brother in law has gone and painted his VW Golf Estate in black matte paint (don't ask). Just wondered what products to he can use to wash and protect the paintwork?

Autoglym bodywork shampoo and AG Rapid Aqua Wax or EGP have been mentioned but wanted to know other people's thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Have a read of this All findings backed up with lab testing using gloss meters, colour readings, etc.
__________________


Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Autoglym For This Useful Post:
c87reed (15-08-2017), Leebo310 (15-08-2017), Rich (15-08-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
c87reed
PC Perfectionist
 
c87reed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 438
Thanks: 46
Thanked 214 Times in 161 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoglym View Post
Have a read of this All findings backed up with lab testing using gloss meters, colour readings, etc.
Good to know now, but I don't think I would have ever known those products were suitable otherwise, and hadn't noticed when looking at the product labels/pages. You've also cleared up another little query I had:

Another product that I have used was AF Glisten, which is a spray wax, I was surprised to read that it could be used on all finishes including matte, yet still being a 'wax'.

Last edited by c87reed; 15-08-2017 at 04:17 AM.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors