Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Removing tar from plastic trim

My Civic has these grey plastic guards on the wheel arches which I believe were an extra when bought.

I was de-tarring the arches and sideskirts with Gtechniq W7 tar and glue remover a couple of weeks ago, spraying on then jet washing off. The product worked well but didn't get all of the tar off, so I'll look at using Tardis in future.

I stupidly got overspray onto these grey plastic guards and it seems to have stained them. Any idea what I can use to get it off? The bottle says use car shampoo but I think that's while it's still wet.

One more thing, I have some Gtechniq C4 trim restorer, is it okay to use on these as they are grey not black? Once I've got the tar off...

Cheers.

Last edited by Chris.91; 03-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Car pro pearl

Car pro pearl neat should bring them back, if I were you I would remove them as they will collect dirt and water behind them that will damage your paint and cause rust issues
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Car pro pearl neat should bring them back, if I were you I would remove them as they will collect dirt and water behind them that will damage your paint and cause rust issues
Yeah, I was thinking that. It's a 10 year old car so I'll be expecting the worst. The previous owner also had door guards on which had scratched underneath. These guards do more harm than good!

Last edited by Chris.91; 03-05-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.91 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that. It's a 10 year old car so I'll be expecting the worst. The previous owner also had door guards on which had scratched underneath. These guards do more harm than good!
Fingers crossed its just some scratches that can be polished out, ill keep my fingers crossed for ya if you decide to remove them.

Yea 100% they do more harm than good,
Old 03-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,429 Posts
Neighbour used AG Intensive Tar remover on his Mini and it removed the tar very easily from the plastic wheel arches etc with no issues at all
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Neighbour used AG Intensive Tar remover on his Mini and it removed the tar very easily from the plastic wheel arches etc with no issues at all
Any info for the OP though ?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
SunnyBoi
PC Perfectionist

use WD40, it wont affect the plastics yet remove all the tar.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,429 Posts
Quote:
Any info for the OP though ?

I was giving advice on another option (other than Tardis) to remove Tar from plastic trim - as per his title "Removing tar from plastic trim" and he advised the G7 hadn't removed it all and the photo appears to show tar...

Have I missed something ?

Last edited by Andyblue; 03-05-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: confuseddotcome
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #9
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post

I was giving advice on another option (other than Tardis) to remove Tar from plastic trim - as per his title "Removing tar from plastic trim" and he advised the G7 hadn't removed it all and the photo appears to show tar...

Have I missed something ?
AG intesive tar remover contains 70-90 % Naphtha were W7 only contains 50-70% Naphtha so the AG intesive tar remover is more likely to damage the plastics, on the plus side it will dissolve tar quicker

From is post he has already used the tar remover so needs a trim restorer or something similar not more tar remover,

and remember not all plastics are the same so the MINI plastics may be a different composition and have different dyes etc so just because it was okay on a MINI it may not work of this type of plastic

Last edited by \Rian; 03-05-2018 at 04:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
BaileyA3
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
AG intesive tar remover contains 70-90 % Naphtha were W7 only contains 50-70% Naphtha so the AG intesive tar remover is more likely to damage the plastics, on the plus side it will dissolve tar quicker

From is post he has already used the tar remover so needs a trim restorer or something similar not more tar remover,

and remember not all plastics are the same so the MINI plastics may be a different composition and have different dyes etc so just because it was okay on a MINI it may not work of this type of plastic
I would say looking at the picture posted and the fact the op said not all the tar was removed he clearly needs more tar remover. Good shout on the different composition's and dyes of different plastics, something I had never really considered, goes to show a test spot is always a good idea.

To the op, I have tried a fair few different trim dressings/restorers and can recommend infinity wax rubber and plastic wax. I find most liquid dressings can be quite messy, not very durable and to leave streaks down the paintwork after rain but don't have any of these problems with rubber and plastic wax and it leaves a nice uniform finish.
BaileyA3 is offline   Reply With Quote