Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
EG30
Washmitt Meister
 
EG30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 106
Thanks: 6
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanGirl View Post
It's a BMW but resprayed in Midnight Purple, so Japanese paint; the defects are mainly swirls, the boot in particular, and the bonnet also has some swirls and very fine scratches. I'm extremely careful with it but dark colours are a nightmare
I see, and what type of polisher and pads are you going to be using?
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
westerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 920
Thanks: 396
Thanked 299 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
First time I ever used a DA was with Sonax profiline perfect finish as its not to abrasive but gives great results on a car with light marring as mine had been polished about a year before

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax...nish-profiline
Rian/ on your recommendation I tried Sonax Profiline perfect Finish and was blown away with how easy it is to use and how good it was a t ridding my car of minor swirls.

It goes on really easy, is safe to use, does not dry during passes so no powder issues and as it is an AIO polish it finishes to a great shine.

I would recommend it for newbies or oldies like me who can't handle too many products for cut and finish.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to westerman For This Useful Post:
CleanGirl (25-07-2018)
Old 25-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
CleanGirl
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South East, United Kingdom
Posts: 79
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG30 View Post
I see, and what type of polisher and pads are you going to be using?
I'm picking up one of those Challenge Xtreme DAs from Argos because I can get it for free with some vouchers and Nectar points and I have a set of 5 cheap eBay pads at the moment, 150mm with varying levels of abrasiveness. I was thinking of staring with maybe the second softest and a very delicate polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
Rian/ on your recommendation I tried Sonax Profiline perfect Finish and was blown away with how easy it is to use and how good it was a t ridding my car of minor swirls.

It goes on really easy, is safe to use, does not dry during passes so no powder issues and as it is an AIO polish it finishes to a great shine.

I would recommend it for newbies or oldies like me who can't handle too many products for cut and finish.

Harry
Just quoting that to say thanks as it sounds really good
CleanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CleanGirl For This Useful Post:
westerman (25-07-2018)
Old 25-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
EG30
Washmitt Meister
 
EG30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 106
Thanks: 6
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Sounds like the plan.

With the selection of pads you have along with Ultimate compound and Perfect Finish you are going to try gives you plenty of options there.

Once you have done a few test spots with different combo of pads and liquids you'll get an idea what's best to use for the whole car.
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #15
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
suds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Ynys Mon
Posts: 1,716
Thanks: 679
Thanked 664 Times in 499 Posts
Garage
Beemer resprayed midnight purple? - your such a girl! My only concern is you are about to use use cheap pads as a complete novice? No..NO..NO. don't.
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
CleanGirl
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South East, United Kingdom
Posts: 79
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG30 View Post
Sounds like the plan.

With the selection of pads you have along with Ultimate compound and Perfect Finish you are going to try gives you plenty of options there.

Once you have done a few test spots with different combo of pads and liquids you'll get an idea what's best to use for the whole car.
Hopefully it will be all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Beemer resprayed midnight purple? - your such a girl! My only concern is you are about to use use cheap pads as a complete novice? No..NO..NO. don't.
Um, I think you'll actually find Midnight purple is an epic colour and not at all girly, especially not the on the GT-R! Best GT-R colour - fact!

Ok, so why are cheap pads a bad idea? More than happy to go and buy a selection of good ones, but just curious and I want to know why so I understand
CleanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #17
ENEP
Washmitt Meister
 
ENEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Malmö:Sweden
Posts: 162
Thanks: 16
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanGirl View Post
Ok, so why are cheap pads a bad idea? More than happy to go and buy a selection of good ones, but just curious and I want to know why so I understand
Cheap pads have a tendency to vary immensely in quality.
Velcro can loose its grip to backing plate causing the pad to fly away and the machine attacking the paint - can get expensive fast..
Foam doesn't last as long which basically means you'll need more pads.
Two of the same type of foam pad can vary a lot in there cut grade due to low quality and manufacturing controls.


Scholls Ecofix pads are great quality pads at a low price.
https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/produ...oice-of-sizes/
ENEP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ENEP For This Useful Post:
CleanGirl (26-07-2018)
Old 26-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
CleanGirl
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South East, United Kingdom
Posts: 79
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENEP View Post
Cheap pads have a tendency to vary immensely in quality.
Velcro can loose its grip to backing plate causing the pad to fly away and the machine attacking the paint - can get expensive fast..
Foam doesn't last as long which basically means you'll need more pads.
Two of the same type of foam pad can vary a lot in there cut grade due to low quality and manufacturing controls.


Scholls Ecofix pads are great quality pads at a low price.
https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/produ...oice-of-sizes/
Thanks for that

Right, so I think I have my shopping list:

Scholl Ecofix pads (2x orange cutting pads and 2x black finishing? Or more orange and just one finishing pad?)
Sonax Perfect Finish
CarPro Eraser (seems to be one of the best sprays for wiping down)
CleanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
westerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 920
Thanks: 396
Thanked 299 Times in 169 Posts
I have used a Challenge DA and they really are quite good for the price. Ideal for minor swirls and marring but you'd need a better machine for serious paint correction.

I think using some decent quality pads with it will enhance it even further. Just make sure you buy the right sized pads for the backing plate.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #20
CleanGirl
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South East, United Kingdom
Posts: 79
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
I have used a Challenge DA and they really are quite good for the price. Ideal for minor swirls and marring but you'd need a better machine for serious paint correction.

I think using some decent quality pads with it will enhance it even further. Just make sure you buy the right sized pads for the backing plate.

Harry
Looking at a 125mm/5" plate for the Scholl 165mm/6.5" pads, should be ok? From what I've read I understand you want at least an inch more pad than plate, so 6.5 should work?
CleanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors