Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 27-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #11
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Great post.
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #12
beambeam
Washmitt Meister

Wow, what a read! I'm practically breathless after what seemed like a roller coaster of changes and maintenance! Thanks for taking the time to write it out!

The shot in the middle of the dam was very cool.

You say it's based off an E9X chassis? How is the space behind front seats and what is the boot space like? I only ask as I have an E91 and find it difficult to deal with sometimes when carrying passengers and the dog!
beambeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #13
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mine, what a fantastic write up and a great journey - think we’ve all had a taste of what you’ve been through with the car and I really enjoyed it.

Despite the total abuse it’s had, very impressed it’s not let you down and testament to BMW I think

Some fantastic journeys / adventures you’ve had
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Minimike20
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beambeam View Post
Wow, what a read! I'm practically breathless after what seemed like a roller coaster of changes and maintenance! Thanks for taking the time to write it out!

The shot in the middle of the dam was very cool.

You say it's based off an E9X chassis? How is the space behind front seats and what is the boot space like? I only ask as I have an E91 and find it difficult to deal with sometimes when carrying passengers and the dog!
Thats correct, its a lifted BMW E91 Touring - So shares the interior and dimensions but with a slightly larger boot.

There will be further updates - I just need to upload them! I will also make a post about my MINI Convertible (despite handing it over yesterday) to be traded in on a MINI Clubman S as the work done on it is quite informative rather than anything else.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and comments - Appreciate it.
Minimike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minimike20 For This Useful Post:
reks (28-07-2018)
Old 28-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #15
reks
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Nice car and nice jobs too Mike.
Maybe you can share some of thise beautifull pictures on our x1 facebook group.
reks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
Minimike20
Unwashed Member

Alright! Update time.

So first up, what the car was designed for, beautiful scenic trips! We had lunch in Philadelphia which was lovely, as was the drive, nicely planned to explore a few dirt roads.

Thereafter we had a minor incident with the X1. Parked at an event at the school down the road I was aware of some tall grass in front of me. So before:

And then after...

I was in a rush to leave and with a que of people behind me and nobody willing to let me reverse out I did what any BMW driving smart **** would do, and I went forward, I mean its my X1, some grass wont kill it.... Yeah, but a slab of concrete hidden in the grass might.

I was fairly annoyed, we walked straight through the grass to get to the car on the same route I took to go out, guess its school fees and a bit of arrogance.

So that had to be solved and given my MINI was in storage at a clients house I was left with a car with its bumper dragging on the ground. Ever eager to learn I shot down to nancefield and returned with fibre matting, some resin, hardener and some masking tape.

Bumper off! This takes me less than 10 minutes these days:

Masked back together:

Resin and Matting in process:

I ended up doing three layers with curing time of 2 hours in between, then proceeded to remove the masking tape and voila!

In between, the car hit 110 000km, with a smile.

And a friend sent me this picture he found, after collecting his mommy wagon from Merc... This is how I drove the car around in the drought. Again, all praise to the Gyeon Ceramic Coating for protecting the goods. We were at Merc buying a car, which is a LONG story.

I also decided the straight pipe exhaust was starting to be a bit much. I loved the noise, there was never any drone or resonance but when the second turbo kicked in the sound is best described as "BRAAAAPPP" and that wasn't very classy, especially in town, setting alarms off.

I opted to keep my standard boxes when we did the exhaust and given I hated every tip we ever fitted to the car this was the obvious choice:

This was refitted to the car by Powerflow (R400 later) and the difference in sound is superb, its still throaty and turbo still whistles but its much much more refined and the car feels better for it too.

I hated how it looked so a wire brush sessions, some taping up and high heat black:

Its since gone dark black by the way.

From there, a few nights ago I went to fetch our MINI from its hibernation spot, quick Seattle Coffee stop with friends (we do this, just random in the middle of the night coffee meetups with friends, be it Claremont or V&A or Durbanville).

On the way home a drunk driver swerved into my fiancé's lane... He reacted by slamming on the brakes and swerving which brought the cars **** around (they were mid corner at about 80) and the bum of the car lightly grazed the metal armco.... Given this is a popular means to hijack cars these days and that the bakkie immediately took the Brooklyn off ramp, I advised my love to take the high road and just come home.

He was okay, the car was okay and the scratches 90% polished out. Lucky!

Other than that, I gave the car a bit of detailing love, a layer of SRP and cleaned the leather as I am a bit OCD about shiny leather.

Next bit of work will be to remove the rear bumper inlay (its plastic welded in from the factory) and get rid of the patchy paint, then when I have a moment, drop the front bumper to be sprayed... Again.

This time I think a new of arch liners can go in instead of the repaired ones I keep recycling.

And thats all for today! Enjoy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minimike20 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (31-07-2018), FabrizioTDI (01-08-2018), reks (01-08-2018), wrxmania (31-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Minimike20
Unwashed Member

So I have this habit of going for a Sunday drive... But its a bit complicated.

In the last year and 2 years I have owned the following cars:

Smart Fortwo Cabrio (Muis, and I even tracked it)

Freeflow Exhaust
Dump Valve
Eibach Springs

Fiat 500 1.2 (Mushu)

Lots of cosmetic goodies
Hockenheim Wheels
Erosion accelerated faster but I loved this car

Fiat 500 Abarth (Abby)

Factory Muffler Delete
BMC Intake
Software (145kw!!!)
Carbon Fibre Mirror Covers
Wrapped Roof
F*ck off Expensive Key Cases

Fiat Bravo 1.4T-Jet Sport (Johnny)

Straight Pipe Exhaust
Software (same engine as the Abarth)
BEAST of a car. Damn myself for selling it.

Smart Forfour Manual (Pippa)

Dont even... I cant deal. Made Merc buy it back.
Scored a cool plate though and didnt have to pay the X1's license for this year.

MINI Cooper Convertible (Dex)

I kind of still own this one... I bought it three months ago and have traded it on a Clubman S which I hope to get this week....

The reason for this excessive intro is because I traded the little convertible at a mates dealer. And my mate fell in love with the car.... So he has it now... And we decided to go for a little run.

A tidy 214km route was laid down and we got going, at the bottom of Pniel:

The dam looking a bit healthier... The last time I was here I drove my X1 where you currently see water.

Coming back through Vyeboom and Grabouw for lunch at "The Orchard" when the heavens opened on us.

Cheeky shot of the MINI on the move:

Returning to Durbanville after a quick stop at Fisantekraal Airfield:

The route for anyone interested:

I am immensely excited to get my MINI Clubman S this week - I feel a love hate relationship coming though!

Have a great week everyone!
Old 12-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #18
Minimike20
Unwashed Member

Hi Everyone,

Quick update, so I was going through some old photo's looking for some content to share and stumbled upon these two video clips.

Both clips are at Helderberg 4x4 on the advanced sections of the route and I didnt share them because I had my two brothers and a mate in the car (fully loaded) and because there is a lot of commentary and frankly, hysterical laughing.

But re-watching the videos they best describe what this car is about off road. Its a constant anxiety and then a stupendous amount of laughter and patting each other on the back when the car actually does the obstacle.

Whilst to most people Helderberg 4x4 route is a nice gravel route there are 2/3 very tricky sections for the softies.

This first vehicle is called Boomslang, you drive into a gorge and then have an incline so steep its fairly difficult not to fall over on with tree stumps slowing the car down. The X1 managed this surprisingly easy, but all you can see is sky, the handbrake cant hold the car and rolling back down is unbelievably scary, especially with everyone in the car... But, I rolled back, left foot on the brake to hold the car, and pulled off, with a BMW X1 on 2.6 bar Pirelli Runflats and completed the obstacle.

The video: https://youtu.be/Fk678xI2NEc

The second video is still a favourite. This was on a return trip to Helderberg but I had just fitted non-runflat tyres and the lift kit. Again, 4 up, fully loaded. This obstacle tests the strength of your vehicles axle articulation as well as its strength in locking its diffs and transferring power, which X1 is incredible at.

You will see, as we enter the obstacle I take a specific approach, knowing how my cars chassis will behave but was caught by surprise by all 4 wheels physically spinning the car sideways. After a quick reverse, and careful feathering of the throttle it was a matter of keep your foot flat and let the car do its thing.

My favourite part of this video clip is the sheer angle at which the car exited the obstacle (and how hard it came back down). These BMW's are built damn well. A screenshot says many things!

And the video itself: https://youtu.be/HF8-xZhOsVU

Again, this isnt a difficult route, but it has technical moments and besides Murasie, I would do Helderberg 10 times over just because its an honest and interesting route that lets you push the car without ruining it.

Have a great week everyone!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Minimike20 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #19
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,266 Times in 4,366 Posts
Thanks for sharing this brilliant, has to be the first X1 used off-road you should get the job with BMW marketing well impressed your pictures review and properly using AWD for what it was intended, thanks for sharing I enjoyed that
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
Minimike20
Unwashed Member

Quick Additional Video's:

A few guys have asked why my torque rating is so low despite the car making around 190kw on the dyno. Note this first video of the Boomslang obstacle, and the sheer incline thereof.

Video: https://youtu.be/RW9klAq2bC4

You will notice the car actually cuts the motor after I sat spinning all 4, those twin turbo's were overboosting and the car correlated the boost with the wheel speed and shut the car down. That was the first time it ever did that to me and I am grateful that BMW engineers these cars like this. Hence, I have a lower torque output in order to save my driveshafts in situations like this.

The second outside perspective video is what you saw from the inside of the car in the last post:

Inside Perspective: https://youtu.be/Fk678xI2NEc
Outside Perspective: https://youtu.be/Qga3n1Ff_VU

These video's display beautifully how Xdrive manipulates the differentials using the ABS to control power output.

Mike