Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 25-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Mikej857
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,059 Times in 682 Posts
Garage
The new ST

So after the money pit that was the RS I decided I wanted something a bit more reliable and less wallet draining
I'd had the devil developments Fiesta ST on loan and loved it and the enemy actually agreeing that she liked it (that's a first she normally comes out with "you should get a normal car")

I found a black 13 plate and a white 15 plate both for sale for the same price, the deciding factor wasn't price or mileage but the paint condition and the white won as the black looked like it'd been cleaned with a brillo pad at some stage

I looked at another white ST and no word of a lie it looked like they'd sanded the whole car with 40 grit and not buffed it properly you could visibly see the lines in the paint it was shocking

So I bought 2015 ST2 with style pack with 10k miles one owner and full main dealer history in white, I got sort of close to what I wanted for the RS I knew I'd lose some money on it trading it but it was one of those cars that wasn't easy to sell as it's a niche market not many people want a 10 year old focus

Here it is just after I'd picked it up after its initial enhancement

First impressions were it was like a very stiff go kart you felt every bump but to my surprise it was pretty nippy

I can't leave anything standard looking so when a bloke I know decided to strip his I made offers on the wheels and bc coilovers suspension and induction kit

17" XXR 527 with yokohama parada spec 2's

Full bc br coilovers with pillowball top mounts, these are 36 way damping and height adjustable and we're only a couple of months old

After having everything fitted the car is more supple but hasn't lost any of it fabulous handling characteristics

When I took delivery it had the usual poor dealer prep so the bottom of each panel was covered in tar spots and the whole car needed a full decontamination so I cracked on with the usual Obsession Renegade Fallout Remover & Purge Tar and Glue remover

I then did a single stage enhancement using a microfibre cutting pad and menzerna sf400, yes an aggressive compound but when finished down I find its ideal for a single stage combined with the microfibre pad its not a time consuming task and white isn't the easiest to identify defects on

I initially coated the whole car with a polymer sealant followed by a wax but recently I've noticed the sealant has reacted and caused lots of all I can describe as small microscopic bubble shapped marks, now I'm not sure if this is down to a reaction or application but I've used this sealant many times and had no issues previously and the only way to remove it was to go over the whole car with the cutting pad again

This time I've not bothered with the sealant just straight on with a development wax that Jay @ Obsession Wax is blending for me atm

I wax that often I don't need durability so a sealant isn't really required and the specs of the 2 new waxes are one will be an out and out show wax with ridiculous amounts of gloss but at the same time it needs to be easy to apply and buff and the 2nd will be the same spec but with enhanced durability we're talking weeks not months with the durability

Jay has sent an initial blend of the show wax that was a breeze to use which we're going to tweak a little, I really do enjoy the whole development process

I sold a fair few of my wax collection to concentrate it down to the 2 waxes I'm having Jay blend and a few limited waxes that i cant part with as I wanted to streamline the collection down to only waxes I'll use (believe it or not I had 5 pots of different scent and colour Obsession Evolution)

Here it is as it stands, once the new parts arrive I'll decide which map to put on it I'm undecided between peron and evolution atm

I've just ordered a bigger intercooler and a 3" downpipe ready for a stage 2 map which should by all accounts push it to around 240-250bhp which should be plenty

If I'm honest with myself I should never have bought the RS it's ownership was stressful and expensive and they say never own your childhood dream car

The new ST is blowing me away £130 a year tax and I was using £50/60 a week in fuel in the RS and focus ST in the fiesta it's on average less than £20 for the same mileage and it doesn't get driven sympathetically
Mikej857 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikej857 For This Useful Post:
66Rob (27-09-2016), Alex_225 (03-10-2016), asiangunner (25-09-2016), sean ryan (08-06-2017)
Old 25-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
-Kev-

Thanked 8,699 Times in 6,919 Posts
Garage
Looks smart, what sealant was it? If its a coating it won't of needed a wax on top..
-Kev- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Mikej857

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kev- View Post
Looks smart, what sealant was it? If its a coating it won't of needed a wax on top..
It was a polymer sealant that I've used many times without issue and always topped with various waxes so I don't want to put a name as it could be user error not product error

Was a weird issue that I've never experienced before
Old 25-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 5,310 Times in 3,782 Posts
Garage
I think it's a shame you got rid of your RS, I thought it was money well spent on upgrades and after market bits and bobs, your new ST looks good, wheels are unique, however the car sits to low for my liking if you don't mind me saying.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
Mikej857 (25-09-2016)
Old 25-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Danjc

Garage
Looks mint mate and the wheels work really well.
Danjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danjc For This Useful Post:
Mikej857 (25-09-2016)
Old 25-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Mikej857

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 View Post
I think it's a shame you got rid of your RS, I thought it was money well spent on upgrades and after market bits and bobs, your new ST looks good, wheels are unique, however the car sits to low for my liking if you don't mind me saying.
It was either get rid of the RS or go bankrupt trying to sort it and everytime I fixed one problem another came up, the final straw was it was ****ing down with rain the coolant temperature had gone through the roof so I couldn't have the aircon on as it made it rise even more and the whole car steamed up so I was sitting in a sauna that I couldn't see out of which potentially could have been a blown head gasket, I then saw the pictures of it before it was painted and noticed he'd filled the rear arches and below the front mirrors and bootlid full of filler instead of cutting the rust out that's why they had started to bubble and the paint had reacted on the bonnet so for me to be 100% happy it needed a full paint job and rust repair

It was one of those cars that you were always worried if it would start or get you where you wanted to go without breaking down I'd pretty much lost all love for it

The fiesta is low and has a bit of stretch on the tyres but isn't overly low as I don't have to worry about speed humps or rubbing it's my way of reliving my youth as it seems most Fiesta owners are still of education age 😂😂
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikej857 For This Useful Post:
Fireball411 (03-10-2016), Soul boy 68 (25-09-2016)
Old 25-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
wrxmania

Garage
Looks a super car.
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
Mikej857 (25-09-2016)
Old 25-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Jonnybbad

Thanked 1,005 Times in 748 Posts
Garage
as much as I liked the rs and wished I could have bought it I think you made the right choice st looks bang on nicely stanced and power upgrades will be more than enough without having the same issues as the rs
Jonnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
*Dan*
Washmitt Meister

Not a fan of the gold wheels, do like the Fiesta St's though.
*Dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
Brian1612
DW Reviewer

Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,599 Posts
Loving those wheels Mike!
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote