Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #221
percymon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Excellent job on the headlights - would there normally be covers at the rear of the bulb holders ?

Hope the LEDs prove reliable, i know a few people who tried them on various GM and Nissan vehicles without success a year or so ago - either the bulbs failing (due to over heating and some units had big heat sinks/fan tails on) or the beam pattern being hopeless. In your case the LEDs look to be at similar distance from the base plate as the old bulbs so that should help the beam pattern aspect.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (15-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #222
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,721 Posts
Garage
Great update...

Just to note though, you say about HID kits being not so legal, I believe these LED upgrades in place of standard bulbs is also not quite legal.

I think the only place you are supposedly allowed to use them is if you swap Xenons for LED that have the proper auto adjustment etc.

I'm only saying this on the basis of what you said, if you already know this....then ignore me

Can't wait too see this finished, but then...we'll stop getting brilliant updates like this one.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (15-10-2018), SBM (20-10-2018)
Old 15-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #223
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Excellent job on the headlights - would there normally be covers at the rear of the bulb holders ?
Yes, I’ve left them off for now as the only option to have them fitted with the heat sink on the back of the bulb is to cut a hole in them, and I didn’t fancy doing that and it looking a bit naff
jas_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #224
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
Great update...

Just to note though, you say about HID kits being not so legal, I believe these LED upgrades in place of standard bulbs is also not quite legal.

I think the only place you are supposedly allowed to use them is if you swap Xenons for LED that have the proper auto adjustment etc.

I'm only saying this on the basis of what you said, if you already know this....then ignore me

Can't wait too see this finished, but then...we'll stop getting brilliant updates like this one.
I must admit I’d merely assumed the LED lights were legal when retro-fitted?! The MOT man will set me straight when the time comes I’m sure
Old 15-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #225
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_racing View Post
Yes, I’ve left them off for now as the only option to have them fitted with the heat sink on the back of the bulb is to cut a hole in them, and I didn’t fancy doing that and it looking a bit naff
Could you not fit the box inside the headlight unit? It’s what I have done with the hid ballast on my e46. If there is room you can use twin stick to secure it.

Love the work you’ve done on the car by the way and do let us know how those lights perform
JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #226
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Update time...and with a great conclusion!

Front brakes

The existing discs and pads were well past their best and needed replacing. The pads aren't an issue (Mintex fast road jobbies have proven good in the past) but the discs are specific drilled versions for the Plus model of the 20VT Coupé and not so easy to find now, for a sensible price anyway. Thankfully I managed to pick up some little-used genuine ones on eBay a while back for not a lot of money so they went on with the new pads.

Existing vs replacement:

Fitted:

A setback

I had noticed that for a while the coolant level had been dropping, and whilst I initially thought it was maybe due to airlocks in the system and thus more bleeding required, the real source revealed itself when I looked in the driver's footwell for the first time in a good while (I had been concentrating on external and under-bonnet stuff and not even looked at the interior for some weeks):

The heater matrix was the culprit, dripping away under the dash. A small amount had made its way to the passenger side too. A replacement unit was surprisingly cheap - £24 delivered. An easy enough job to do, just a few screws to undo and a steering column support bracket to remove to allow room to slide the old matrix out and the new one in.

Old matrix out:

New one fitted, with a little bit of silicon sealant on the connections to help things seal (new seals NLA from Fiat):

A refill of the coolant system, a thorough bleeding and all was well

Unfortunately the consequence of the leak was the saturated carpet and on the driver's side it had got through to and ruined the sound-deadening underneath. With all kinds of crud and stains on the carpet courtesy of the bodyshop it needed to come out for a thorough cleaning anyway:

Removed:

A couple of up-close shots:

I mopped up as much of the coolant as I could with cloths, then got stuck in with Megs APC to shampoo the whole carpet, then a few hours in the sun and it was all nicely dry.

During:

Done:

To replace the sound deadening on the driver's side I cut out and discarded the original stuff, it would never dry as it was as it's made of a fibreglass looking material that absorbs and holds moisture very well!

Removed:

The replacement piece was cut from a sheet of 1/2" thick general purpose under-carpet sound deadening from Woolies:

Cleaning up, rust treating and refitting the carpet

Before the carpet and indeed the rest of the interior could go back in the floor pan needed a good clean and a couple areas of light surface rust needed treating. First, inside the rear O/S quarter panel directly under the holes for the 'Pininfarina' badges (a common source of water leaking in and causing rust on Coupés):

You can see the sealant I applied some years ago to stop water coming in but it appears it wasn't 100% effective. Another small area on the floor pan under the rear bench seat:

Thankfully the N/S inner quarter has faired much better:

No treatment required.

But again there was a small patch under the bench on the N/S too:

My weapon of choice was BH Deox gel.

During treatment:

With that done I could continue the general clean up...before:

After:

The carpet could then go back in:

More cleaning and interior refitting

The dash needed a thorough clean...before:

After:

The centre dash panel was a sticky mess, another common problem on these cars:

I sourced a refurbished replacement from eBay:

Swapped over all the dials, vents and switches:

No pics of it fitted as yet, and in fact I've just realised that I haven't taken many photos of the refitted interior in general so will do so and post another update in due course.

The handbrake console was even worse:

Even after an attempt at cleaning it up its sadly beyond use:

I'm currently on the hunt for a refurbished replacement.

Boot cleaning and refitting

The boot after a thorough clean:

And with the carpet and trim refitted:

Tailgate underside before:

And with carpet panel refitted:

Bonnet liner

The bonnet liner cleaned up well, then was clipped back into place:

Front grill and fog/side-lights/indicators
I finally got onto refitting the front grill:

I fished out front fog/side-light/indicator units:

Nothing wrong with them that a good clean wouldn't sort.

The mini looms however weren't so good, with a broken connection on the side-light bulb on the O/S unit, disintegrating insulation, etc:

Side-light connection repaired:

And the mini looms cleaned up and re-wrapped with TESA loom tape:

Both units cleaned and ready to refit;

Refitted:

Finishing touches

New bonnet emblem fitted:

I had the wheels professionally refurbished and 4 brand new Toyo tyres fitted:

Two coats of Colly SDC and they could be refitted:

A pair of new number plates were fitted too and with that...

MOT time!!!

Whilst there's still a few more finishing touches to put on she was then ready for an MOT...the forecast for the day in question (yesterday, Saturday 3rd Nov) was dry so she was all set to go:

The drive over to the MOT place was the usual nervous affair, but she ran well and despite the tracking being miles off felt very nice to drive. The hybrid turbo spools up very quick too (not that I was giving her any beans and certainly not allowing much boost to build).

At the MOT station:

I was also allowed to get down in the pit and take some photos from underneath:

Not a drop of fluid of any kind!

The result........lots of compliments from the tester and a clean PASS with no advisories

A somewhat more relaxed drive home, but again without giving her any major beans, and I'm chuffed to bits. It's been a long road but finally I have her back on the road

Last edited by jas_racing; 04-11-2018 at 11:08 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (06-11-2018), Ennoch (04-11-2018), hoggers (05-11-2018), jammytask (07-11-2018), Joely P (04-11-2018), Mike1982 (05-11-2018), Peter D (05-11-2018), Philb1965 (06-11-2018), rob267 (05-11-2018), Starbuck88 (05-11-2018), transtek (04-11-2018), Tuddie (09-11-2018), VeiRoN (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #227
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

That is looking fantastic,congrats,it's very nice to see.
VeiRoN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (05-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #228
alfajim

Love it. Great job.
alfajim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfajim For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (05-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #229
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Not many cars make me stop and stare these days but these certainly do I enjoyed the Uno thread immensely but this has knocked things up a level! Congrats on the MOT and thank you for keeping us all updated, it's been a great read
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (05-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #230
AS_BO

What a treat at the end to see it on the road with a year’s ticket!

Thanks so much for documenting in such detail the lengths to restore this car, and the Uno. The Coupe looks stunning!

So what’s on the agenda next........? Fiat 124 maybe?
AS_BO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AS_BO For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (05-11-2018)