Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AUDI S5 phantom black machine correction - help

Hi guys! I've recently purchased an S5 in a phantom black metallic paint. But since getting the car home from Leeds to glasgow I've noticed loads of hazing and swirls and scratches which I'm guessing were hidden by the seller using fillers.

I have purchased a DA and am looking st spending the time correcting the car myself and hopefully learning the craft as I go.

Can any of you advise what you would use on paint like this in this condition and the steps?

Sorry the pictures are the best I could get

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
gibbo555
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
gibbo555's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omagh, Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 619
Thanked 755 Times in 527 Posts
Lovely car buddy, Audi paint is typically quite hard so you may have your work cut out.

I'm a fan of S20 Black, i would recommend getting it with a polishing pad such as 3M yellow and a finishing pad 3M blue or chemical guys hex logic black and see how it goes starting with the finishing first.
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister
 
Benfr16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 137
Thanks: 118
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Garage
There's some good videos by a guy called junkman2000 on YouTube maybe give those a watch if you need advice with technique. Some of your pictures look like there's some sort of buffer trails probably from poor use with a rotary polisher but these aren't usually too hard to remove.

Audi paint is typically hard although the advice is to use the least aggressive combination and try a finishing step (like the guy above said) but be aware that you might need some more agreessive products if you don't get the level of correction with that.
Benfr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,995
Thanks: 5,324
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,550 Posts
Garage
It is known to be tough paint to correct and at looking at your pictures it does seem like you have all the defects on your car and to be honest you'll be looking at a compound to remove or improve the defects. It all depends on what you want to achieve and you've never used a DA, so practicing on your own car might not be the best way to start your first go with a DA.

I would suggest either get yourself a test panel preferably a black one and if possible an Audi one if you can from a scrappy and practice on that first or if not then your better off starting with a polishing pad like the quantum white hex pad from chemical guys and a polish like Menzerna range 2200 is a good polish for hard paint. Practice first but ensure you fully decon your paint before any machine polishing plus you will need some sort of panel wipe as well to remove any polishing residue left.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Pars_Andy
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you just use some decent quality car shampoo diluted in a spray bottle to remove the residue?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pars_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo555 View Post
Lovely car buddy, Audi paint is typically quite hard so you may have your work cut out.

I'm a fan of S20 Black, i would recommend getting it with a polishing pad such as 3M yellow and a finishing pad 3M blue or chemical guys hex logic black and see how it goes starting with the finishing first.
Thanks gibby.

Isn't S20 like a finishing polish with some filler?

So what you're saying is use the least aggressive products and pads and increase aggressiveness until I start to see a difference? I've been seeing a lot of guys talking about megs M105 and 205? What's your thoughts on that?

Cheers mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfr16 View Post
There's some good videos by a guy called junkman2000 on YouTube maybe give those a watch if you need advice with technique. Some of your pictures look like there's some sort of buffer trails probably from poor use with a rotary polisher but these aren't usually too hard to remove.

Audi paint is typically hard although the advice is to use the least aggressive combination and try a finishing step (like the guy above said) but be aware that you might need some more agreessive products if you don't get the level of correction with that.
Thanks mate I'll check him out before I have a go!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
hoggy90
Unwashed Member
 
hoggy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
It is known to be tough paint to correct and at looking at your pictures it does seem like you have all the defects on your car and to be honest you'll be looking at a compound to remove or improve the defects. It all depends on what you want to achieve and you've never used a DA, so practicing on your own car might not be the best way to start your first go with a DA.

I would suggest either get yourself a test panel preferably a black one and if possible an Audi one if you can from a scrappy and practice on that first or if not then your better off starting with a polishing pad like the quantum white hex pad from chemical guys and a polish like Menzerna range 2200 is a good polish for hard paint. Practice first but ensure you fully decon your paint before any machine polishing plus you will need some sort of panel wipe as well to remove any polishing residue left.
Thanks chongo.

What do you recommend for decontamination of the paint? I've already got snowfoam and some new claybars?



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
gibbo555
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
gibbo555's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omagh, Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 619
Thanked 755 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy90 View Post
Thanks gibby.

Isn't S20 like a finishing polish with some filler?

So what you're saying is use the least aggressive products and pads and increase aggressiveness until I start to see a difference? I've been seeing a lot of guys talking about megs M105 and 205? What's your thoughts on that?

Cheers mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


S20 contains no fillers but is a finishing polish with excellent cut.

Yes always start least aggressive, no point going for overkill and taking away more clear coat than required.

M105 and 205 are still excellent products as well
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Hoppy1888
Unwashed Member
 
Hoppy1888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy90 View Post
Hi guys! I've recently purchased an S5 in a phantom black metallic paint. But since getting the car home from Leeds to glasgow I've noticed loads of hazing and swirls and scratches which I'm guessing were hidden by the seller using fillers.

I have purchased a DA and am looking st spending the time correcting the car myself and hopefully learning the craft as I go.

Can any of you advise what you would use on paint like this in this condition and the steps?

Sorry the pictures are the best I could get

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


Hi, why don't you have a look around your local area for authorised detailers and consider looking into getting a ceramic coating such as CarPro CQuartz, Fireball or Gtechniq.
It'll get the paint looking it's best and give you 2-3 years protection.
More fun doing it yourself though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoppy1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors