Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
hoggy90
Unwashed Member

AUDI S5 phantom black machine correction - help

Hi guys! I've recently purchased an S5 in a phantom black metallic paint. But since getting the car home from Leeds to glasgow I've noticed loads of hazing and swirls and scratches which I'm guessing were hidden by the seller using fillers.

I have purchased a DA and am looking st spending the time correcting the car myself and hopefully learning the craft as I go.

Can any of you advise what you would use on paint like this in this condition and the steps?

Sorry the pictures are the best I could get

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
hoggy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
gibbo555
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Lovely car buddy, Audi paint is typically quite hard so you may have your work cut out.

I'm a fan of S20 Black, i would recommend getting it with a polishing pad such as 3M yellow and a finishing pad 3M blue or chemical guys hex logic black and see how it goes starting with the finishing first.
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
There's some good videos by a guy called junkman2000 on YouTube maybe give those a watch if you need advice with technique. Some of your pictures look like there's some sort of buffer trails probably from poor use with a rotary polisher but these aren't usually too hard to remove.

Audi paint is typically hard although the advice is to use the least aggressive combination and try a finishing step (like the guy above said) but be aware that you might need some more agreessive products if you don't get the level of correction with that.
Benfr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,550 Posts
Garage
It is known to be tough paint to correct and at looking at your pictures it does seem like you have all the defects on your car and to be honest you'll be looking at a compound to remove or improve the defects. It all depends on what you want to achieve and you've never used a DA, so practicing on your own car might not be the best way to start your first go with a DA.

I would suggest either get yourself a test panel preferably a black one and if possible an Audi one if you can from a scrappy and practice on that first or if not then your better off starting with a polishing pad like the quantum white hex pad from chemical guys and a polish like Menzerna range 2200 is a good polish for hard paint. Practice first but ensure you fully decon your paint before any machine polishing plus you will need some sort of panel wipe as well to remove any polishing residue left.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Pars_Andy
Unwashed Member

Can you just use some decent quality car shampoo diluted in a spray bottle to remove the residue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pars_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
hoggy90
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo555 View Post
Lovely car buddy, Audi paint is typically quite hard so you may have your work cut out.

I'm a fan of S20 Black, i would recommend getting it with a polishing pad such as 3M yellow and a finishing pad 3M blue or chemical guys hex logic black and see how it goes starting with the finishing first.
Thanks gibby.

Isn't S20 like a finishing polish with some filler?

So what you're saying is use the least aggressive products and pads and increase aggressiveness until I start to see a difference? I've been seeing a lot of guys talking about megs M105 and 205? What's your thoughts on that?

Cheers mate

Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
hoggy90
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfr16 View Post
There's some good videos by a guy called junkman2000 on YouTube maybe give those a watch if you need advice with technique. Some of your pictures look like there's some sort of buffer trails probably from poor use with a rotary polisher but these aren't usually too hard to remove.

Audi paint is typically hard although the advice is to use the least aggressive combination and try a finishing step (like the guy above said) but be aware that you might need some more agreessive products if you don't get the level of correction with that.
Thanks mate I'll check him out before I have a go!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
hoggy90
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
It is known to be tough paint to correct and at looking at your pictures it does seem like you have all the defects on your car and to be honest you'll be looking at a compound to remove or improve the defects. It all depends on what you want to achieve and you've never used a DA, so practicing on your own car might not be the best way to start your first go with a DA.

I would suggest either get yourself a test panel preferably a black one and if possible an Audi one if you can from a scrappy and practice on that first or if not then your better off starting with a polishing pad like the quantum white hex pad from chemical guys and a polish like Menzerna range 2200 is a good polish for hard paint. Practice first but ensure you fully decon your paint before any machine polishing plus you will need some sort of panel wipe as well to remove any polishing residue left.
Thanks chongo.

What do you recommend for decontamination of the paint? I've already got snowfoam and some new claybars?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
gibbo555
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy90 View Post
Thanks gibby.

Isn't S20 like a finishing polish with some filler?

So what you're saying is use the least aggressive products and pads and increase aggressiveness until I start to see a difference? I've been seeing a lot of guys talking about megs M105 and 205? What's your thoughts on that?

Cheers mate

S20 contains no fillers but is a finishing polish with excellent cut.

Yes always start least aggressive, no point going for overkill and taking away more clear coat than required.

M105 and 205 are still excellent products as well
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Hoppy1888
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy90 View Post
Hi guys! I've recently purchased an S5 in a phantom black metallic paint. But since getting the car home from Leeds to glasgow I've noticed loads of hazing and swirls and scratches which I'm guessing were hidden by the seller using fillers.

I have purchased a DA and am looking st spending the time correcting the car myself and hopefully learning the craft as I go.

Can any of you advise what you would use on paint like this in this condition and the steps?

Sorry the pictures are the best I could get

Many thanks

Hi, why don't you have a look around your local area for authorised detailers and consider looking into getting a ceramic coating such as CarPro CQuartz, Fireball or Gtechniq.
It'll get the paint looking it's best and give you 2-3 years protection.
More fun doing it yourself though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoppy1888 is offline   Reply With Quote