Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 07-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Is a PDG Necessary Using Light Polishes?

Hi All,

I am finally 'biting the bullet' and looking to purchase a DA polisher (Das 6 Pro) and I'm looking to get tooled up correctly so I don't make a mess of my car's paint. That said, just to get started, I am looking to only use polishes from the finishing end of the spectrum, ie Menzerna Super Finish Plus 3800 and/or Menzerna Super Finish 3500. My car (2010 Focus ST) has a few light scratches but it's the swirls I am keen to reduce as much as possible ahead of a few Ford shows this year.

So, back to the main question, given this level of cut am reasonably safe not using a paint depth gauge with the proposed products? I have been considering Menzerna Medium Cut & Polish 2200 as well, but to be honest I want to take it one step at a time and I doubt I will have time for a multi-stage correction, particularly on my first go!

Any other advice, thoughts, opinions or encouragement are welcome!
G.Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
waqasr
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I would say no need personally. Your working with a DA which is safer already, then pretty mild polishes so your hardly going to be cutting through the clear.
waqasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for the reply. By the same token then, would you expect the same polishes to serve my purpose? I appreciate you haven't seen my car, but typically ought the polishes I mention at least begin to remove swirls?
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
VIPER
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,887 Times in 3,577 Posts
Garage
I've never used a PDG with my Menz polishes (and that includes the 3800 which is still my 'go to' light correction / finishing polish), and been fine. Now that may be seen as a bit of a 'gung ho' statement to make, as even with a DA and a relatively mild-cut polish, if the car's paint isn't that generous for whatever reason, in theory, there could still be a risk, but to be honest, if you're pretty confident the car's got its factory applied clear, then you'll be perfectly okay with what you're planning to do in my opinion.

I don't know that much about the gauges themselves and what's now out there for the money, but if it's anything like it was a few years ago, you really need to be spending quite a lot on equipment to determine exactly how much the paint thickness reading you're seeing is clear, how much is basecoat, primer etc. If it's only giving an overall thickness to the metal, then arguably it's not that much use to you unless you start measuring and comparing with non clear coated areas (if you have any). As I say, I've been away from that side of detailing for a while now, so I'll happily stand corrected if the new breed of affordable PDGs now give more accurate readings.
VIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
A PTG is useful to let you know how much paint you are removing in one set! One set on one type of paint might not remove a lot but on another it might remove more. Also gives an overall indication of paint thickness, plus identifies any areas that may have been repaired.
Someone is bound to post that it's essential etc. But O don't like to do that, take the information and you decide if you understand the risks it's up to you.
DavieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Thanks gents. Food for thought. I had budgeted for one so may as well be better safe than sorry. If I could've saved 200 notes then all the better!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
waqasr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Fraser View Post
Thanks for the reply. By the same token then, would you expect the same polishes to serve my purpose? I appreciate you haven't seen my car, but typically ought the polishes I mention at least begin to remove swirls?
For sure they are capable of removing light swirling. Not upto date with the new menz labeling but 106fa is a finishing polish with decent cut which will removes swirls.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
cheekymonkey
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,722 Posts
personally dont see how anyone can say you will be fine. they dont know how many times its been polished, if its lacquered or not. They know nothing about your paint. Yes you may be ok but its just a guess.
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #9
waqasr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymonkey View Post
personally dont see how anyone can say you will be fine. they dont know how many times its been polished, if its lacquered or not. They know nothing about your paint. Yes you may be ok but its just a guess.
Because the polishes hes mentioned are mild. Polishing hardly removes any paint, 1-2 microns and thats pushing it and using a rotary. Hes using a Das6.

Also fair enough it might have been polished a few times but unless hes going for a positector which measures each layer, he still wont know exactly how much clear he has left.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Thanks again or the great advice guys. The family are going away for a weekend at the end of the month, I'll let you know how I get on.