Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 22-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Single Stage DA Polish - First Timer Advice Needed

Hi All,

Ahead of a Ford show next weekend I've bought a DAS 6 Pro DA polisher with a view to improving the swirls in the paint of my Focus ST. There are also some light scratches but at this stage I'll be happy with just an improvement in those. Due to work and family life, I only have one day to decon, wash and machine polish my car and as this is my first go I think I'll be lucky to get all that done in one day. As a such, my question is about what polish/pad combination I should use for a one stage 'correction'. The pads and polishes I have are as follows:

Menzerna Super Finish 3500 (PO106FA)
Menzerna Medium Cut 2200 (PO 234)

Menzerna Polishing Pad
Menzerna Finishing Pad

My paint isn't that bad and I understand that best practice is to start with the lightest touch combination first. Do you guys think I should just go over the car with the 3500 and finishing pad? I just wonder if this will simply buff the paint up nicely but not even touch the swirls. Any other suggestions of pad/polish combinations?

For your reference, I've also bought a PDG and have consistent paint depth of around 145-150 microns over the car. I also have a spare body panel for an initial practice.

Any thoughts and tips will be gratefully received?
G.Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,949 Posts
Garage
Just go over it with Menzerna 2200 with the polishing pad should remove the swirls but practice first and hone in on your polishing skills first.

If you feel that it's still showing some of the deeper scratches and swirls then you can always go over the car with a glaze whic will fill some of swirls then just use whatever LSP you've got.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Cool, to be honest the company I bought the gear from suggested that combination also. Not having done this before though I didn't know that combination would need a further refining polish?
Old 25-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Anyone able to give an idea as to how long it will likely take me to DA my Focus? I will definitely only be making one pass. I'm just growing a little anxious that I'll not be able to do the machine polishing part in an afternoon, although it's not a big car...
Old 25-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Don't expect perfect results- but any polishing will make your car look better so just calculate how much time you will need to apply your lsp, the rest of the time available can be divided across your panels including Wipe down. Concentrate on bonnet, boot and top of wings/doors if necessary as they are the most noticeable panels Imo
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Deje
PC Perfectionist

As a novice you want all the odds on your side, working under time pressure is not one of them!
Deje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deje For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (26-04-2017)
Old 25-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,970 Times in 2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Fraser View Post
..... I will definitely only be making one pass.....
With Menzerna polishes, one pass will not be enough. The polish needs to be broken down to give best results. If time is heavily constrained then focus on doing a few panels well. Your car does not care if the panels are polished over several sessions
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
AndyN01

Fully agree with the above 2 posts.

This is an enjoyable hobby, not the workhouse.

IMHO the most effective way to make someone mess up is to put them under a tight time pressure. Watch something like Professional Masterchef and you'll see people who make their living cooking food making simple errors that when they look back they spot instantly but didn't at the time because they were too "rushed" in the process.

You need to be able to get a feel for how the polish is working, how much to use, what speeds and pressure to use etc. etc. etc. and this comes from research (us reading, watching videos etc.) doing and reflecting.

Far better to take plenty of time working on, say, the bonnet because the knowledge and understanding you'll gain will make the next panel that bit easier/quicker/better.

As the Junkman says "Technique trumps product every time" and technique has to be learnt.

Let us know how you get on and post a few before/after pics.

All the best with it.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
luke w (18-06-2017), Soapybubbles (17-08-2017)
Old 26-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
scuba-phil
Orbital Oracle

i would allow a weekend as the prep to get the car ready to polish can take 6 hours including taping up.
scuba-phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
Leebo310

As others have mentioned, it'll be virtually impossible to do in the time frame you have, especially with Menz polishes as they take a while to break down.
If you really are that short of time, I'd suggest using some sort of pre wax cleaner/glaze for the show on the weekend. Use Blackfire GEP on the finishing pad and you'll be surprised how much it reduces the appearance of the swirls (there's a great thread in the showroom where Stangalang used this combo on a Boxter I believe and the difference is huge). As it's a filler and cleaner rather than abrasive, you can do one pass and as long as it's worked in properly, this will be much quicker than if you had to break down the Menz polish. Then top this with whatever wax/LSP you want.
Get the show out of the way and then properly polish over a series of evenings/days doing a panel or two at a time with the polishing pad/P0234 combo.
Leebo310 is offline   Reply With Quote