Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 15-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #191
wanner69
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,223 Times in 775 Posts
Brilliant thread and congrats on your work, fantastic job, well done
wanner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #192
Arwel
Sponge Jockey

Awesome, what a sense of achievement it must have been getting that pass certificate. Look forward to further updates
Arwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #193
Arfman
Sponge Jockey

Garage
This thread is gold. Awesome work!
Arfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #194
Sharpy296
Washmitt Meister

Nice... very tempted to buy a cheap MG ZS 2.5 v6 that has a clutch and HG issue... This is giving me inspiration!!
Sharpy296 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #195
petebak
Sponge Jockey

What a fantastic write up, this felt like I was reading a good novel, I just could'nt wait to read the next chapter.

Well done for all the hard work, not just with the mini, but with the writing and pictures, absolutely fantastic
petebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #196
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Part 13

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I'm so glad you have enjoyed following this thread. Initially, I wasn't sure if anyone would be bothered!

The car is performing really well. I still need to sort the previously mentioned intermittent ABS/ASC/TPMS lights - I've found that it's known as the "Trifecta" in BMW land. Sounds very similar to "The Three Amigos" that Land Rovers suffer with! I'll clean the ABS sensors at my leisure, as I can live with it for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_walker View Post
what if we tried some tardis with an IPA wipedown after?

Yeah that Tardis stuff would remove me altogether!

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Fabulous result

Just need to keep an eye and ear out for the next few weeks for any issues like sticking brake calipers etc. And a change of oil and filter of course.
Thanks! The oil change is scheduled for this weekend. Let's see how much of it I can spill this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4291 View Post
Congratulations on a great job! Now go do some hooning and enjoy the thing!
Hooning, me? I couldn't possibly comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy296 View Post
Nice... very tempted to buy a cheap MG ZS 2.5 v6 that has a clutch and HG issue... This is giving me inspiration!!
A KV6 with head gasket failure, surely not!

Go on, I need a decent build thread to get stuck into!

Here are a few pictures from the last few days.

MOT - advisories

A beautiful MG ZT-T V8 that arrived for an MOT - a very rare beast. I had to speak to the owner, I recognised what it was as he pulled in - it doesn't sound like it looks!!!

The interior of the car was still nice and clean

My observations so far:

-The torque is ridiculous - it pulls hard from 1500 revs in any given gear, I suppose this is due to the supercharger.

-It sounds amazing. I've found myself driving with the windows down most of the time so that I can hear the exhaust popping on the over-run. And when revved over 4000rpm, it sounds like it's having some sort of climax

-The lack of run-flats make for a much more compliant ride - it is by no means comfortable, but the difference between this any my Mum's run-flat equipped car is remarkable.

-Mini must have screwed everything together better in the LCI (facelift) models, the interior rattles a lot less than the older models.

-The boot is rubbish, I've got a bottle of oil, water and my Autoglym bag in there - and it's got space for about two shopping bags

I took my half brothers to the cinema to see Cars 3 today (i'll be honest - I wanted to see it ... I just used them as an excuse) the car performed brilliantly.

After that, I went round to see the previous owner - she was really impressed with how the car was looking and got me to start up the engine so she could hear it again! She also gave me the original remote key - so now I've got remote locking and a less cheap feeling key!

I have ordered a new pair of spot lights for the bonnet and some 'chrome' indicator bulbs to remove the orange from the lenses. They should be here towards the end of the week.

I'm also getting ready to put my private plate on it - I am currently struggling to get the rear plate off, as the screws have rusted really badly. I'm going to drill the heads off, but I need to buy some HSS drill bits as mine are totally useless.

Last edited by jbenekeorr; 27-08-2017 at 11:42 PM.
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
Bustanut (17-03-2018), JoeyTaffy93 (16-08-2017), OldskoolRS (04-03-2018), Rodriguez (13-02-2018), SBM (23-10-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #197
eibbor
Washmitt Meister

This has been a great thread. Enjoyed every bit of it. Hope it spurs other people to make resurrection threads they are by far my favourite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eibbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #198
transtek

If your windscreen only has a couple of stone chips or small defects, try one of the windscreen repair kits from ebay or amazon. After watching youtube videos, I bought one for a chips about a cm across, and it came out great, you can hardly see anything at all. Well worth a punt!
Great project BTW, hats off to you and the write-ups are witty and informative. I hope you got an "A" grade from your English teacher
transtek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transtek For This Useful Post:
streaky (24-01-2018)
Old 15-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #199
wrxmania

Garage
Glad she did not want the car back

Now to keep chipping away, sorting all the things you want to and keep it running for a long time to come.
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #200
Rab W19
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by transtek View Post
If your windscreen only has a couple of stone chips or small defects, try one of the windscreen repair kits from ebay or amazon. After watching youtube videos, I bought one for a chips about a cm across, and it came out great, you can hardly see anything at all. Well worth a punt!
Great project BTW, hats off to you and the write-ups are witty and informative. I hope you got an "A" grade from your English teacher
or just claim your windscreen cover with the assistance of a hammer
Rab W19 is offline   Reply With Quote