Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 09-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
FletchCossie
Unwashed Member

Stage of Detail?

How can I tell how well my car has been detailed/protected?

I own a 2016 Skoda Octavia in race blue (I think its called) and it has a few very fine scratches in places which I would like removed. My issue is the car seems very clean, i.e. I cannot see any swirl marks (Under normal light) and the water seems to beed/run off very well (Comes flying through the drivers window after rain lol).

I am keen on detailing, but I havent washed my own cars in many years, but would like to keep this car in good condition if possible. I have been quoted for a detail/3 year protection which I am interested in from a local company, but my issue is if the car is already protected is it worth spending that money or just getting these fine marks removed?

Any suggestions please as Im new to detailing and want the best for the paint obviously.

Thanks
FletchCossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
DimitriUK
Washmitt Meister

is the car daily driver?
is it kept in a garage?
DimitriUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Joel93
Unwashed Member

Personally I’d try removing the light scratches by hand and wax the car regularly, you can keep on top of any new scratches as they appear.
Joel93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
FletchCossie
Unwashed Member

Hi Dimitri, the car is used daily

Joel, sadly I have no idea how to just yet, but will look into it on this forum.

Would a detail by a company potentially ruin any current protection the paint has?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,164 Posts
Garage
If it's a good reputable company then they should be fine with you approaching them and asking similar questions that you've asked on here. That way they should be able to tailor their package to suit your needs and if not then I'd consider going elsewhere.

Depending in what you've been quoted for already I'd expect a company to do a full decontamination of your paintwork prior to either correction work or final protection meaning it would remove any previous protection you've got in place.

If it's a daily driver you'll never have it perfect for long so you need to consider your options if it's worth going for a full on correction as you likely get stone chips, marks on the paint etc from your daily driving.

If it was me in your position I'd have a good research on the forum and do it myself

Last edited by macca666; 10-08-2018 at 11:44 AM.
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
MBRuss

If the detail company machine polish the car, then yes, it'd remove the protection.

But who knows what's on there. It could be a simple wax from a wash & wax type shampoo, or it could be a ceramic coating. Who knows.

If it's the former then who cares if they get rid of the wax, but if it's a coating then it'd be a shame to get rid of it just to apply another. That said, it'd be harder to remove a ceramic coating in the first place.

You could always get some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and wipe a panel down, then see if it still beads. If not, then it wasn't ceramic coated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
percymon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchCossie View Post
How can I tell how well my car has been detailed/protected?

I own a 2016 Skoda Octavia in race blue (I think its called) and it has a few very fine scratches in places which I would like removed. My issue is the car seems very clean, i.e. I cannot see any swirl marks (Under normal light) and the water seems to beed/run off very well (Comes flying through the drivers window after rain lol).

I am keen on detailing, but I havent washed my own cars in many years, but would like to keep this car in good condition if possible. I have been quoted for a detail/3 year protection which I am interested in from a local company, but my issue is if the car is already protected is it worth spending that money or just getting these fine marks removed?

Any suggestions please as Im new to detailing and want the best for the paint obviously.

Thanks
Is this a new purchase ? From a dealer ?, if so ask them what prep they did ?

Who is washing the car if you're not ?

If you've owned it some time, and its showing little signs of swirls then it may well be ceramic coated.

Perhaps contact the supplying dealer to see if they gave it an exterior package (such as Autoglym LifeShine) ?
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
FletchCossie
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca666 View Post
If it's a good reputable company then they should be fine with you approaching them and asking similar questions that you've asked on here. That way they should be able to tailor their package to suit your needs and if not then I'd consider going elsewhere.

Depending in what you've been quoted for already I'd expect a company to do a full decontamination of your paintwork prior to either correction work or final protection meaning it would remove any previous protection you've got in place.

If it's a daily driver you'll never have it perfect for long so you need to consider your options if it's worth going for a full on correction as you likely get stone chips, marks on the paint etc from your daily driving.

If it was me in your position I'd have a good research on the forum and do it myself
Thanks Macca, I didn't think to even ask the company. I am extremely fussy on who I ask to work on my cars and I try to research everything before the car is touched to ensure I am getting good value or I can do it myself. Ive already got some items ready to buy for a full clean on the car, but waiting on getting a wheel refurb (Damage done prior to purchase) and some film placed on the bumper to stop scratches from the boot lid (Will be cleaned prior to fitting). Once these are done I will give it a proper clean thanks to things Ive read on here already and see how it comes out
The Following User Says Thank You to FletchCossie For This Useful Post:
macca666 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
FletchCossie
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRuss View Post
If the detail company machine polish the car, then yes, it'd remove the protection.

But who knows what's on there. It could be a simple wax from a wash & wax type shampoo, or it could be a ceramic coating. Who knows.

If it's the former then who cares if they get rid of the wax, but if it's a coating then it'd be a shame to get rid of it just to apply another. That said, it'd be harder to remove a ceramic coating in the first place.

You could always get some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and wipe a panel down, then see if it still beads. If not, then it wasn't ceramic coated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks MBRuss, As I just stated above I am going to give the car a full clean and see how it comes out. Im picking up some bits tonight to try get rid of the little makes and then re-wax them sections to see how they come up. I will try a panel wipe when I get the chance to see what happens
Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
FletchCossie
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Is this a new purchase ? From a dealer ?, if so ask them what prep they did ?

Who is washing the car if you're not ?

If you've owned it some time, and its showing little signs of swirls then it may well be ceramic coated.

Perhaps contact the supplying dealer to see if they gave it an exterior package (such as Autoglym LifeShine) ?
Was purchased 2nd hand, but I could ask the dealer if any protection was put on the vehicle when new. Good idea, thank you I cannot see any swirls just yet, but obviously a good clean by myself and I can check the paint out better.